1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Unmanaged Linode Hosting Help - It's urgent, please

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by emailboy, Dec 8, 2012.

Alright, I am stuck in a really worst situation. First things first, I do not have any idea about unmanaged hosting. I've always used cPanel based hosting my entire life, mostly with shared hosts. I've purchased a site that is hosted with Linode. Its a wordpress site and there are many things which needs to be correctly sorted out.

For that, I need access to files. I want to download files and be able to upload/edit files. How can I do that? Linode seems to have no cPanel or anything of that sort to support me with that. They're right on their side, if they're providing unmanaged hosting.

The problem is urgent because the ads implementation is quite complex. So even if I change the adsense code, the ads sometimes shows with my code, because I am earning a few cents but most of the impressions are coming to the seller account. He's not willing to pay what he earn from adsense until the problem is solved and not support with anything else. So its important for me to complete this ASAP on my own. There are some more minor issues too which urgently needs to be solved.

What can I do? There is a company called EndPoint, according to seller, they seem to keep the backup of site. I've contacted them but its been quite some time and no response yet. Seller asks to use the nameservers of EndPoint after the domain has been transferred. So who uploaded themes to wordpress, installed wordpress and how?

What's the best way to edit/access js files under wordpress themes? This is so damn important, please help. Once this is all set and successfully completed. Only then, I'll be able to move forward. Thanks a lot.

emailboy, Dec 8, 2012 IP
  2. arsalankhan

arsalankhan Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you use an FTP client to connect to the server? After you have established an FTP session you can go to wp-contents/themes/{THEME_NAME} and search for js(most of the themes save JavaScript files in JS folder) folder.

arsalankhan, Dec 8, 2012 IP
  3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    You can purchase your own cPanel license OR Linode may be providing it for some extra cost. Once installed, you will have admin access of cPanel (called WHM) to add/manage accounts/server and cPanel (end user panel) that you are used to when you had a shared hosting account.

If they are not providing a cPanel license, then you can purchase it from cPanel.net directly. If it is not affordable to you, you will then have to look for a System Administrator that will configure everything for you like, Apache/PHP/Mysql/Ftp, security related changes etc and explain you how things works so you will find it easy to manage your website/server.

madaboutlinux, Dec 9, 2012 IP
  4. RiyazS

RiyazS Peon

Best Answers:
    Please read his question first. The server is already running a website. To install cPanel, he would need to wipe out the server completely first which he can not.

To OP:
    Your best bet would be hiring a system admin for an hour (I guess betwenen $30-65), who can backup the data for you manually and dump it into your account at another host which operates on cPanel.

RiyazS, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.. but let him decide that..

madaboutlinux, Dec 12, 2012 IP