1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My DMOZ listing tips

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by 360webfirm, Dec 24, 2012.

1. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope I get in as well :)

I will keep you informed once I find out more info. perseverance is one of my strong points. :)

Happy New Year to all of you..

360webfirm, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As snooks says,don't read anything at all into the fact that you have no heard, holidays etc mean our senior editors,like the rest of us, have been busy with many things.

Neither snooks or I are senior enough to deal with editor applications,so our comments are from being around,but I think if DMOZ Metas told you exactly what was wrong,they do give some pointers, then the next application would be more their work than yours, if you see what I mean. Only give up if you are told not to re-apply, and that does happen when it is clear that the person really is not material to become an editor.

If you are accepted y ou will be given editing 'privileges' (it is what DMOZ calls them) in a smallish section to get to understand the basics and then you can apply for more privs.

(Snooks either get a spell checker or use it.......
    I know you are going to say the smiley face meant it was deliberate LOL. And a happy New Year,new years day must be nearly over where you are!

Anonymously, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  3. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Official decision was to deny your reinstatement request.

photofox, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Interesting that new editor applications are processed and responded to much more quickly than reinstatements.

sarahk, Jan 3, 2013 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly reviewing any applications for editors is above my pay grade!

Secondly looking at RZ forums,it looks as though DMOZ is behind with editor applications, but my GUESS is that applications are like suggestions, meta editors have to volunteer to look at any application and they are not just taken as a list. That assumption/guess comes from believing that some Metas would be better qualified to look at editor applications in areas of the directory that they are most comfortable in. Like I am an editall and can edit anywhere,but rarely edit out of certain sections.

Having said all that it is still sad that we do not look at editor applications or reinstatements more promptly.....because we need the editors.

If your reinstatement is still outstanding, you could ask in RZ forum, but you would probably be told that it was awaiting review. Though reading on here the decision seemed to be taken about Q, (Jim said "to put you out of your misery" http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2330022&page=3#post17839452) but looked as though he was not informed of it.

Anonymously, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    by YEARS!

This is not an official forum for DMOZ discussions... as pointed out by so many editors.

Though, thanks for the update, it only took HOW many years? Was it so hard to shoot me out an actual email telling me that?

And isn't such things covered under the confidentiality guidelines? I mean, why finally come out and tell me I got rejected in public, when so many others get private emails?

Double standard maybe?

But now that official statements from the ODP are being posted here at Digital Point, how about site reviews now?

But on a different note, look at the things I am against within the ODP, look at the few edits I did, and the reasoning behind why there were so few (as in just after the big crash where there were no help files or that much help within the chaos).

The notion that I would be a bad editor, and bad for the community is based on these facts:

• I am against Topix and editor sites having multiple listings that should not
    • I am against paid links, but know they exist
    • I want what is best for the end user (by removing un-needed trash and rubbish like topix)
    • I am against editors treating others like un-needed trash (like how many editors here treat most people)
    • I do not resort to name calling
    • I follow the rules here on Digital Point, yet most of the posting editors have been banned at least once here.
    • I believe that there should be more openness within the system
    • And better communication between editor and the end user.
    But yeah, I am just a bitter ex-editor troll...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Qryztufre, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For once Q has spoken a fact and one that i can agree 100% with :)

snooks, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I am glad that you agree with my post snooks. It shows that someone that expects the ODP to follow it's own guidelines means they are bitter, while those that defend rule breaking are not.

Gotcha!

9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...dont assume i agree with your post......i agree only with your admittance of
    :)

snooks, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Ahhh.... so what you are doing is taking something out of context and twisting my sarcasm into your own. It's good to know that when you say I twist things you are meaning it as a good thing, as it's something you clearly are for doing yourself :D

11. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really? I did not know that...:rolleyes:

That decision was made in 2009, you could have requested an update at RZ back in 2009 if you if did not receive any email notification.

No double standard, you frequently talk about your reinstatement request publicly in this forum, so figured you'd be fine with a public answer.

Not an official statement, just telling you what the official decision was.

photofox, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As anon pointed out above, I gave Q the same news back in July 2012. I wonder why he didn't complain about privacy issues then.

jimnoble, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Ok kids, this is wandering too far off topic, this is 360webfirm's thread, after all.

sarahk, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My apologies :( I will refrain from posting any further in the thread.

Sorry 360Web.

snooks, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

So if I get this correctly, the official statement will never happen, as unofficially I have been told.

Now I understand how the ODP works, thanks!

Qryztufre, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  16. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have been told by ODP unofficially that the official word is not official but that if anyone asks you were unofficially declined, but for the record, not officially.

I don't understand why you can't understand what ODP is trying to tell you! (unofficially) :)

joeventura, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  17. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been told by the ODP not to apply again. I honestly did not know what they meant by disclosing all the sites I am affiliated with. I thought I did. I have also lost points in this forum for posting in this thread. I just cant win. :(

At least the ODP gave me 4 chances to get it right. They did not have to do this and for this I have respect for them. Even though I was declined and will never be able to re-apply again, I still think the ODP is a great resource for the internet and still have respect for everything they do.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and for all your advice.

360webfirm, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  18. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said, you never had a chance.

joeventura, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  19. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I just dont get it to be honest with you. I have the willingness to help, I am not trying to get in for my own personal gain, and I definitely have the experience with my education, skills, and training on the internet.

With the sites ( you are affiliated with ) does anyone know if this means the websites I have built? Or simple the websites that I own and use for my business. This is something I could not understand...

It could have been the all my landing pages I have and only disclosed a few of them. ( I have like 50 landing pages that re-direct back to my main website and would never put them in the directory as they are just extra tools for exposure ) I run an honest business. I deal with lots of people on a regular basis with my business and have always suggested their sites into DMOZ because I believe in what they do. I will continue to do this because even though I was refused, I still am a believer.

I know the DMOZ crew does not send personal emails to people and tell them exactly what they are looking for because this is not the way they work. I would have thought though because they knew I was so interested in helping, they could have made an exception and said to me in an email that I should have disclosed all my sites such as.... I think what they were looking for is my honesty to do what they wanted me to do and to show that I am not spamming the directory with all my landing pages and adding websites that should not be there. This is something I would not do because it would just get me kicked from being an editor and this was not my intentions.

I am going to sell all my landing pages, clear up my websites, and having just one main website for my business. I think the days of landing pages and trying to get extra exposure are gone and I do ok with just my main website anyways.

For people that are interested in becoming an editor, make sure you are clear on the affiliate sites and tell them everything because if you dont, DMOZ will think you are not honest and truthful and you will not get the chance to become an editor - BIG TIME lesson learned on my part... I should have taken the time to list every single website I have created and every single website/blog I am affiliated with, even though the list would be long..

Good luck to all of you who apply. I still feel it is really worth the time and effort. :)

360webfirm, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not luck. As I've said several times here over the years, we're looking for several attributes and a candidate needs to demonstrate all of them.

- Integrity - demonstrated by absence of lies.
    - Communication skills in the language of the category - including grammar, spelling and the ability to read a question and any previous specific reviewer comments..
    - An understanding of the category - demonstrated by the examples.
    - Attention to detail.

Other than integrity, some leeway is given.

jimnoble, Jan 17, 2013 IP