1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Aged Domains

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by minnseoelite, Nov 29, 2006.

I just recently bought a 3 year old domain as I heard that aged domains are not subject to the sandbox effect. My question is if I tranfer the domain from Godaddy to my current hosting provider as the registrar will the domain loose its status as an aged domain and fall subject to the Google sandbox or will it still have its aged status since the domain has never expired.

minnseoelite, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  2. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you keep the old content, perhaps developing the site further, I don't see why the age should be lost. But I have no experience with this.

kh7, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  3. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO transferring registrars won't affect on the age of the domain.
    good luck

angelfire, Nov 29, 2006 IP
    genkied likes this.
  4. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Nope, infact when you transfer domain from one registrator to other your domain recieve one year renewal..:)
    Saad

saadahmed007, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  5. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm that's interesting but still the domain history remains so the aged of the domain remains.
    :confused:

angelfire, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  6. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    the domain will still keep it's age regardless how many times it's expired/bought/transfered

The one thing to watch out for is making sure that the domain hasn't been red-flagged or something similar

Dudibob, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  7. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Yes, the age remains when you transfer a domain only expiration date changes not creation date! :)
    Saad

saadahmed007, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  8. rakeback

rakeback Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure about that? If you let a domain expire and register it after it is released in the namepool, the new registration date is shown as the Creation Date of the domain.

rakeback, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  9. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the domain has not been hosted their is no age in Googles eyes and as far as I know none of the other search engines really care. A site has to be hosted not just registered. Use the wayback machine to check a sites history.

visio, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  10. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm very sure, spammers do it a lot. When a domain expires, you pick it up for peanuts, usually has good age, PR and backlinks behind it. Spammers paradise

Dudibob, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  11. SLM-why

SLM-why Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Changing whois details of a domain name can put the site in sandbox. The domain will not be sandboxed unless you change the whois details no matter how many times you transfer it to different registrars.

I doubt, Changing whois details of the domain can put the site in sandbox.

SLM-why, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  12. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    sandbox... I have never ever been hit by the sand box I'm proud to say which makes me doubt it's existence.

Plus anyway the sandbox is more for 'young' sites (get it, young un's get to play in the sandbox until there 'old' enough to cope) not really for anything else

Dudibob, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  13. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your right it is only for new sites. And I have not had trouble with it either. It is IMO very good at catching spam and if you have a good site you can stay away from it.

visio, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  14. SLM-why

SLM-why Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, while you guys visio and Dudibob have the right to disagree, I certainly believe that sandbox effect can be triggered when the whois details of a domain name are changed. Google wouldn't have become an ICCAN registrar if it does not want to use whois data to improve its search results IMO

SLM-why, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  15. Gnet

Gnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not sure but i would say google will still index your site.

Gnet, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  16. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Change one thing at a time. If you change whois, content, host and registrar all at the same time its going to look like its sold.

mad4, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  17. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    you're right that it's possible, but it's not happening currently, and I know that from personal experience. :)

expired domains are one thing-- avoid them. transfered domains are something else entirely.

I agree that those that want to be conservative about it all should do that. however, I haven't had any problem with doing that and logically there's no reason for google to punish that (not that that guarantees anything-- google does a lot of things that don't make sense). sites change hands all the time for legitimate reasons. when you buy an existing site for revenue, etc, do you expect the ratings to tank? does google have an incentive for punishing sites for doing that?

disgust, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  18. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    In Feb. of 2005 I changed the ownership of an old established site from my personal name to my company name. I didn't make any changes to the site itself. Over the next few months the adsense income dropped by about 1/3 and then gradually recovered. It did not do that in 2006 so I doubt the drop was a seasonal effect.

This proves nothing, and things may have changed since then, but I am now extremely reluctant to change whois info :)

mhdoc, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  19. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No no I agree with you to an extent. Not sure if I made a post that insinuated otherwise or not. If a site is dropped and re-registered it is considered new to google and can be sandboxed again however if it is a site being trasnferred to new hosting no change will be made in domain length.

Just remember domains that are not hosted have no age in googles eyes. they only gain age when they are being hosted.

visio, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  20. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    not just hosted, they need to be hosted and in the index.

disgust, Nov 30, 2006 IP