1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to identify low quality directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by humtuma, Dec 2, 2012.

If you know some months ago ,some directory website removed due to low quality. How to identify low quality directory.Google removing free directory websites from index and still this process is going on, but DMOZ is also free i.e not going to remove. So help to identify low quality directory.

humtuma, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  2. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not uncommon for extremely new directories to not be indexed. However, this is not the case with the directory you noted in your post. It's properly indexed under its www version.

directory.jpg

snowbird, Dec 2, 2012 IP
    silencer likes this.
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the OP grabbed this from a poorly written SEOMoz article, which was unable to identify the difference between link farms and directories. I dispelled the "free directories not being indexed" myth, since I put my own Top 100 list to the test and every single directory was indexed.

Price doesn't dictate quality. The only way to identify the quality of a directory is by viewing its content. Quite simply if it is full of heavily keyworded site titles, and repetitive keyworded descriptions then it's low quality.

I use a simple test to weed out the riff raff. Type "flower" into the search box and take a look at the entries that popup. If you can see a mass of sites all with the same description you can tell the directory doesn't edit. If it doesn't edit then it also allows spam. If it allows spam it's low quality. Simple.

silencer, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A high quality directory is probably interesting. If you don't find it interesting, why would anyone else?
    You probably won't see 100 links for $20 in a high quality directory.

Definitely check our silencer's website. He has been studying this top for more than a decade.

dvduval, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  5. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Referred webmaster, seomoz,seoaround website.

In the directory website , what type of content you refer?

humtuma, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Flower; I like that.

It is actually pretty interesting to look at the results. I found everything from Flower Delivery, Gifts, Weddings, to Pictures of Nordic Flowers... Cool!

Mia, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  7. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information as it will allow me to shed a little light on the situation...

Search Engine Roundtable referenced Global-Web-Directory.org as "an example" of being deindexed on May 15, 2012 in this dated post. There's one problem with their example. The Global-Web-Directory.org domain name was registered just one day before Search Engine Roundtable used it as an example of a deindexed directory.

What is most concerning about that post in Search Engine Roundtable is that 83 people commented on the story and not one ever checked to see when the domain was registered. This is how disinformation becomes fallacy and the rule of thumb to many. Had somebody there checked the domain registration date, that post would not still exist as a prime example of false information.

snowbird, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  8. DesertSafariDubai

DesertSafariDubai Peon

Best Answers:
    i use directories and i also wanted to know the answer of this. thanks for your this post, i have learned a lot now from this post.

DesertSafariDubai, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  9. kinnethharring

kinnethharring Peon

Best Answers:
    High PR directories are always good directories.

kinnethharring, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  10. promowebeveron

promowebeveron Member

Best Answers:
    Submit to good PR directories, preferably with PR 2 or more. High PR directories have better approval rates.

promowebeveron, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  11. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try it on a penalised directory... the results will showcase you spam like you've never seen before. The magnitude is astounding and it's easy to understand why those directories are penalised.

silencer, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  12. emsie

emsie Peon

Best Answers:
    well said silencer :)

emsie, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  13. jamesss

jamesss Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not agree with your site because you're saying that Google removing free directories sites from index while Google gives penalty if you have a paid links connected with your site, free directory submission is nice in the view of Google.

jamesss, Dec 7, 2012 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The results are indeed quite amazing.

I'd have to disagree. There have been a lot of people here at DP and in other forums like this posting "HIGH PR" directories, some north of 6 and as high of 9. More often than not the PR is fake and the directory is devoid of content.

Mia, Dec 7, 2012 IP
  15. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    suwandichen13, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think you may be right.
    PR6 and 20k Alexa ranks are a bit suspect for most any directory.
    It's hard to be critical of Directories when you have one, but I would be willing to bet that the abundance of .edu backlinks are what got the site hosed.

You see, SMSWEB.org is not and was not ever a directory.

It was called:

Strategic Management Society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Management_Society) this is their old domain name. Now known as http://strategicmanagement.net

And its got an awful lot of high PR inbound links from a lot of places that having nothing to do with the directory:

https://ucso.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/students/careerResources/displayLinks.cfm?subCatID=51

This is a pretty classic and shady way of entering the directory market. Someone buys a defunct high PR domain that expired and rides the PR wave all the while soaking people out of money for placement in a directory destined to tank. Then they move on and do the same all over again with another domain.

Really sucks for those of us that have been doing this a very long time, and its a real shame because this is the number one thing that is devaluing directories.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Mia, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  17. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I hope you were joking when you said this.

dcristo, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  18. dropafreelink

dropafreelink Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I always just check their alexa rank, that's a good start.

dropafreelink, Dec 13, 2012 IP
  19. Devprakash

Devprakash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to me it should not be indexed/cached in google.com

Devprakash, Dec 14, 2012 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, no joke at all. The unscrupulous and deviant turds perpetuating fraud like this particular person is are one of the big reasons that directories get hammered so hard by SE's. When you flood the market with a bunch of crap directories that have absolutely little to no value aside from the PR they inherited it affects the legitimate directories negatively.

Really? I think I just clearly identified a BS directory that is absolute bunk yet has a good alexa ranking. Alexa is one of the most easily manipulated ranking tools out there.

Mia, Dec 14, 2012 IP