1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between SQL and MySQL??

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ggiindia, Oct 10, 2012.

Hello Guys,

I'm new in programming language and want to learn SQL but I'm little bit confused in MySQL and SQL....So guys tell me what is the difference between SQL and MySQL??

ggiindia, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  2. rebbicajackson

rebbicajackson Peon

Best Answers:
    Both Sql and Mysql are used for maintaining database. Sql is developed by Oracle corporation and Mysql developed by Microsoft. Mysql is an open source but not Sql. I think there is no much difference between these to languages because every database language should follow RDBMS rules.

rebbicajackson, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  3. junedc

junedc Active Member

Best Answers:
    The main difference between the two are the predefined functions built within. Like 'decode' function in oracle, in mysql i think its 'IF'.

junedc, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  4. _MasterOfPuppets_

_MasterOfPuppets_ Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL is a Language
    MySQL is a Database System

_MasterOfPuppets_, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  5. Digital_lover

Digital_lover Member

Best Answers:
    There are a number of differences between SQL and MySQL privileges system. For example, in MySQL privileges for a table are not automatically revoked when you delete a table. You must explicitly issue a revoke statement to revoke privileges for a table.

Digital_lover, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  6. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The ONLY difference between them, as MasterOfPuppets said, is that SQL is a language used to communicate with databases and MySQL is one particular database. (SQL is NOT Microsoft SQL Server.) SQL was NOT developed by Oracle, it was developed by Boyce and Chamberlin at IBM. (SQL stands for Structured Query Language.)

Rukbat, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  7. gauravyadav

gauravyadav Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL is a common database computer language designed for the retrieval and management of data in relational database management systems (RDBMS) -- basically a standard interactive and programming language for querying and modifying data and managing databases. Very standard for uses ranging from the simplest Microsoft Access applications, up to complex multi-server distributed Oracle applications.

MySQL is a multithreaded, multi-user SQL database management system (DBMS) providing multi-user access to a number of databases. MySQL is commonly the back engine database for a great many applications, and often the database of choice for web-based applications.

Comparing the two is a little like comparing the English language to Tom Clancey's last book, one uses the other -- but from there the differences are many.

gauravyadav, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  8. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You got some things wrong there.
    SQL is a query language used to store, retrieve and modify information in a database. MySQL is a data base management system which uses SQL to handle the database. It is developed by Oracle Inc. It is open source platform. MsSQL is another such database management system which uses SQL. It is developed by Microsoft and is not open source(surely its from Microsoft).

traxport121, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  9. Eddiesharpp

Eddiesharpp Peon

Best Answers:
    As per my knowledge sql is a programming language and it means structured query language. It is helpful to restore data in database. On the other hand Mysql is an tool and sql is a standard language.

Eddiesharpp, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  10. MS.USD

MS.USD Peon

Best Answers:
    sql Is the language that enables you to deal with databases such as Mysql

MS.USD, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  11. coakleylincoln

coakleylincoln Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi everybody its perfect time and place for my query. I just created small software in java net-beans for my office employ's details and I'm using SQL 2005 as a backend. Today when I was looking into employ table, the power suddenly shutdown and comes again after i tried to open sql but i couldn't open that. Do you know why?

coakleylincoln, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  12. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL=structure query language,
    My SQL it's another form of SQL ,
    mysql is suitable for PHP back end.

lolpasslol, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  13. markabiyn02

markabiyn02 Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL is one of several database systems, or RDMS (Relational Database Management System). MySQL is one of several RDMS's, others of which are Oracle, Informix, Postgres, and MSQL.
    All of these RDMSs use SQL as their language. Each of them have minor variations in the "dialect" of SQL that they use, but it's all still SQL.

markabiyn02, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  14. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    SQL is a query language, you cannot program in it.

traxport121, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  15. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    traxport, tell that to all the people writing huge programs in SQL. There are dialects that allow all sorts of programming, it's not limited to CRUD functions.

Rukbat, Jan 5, 2013 IP
  16. shuman202

shuman202 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    that's the right answer
    MySQL is a Database System uses SQL language

shuman202, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  17. Rohit_Singhal

Rohit_Singhal Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically, the difference between SQL and MySQL is the same as the difference between Spanish and Mexicans. Spanish is a language. Mexicans are one of a group of people that use Spanish. Mexican Spanish and Spaniard Spanish are mildly different in dialects, but they're still Spanish.

Hope this help!

Rohit_Singhal, Jan 11, 2013 IP