1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Meta Tags Help

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rollwithsoul15, Nov 20, 2012.

It would be wonderful if someone would be willing to give an in depth analysis on meta tags?
    I know that having the title (not really a meta tag) and description are the most important, but can someone go into more details about the lesser known essential meta tags?
    I.E. publisher, robot, author, etc.

Which ones are essential for optimal SEO? Which ones can I do without?

Thanks!

rollwithsoul15, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  2. titly555

titly555 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi
    Meta tags are a Best way for webmasters to provide search engines with information about their sites. Meta tag can help to promote your site. HTML Meta tags are officially page data tags that lie between the open and closing head tags in the HTML code of a document.
    < head>
    < title>Not a Meta Tag, but required anyway < /title>
    < meta name="description" content="Awesome Description Here">
    < meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
    < /head>

titly555, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  3. chaithu

chaithu Member

Best Answers:
    Meta tags act as bridge between website to SE's!
    They helps to identify the page info in terms of "page title","page description","Page Keywords".

chaithu, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  4. titly555

titly555 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi
    Meta tags are a Best way for webmasters to provide search engines with information about their sites. Meta tag can help to promote your site. HTML Meta tags are officially page data tags that lie between the open and closing head tags in the HTML code of a document.
    < head>
    < title>Not a Meta Tag, but required anyway < /title>
    < meta name="description" content="Awesome Description Here">
    < meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
    < /head>

titly555, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  5. deepak1

deepak1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Meta tags are a Best way for webmasters to provide search engines with information

deepak1, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  6. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi friend,

I am agree with titly555. If you follow her guideline, Your problem will be solve. Meta tag is the most important part of site. So we have to careful for it.

Thank you.

abhirampathak3, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  7. ds28

ds28 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    meta tags help in improving rank with search engines

ds28, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  8. z80039

z80039 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want to add to what titly555 wrote.
    Yes the title and the description meta tags are important but also there are other meta tags, which play a big role in SEO. One is the rel=canonical meta tag.
    This meta tag is important if you have a dynamic website which may create different links of the same website content, which may result in duplicate content in the search engine eye.

As for the description tag. You need to know that it may not play a great role in SEO ( it plays a role ), BUT it is what the user sees under your site link on search engines' results which is very important to get a good CTR.

Well the title tag is important but try not to make it bigger than 65 characters and also DON`t stuff it with keywords. However try to place your main keyword at the start of the title tag.

I hope you can benefit from these and all the best to you

P.S: you can add the meta keywords tag, but it is not considered by google anymore. However it may be considered by other search engines so why dropping it ;-)

z80039, Dec 3, 2012 IP
    rollwithsoul15 likes this.
  9. rollwithsoul15

rollwithsoul15 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks z80039, what about meta-author, robot and other less known ones?

rollwithsoul15, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  10. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied Banned

Best Answers:
    A meta tag is a special HTML tag that provides information about a Web page. Unlike normal HTML tags, meta tags do not affect how the page is displayed. Instead, they provide information such as who created the page, how often it is updated, what the page is about, and which keywords represent the page's content. Many search engines use this information when building their indices.

Elfen Lied, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  11. nevedita

nevedita Member

Best Answers:
    Meta tags just collect the over view of the website. It helps to display the information at search engines.

nevedita, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  12. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To answer this question properly information about a site has bearing. For example there are meta tags that have various functions like the DMOZ one or the No Cache one and others . I have done a study of such things and if you go here > http://on-site-seo.info/ then click through to the "old index page" you will see much info related to meta tags though some may be out of date as I am not for example at time of typing this completely sure how things stand with say the DMOZ meta tag which a person with an old domain/site would need to bear in mind. I will be updating the meta tags on that linked page there to include a refined updated version in the next week or so btw which may prove handy.

Revelations-Decoder, Dec 6, 2012 IP