1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Checks Out PayPal's Market Lead

Discussion in 'Google' started by ottodo, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    http://www.webpronews.com/2006a/1128.html

OMG Google products spread really fast

ottodo, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  2. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait until they go International, should get very interesting.

cormac, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  3. ottodo

ottodo Guest

Best Answers:
    I hope they do, especially in UK :)

ottodo, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Halved my ass. You need to understand what the data means. Hitwise counts hits, not transactions or actual business market share.

No one is browsing PayPal for info, PP is old. Thousands are browsing GCO for info because it's new. That's piling up the hits and eating PayPal's so called "market share".

And this Jason Lee Miller, whoever he may be, does a real poor job at that article IMO. Just posting Batelle's review as the only source backing up it's not all rosey is poor.

Crap article based on crap statistics. On a crap 50% ad space website.

T0PS3O, Nov 28, 2006 IP
    yyyk9 likes this.
  5. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I Agree, GCO just cannot take paypal's market share so easily and he says:
    That is really false, 38 times is really unbelievable.
    And GCO is not even in international market, paypal is supported by over a million site's. Not sure how many site's are supported by GCO, apart from google's own network sites :p

Imran, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Not to mention that if you integrate PayPal properly via the API Hitwise will never record any hits on the PayPal domain.

This is about as worse as it can get as far as statistics juggling goes.

T0PS3O, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  7. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    GuyFromChicago, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  8. shauner

shauner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While I agree this is a poorly written article, I think it does show a possible trend in the direction of Google Checkout taking significant market share away from PayPal this holiday shopping season. Google has a significant warchest to throw around to promote Checkout and that $10 off special they are running is sure to get people to try it out.

While it will take a long time to de-throne PayPal, Google could definitely put a dent in their business this season.

shauner, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  9. Computer(Jew)

Computer(Jew) Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is an absolutely perverted use of numbers and statistics. Meaningless waste black of pixels.

Computer(Jew), Nov 28, 2006 IP
  10. thewindmaster

thewindmaster The Man with the Plan

Best Answers:
    I agree with the BS. Google is probably not processing 1/20th of the transactions as paypal even if you consider US only.

Plus checkout does suck. I run an e-commerce site and recently began offering GCO to get the free adsense dollars promised. And I could not capture any of the customer data on my site like with paypal. I actually have to go to google to even find out what my customer ordered. The record is not stored locally. Plus, the only email address I have for my clent is the BS google checkout email. I cannot do follow up marketing, send shipment notifications or anything to the client.

Google checkout is bad for the consumer and the business because it significantly deteriorates open lines of communication.

thewindmaster, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i hope google payment system will international in a few years and then google will be the biggest player on payment sector

trichnosis, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with GCO is that you force your customers to sign up for a google account if they don't have on. PP on the otherhand, learned a long time ago, that heavy handed crap like that doesn't fly. Until GCO gets rid of the google account requirement, it will never come close to PP.

mopacfan, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  13. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is weird, iv just got this email too reading it now, and reading stuff about it in my RSS reader, iv just looked at the sales for the hosting company i work for, and .... 70% Creditcard (2checkout) 25% paypal 5% google checkout this is since they released it. My company got it after hearing that is was going to take over paypal allthough..... I havnt seen no evidence yet, looks like only 5% of and average 1,000 peaple used it in the last month to by web hosting

Jasonb, Nov 28, 2006 IP
    Imran likes this.
  14. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Sucks huh?

I was all ready to add GC until I started diving into the T&C and realized how absolutely ridiculous their policies were. Not to mention the fact the the first site I was looking for only has digital products which makes it impossible to adhere to GC policies.

I did go read the article posted in the opening post - reminded me why I stopped reading at that site months ago.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 28, 2006 IP
    Imran likes this.
  15. dilute

dilute Peon

Best Answers:
    Adsense is renowned for mysterious bannings. Checkout might be just as bad as PayPal or worse.

dilute, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  16. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    The article information aside, I prefer Google Checkout to Paypal for one big reason: no fees through the end of the year. Yes, Google is waiving everyone's fees in a bid to increase market share. Good for them, I say.

MattKNC, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  17. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Section 4, especially f & g really get me. You have to use a button to let people know that you don't accept Google Checkout for a particular product, and then no more than 5% of your products can be disallowed. :confused:

https://checkout.google.com/seller/content_policies.html has a few dingers, no selling of "Traffic devices" (Radar detectors/jammers, license plate covers, traffic signal changers, and related products).

No radar detectors? That's just unAmerican... :D

I'm happy to see them make a stand against selling body parts, however. :p

NetMidWest, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  18. yyyk9

yyyk9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, thank you T0PS3O for pointing that out.

yyyk9, Nov 11, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.