1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to deal with fraudulent credit card claims for digital services

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by gpx123, Dec 22, 2012.

I have multiple websites that offer online services, with subscriptions of 30, 60, 90 days etc. Doesn't happen alot but I get the occasional scammer that buys 90 days of service, uses it, after 90 days files a credit card unauthorized claim and wins. What is the best way to win these claims? Secondly whats the best way to report these fraudsters for online fraud, I don't get alot of these but I don't want it to become a habit and so if I can report them or something and they notice they might not dare do it again. Thanks for the help guys!

gpx123, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  2. LennonNZ

LennonNZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are these stolen Credit Cards and the real owner is reversing the charge which is 100% valid thing to do. Then its up to the merchant to get the $$ off the person who used it. This is how CC's works as you being the merchant.

Or are you saying its a non - stolen card and the real owner uses it and then reverses the charge?

LennonNZ, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  3. gpx123

gpx123 Member

Best Answers:
    No yeah its definitely the real owners simply filing it as a non-authorized purchase cause its the easier route to getting a refund. Also I just mentioned non-authorized cause thats the most frequent but they file all types of false chargebacks. So wondering what is the best way to combat this.

gpx123, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  4. LennonNZ

LennonNZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you are dealing with a bank directly or using a third party but as long as you can prove they acquired the service/product from you, you should be able to file a dispute with your bank regarding this.

LennonNZ, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  5. gpx123

gpx123 Member

Best Answers:
    I have my own merchant account but also accept payments through paypal which seems to be where most them come from.

gpx123, Dec 22, 2012 IP
  6. Respite

Respite Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe if you counter claim a charge-back the fees can go as upward of $500 if you lose which is just ridiculously expense. Honestly they need to tighten up the process putting in a chargeback, banks need to thoroughly investigate these charge-back requests.

Respite, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  7. jorack

jorack Peon

Best Answers:
    I second gpx123 response. I just had a $195 reversal from paypal because of fradulent purchases. I am going to get a merchant account and work directly with them. PayPal seems to cost too much in the long run with fees and fraud.

jorack, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  8. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If there is any proof that they purchase the digital services from you then you are able to file an argument with your bank regarding this.

afoley77, Jan 4, 2013 IP