1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Russian speakers help please

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by dolarski, Nov 18, 2012.

My knowledge of Russian in only very basic, but I am about to have a microsite translated into that language. Can I order a domain name in Cyrillic? If not how do I transliterate my domain into Russian? - E.g. if my site is about cars, should the domain name ideally be cars.ru (in English) or avtomobili.ru? When I type автомобили into Google, I find only sites whose domain name is in Latin script, e.g. carsguru.net, automobili.ru, mobile.bg, auto.ru etc. Are there rules about transliterating from Cyrillic to Latin? automobili.ru or avtomobili.ru?

dolarski, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  2. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely you can buy Russian IDNs in Cyrillics!! But keep in mind all the good Russian names have been gone for a while now & good names sell for good money too.

htmlindex, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  3. dolarski

dolarski Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Would you say that the .ru extension is vital if I aim at Russian speakers, or will a .com or .co work equally well?

dolarski, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  4. seodrive

seodrive Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you promote your site (or products) to the russian market, the .ru domain will be better for Yandex and russian Google.

seodrive, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  5. Evgheni

Evgheni Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can order a domain in Cyrillic. This domain is .рф (РФ means Russian Federation) and it appeared on 2010 but still not so popular such .ru
    You can register РФ domain from 3$ with one of resellers and up to 20$ if you deal with registrar directly.

But using the РФ domain is uncomfortably even in Russia. You can register beautiful name автомобили.рф but if your friend live in Germany, for example, and not have keyboard with cyrillic letters, he should be write the terrible URL xn--80acczarepb1b.xn--p1ai instead. You can see it youself by typing both URL addresses in your browser ;)

What's about automobili.ru or avtomobili.ru - the second is correctly but both of them would be well-reading by Russians.

Evgheni, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  6. anchous

anchous Peon

Best Answers:
    in russia most webmasters prefer to use transliterating domains in .ru or .su (less popular) zones

anchous, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  7. sandao

sandao Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think .com domains work equally well as .ru I know that people talk about .ru domain better for yandex etc. but if you have good useful site .com domains are good too.

sandao, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  8. seodrive

seodrive Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's true but it's not easy to get a good .com name. And the price of .com is about $10. The price of .ru is about $3. It matters if you need 100 or 200 domain names.

seodrive, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  9. dolarski

dolarski Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    .ru seems like a logical choice indeed. However my current registrars Namecheap and Name.com don't seem to offer that tld. Which registrar (accepting Paypal) do you recommend?

dolarski, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  10. seodrive

seodrive Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Namevault.

seodrive, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  11. ATBdesign

ATBdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    The correct answer is avtomobili.ru, in Cyrillic domain name it would sound like автомобили.рф
    I am not sure about the future of Cyrillic domains, so I would recommend you to use latin domains with russian pronunciation. If you need any help on this, PM me.

ATBdesign, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  12. cpabux.com

cpabux.com Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.webnames.ru/en/index.pl

cpabux.com, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  13. Deltahost

Deltahost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both is good

You can order your domain name in cyrillic. It will be: автомобили.рф
    You can register this domain with REG.RU: http://www.reg.com/