1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you're a NEWBIE, Learn from my BIGGEST mistake

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by DennisKnows, Nov 29, 2012.

When we all get into internet marketing, let's face it; we want the money...

We see the gurus making the big bucks and want to know their secrets...

TRUTH is and i know you're probably not going to believe this but there is no REAL secret...

Yea they have SUPER DUPER strategies but they aren't something that just fell out of the sky..

Someone through the process of failure, success, then repetition, found something that worked....

YOu now have to go out and stay consistent

Find something you want to work and put your all into it...

One of my biggest mistakes when I got into internet marketing was I didn't stay consistent..

I would jump from this to that pretty much playing Internet marketing lottery...

Doing this, you spread yourself thin and prevent yourself from being able to really grow any type of business...

Find a niche you like (preferably your passion), develop a way to get traffic and work it until it either makes or breaks you..

If it works, congratulations; you've just created your own method... Wash rinse and repeat...

If it doesn't, brush it off, learn from your mistakes and on to the next..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. LOL

If you have anything to add, please do...
    Have a great day!

DennisKnows, Nov 29, 2012 IP
    nihangshah likes this.
  2. rnuman1

rnuman1 Peon

Best Answers:
    DeniseKnows,
    That was great advice you just throw down and I find it to be very true.
    I'm a newbie and found that you do need to find a niche, focus your energy and time on building skills needed, stumble and fail, before you start to get the idea of how this internet marketing business really works.

Can anyone share advice on the proper way of adding a sig link?

rnuman1, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  3. DennisKnows

DennisKnows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep...

As for the sig, you've gotta post in here regularly.. Provide some great content and the option opens up for you to after a certain number of posts...

DennisKnows, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  4. SeaSlash

SeaSlash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great advice. I found myself doing the same thing. I would get a great idea, start working on it, get another idea and work on that and so on. I started dropping projects and concentrating on the more important ones and things are starting to look up. Once again, great advice bud.

SeaSlash, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  5. davetrebas

davetrebas Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's called BSOS - bright shiny object syndrome, chasing the next great thing. I have several shelves of IM products - each one guaranteed to make me lotsa money. Started some of them and then the next one showed up and I chased after it like a dog and a fire truck. This happens when you get on everyone's list, sign up for all the webinars, read all the blogs, buy all the videos and ebooks and generally suffer from analysis paralysis

davetrebas, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  6. gusher08

gusher08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, i do agree with you. consistency plus dedication and motivation will guarantee us more success.

gusher08, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  7. Isuru

Isuru Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, let's talk about it. If we stick with something for long, and it is not the right thing, then won't we miss anything?

Isuru, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  8. coolmadaux

coolmadaux Member

Best Answers:
    Great advice from DennisKnows.
    One thing i like to add is that you need to start with something
    that is making you fast and consistent money, even if its a little.

Because if you are not getting that satisfaction you wont have the motivation
    or funds to stick to a method for long. Unless you have someone to finance you.
    One big problem is start up cash, you need that.

coolmadaux, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  9. WickedDragon

WickedDragon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I completelly agree - you need to work hard and stick to one method!

WickedDragon, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  10. bigbblover

bigbblover Member

Best Answers:
    nice Story, its true for life as well :)

bigbblover, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  11. davetrebas

davetrebas Active Member

Best Answers:
    Insanity has been defined as continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different outcome. If you're not reaching your goals or making enough money maybe you need to get smarter or do something else. IM is a really broad subject. Somewhere within it you can optimize your talents and interests. Just keep trying.

The other side of that coin which I've seen many people do is - "It worked so well, I lost interest and went on to something else". If it's working, even a little bit, refine it.

As I recall, years ago a very wealthy man told me. "The whole secret of success is to learn to do something very very well and charge well for it. Then find someone else that is willing to do the same thing for less and pay them to do it and make it on the difference" The old wash, rinse and repeat.

davetrebas, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  12. beoding

beoding Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the advice, I as a beginner would be consistent with my niche.

beoding, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  13. angel_mraz1023

angel_mraz1023 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice Dennis. I already have a niche to work on and is still actually on the process of deciding which marketing strategy to put my focus on. I still have more trainings left at marketingforthepeople.com and once completed, Ill get back on this thread.

angel_mraz1023, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  14. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very good advice right there!

ninjamtlt1, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  15. evelinawilliams007

evelinawilliams007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Staying consistent and knowing your niche is important, though nothing really valuable in your post (no offense).

Nothing mentioned about the investments one needs to make in order to start generating Ca$h. (most people give up rapidly simply because they can't reach their target within their first year) They don't have a plan in place, they don't know what and HOW..

It takes years to get the ball rolling and some can get stuck because they don't see the whole picture (money is needed to grow a business) whereas most people don't have the money.

There are two separate kinds of webmasters - the ones trying to make money and the ones looking long term (doing business).

Cheers

evelinawilliams007, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  16. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have started internet marketing more seriously since september, and I can tell you it's not easy! But what is easy when you're just starting? Learning to play the guitar is not easy as a beginner. And if you become good at playing guitar within a year it means you've spent time practising regularly, that's the only secret, being slow and steady like the turtle in that famous story.

Also, of course it doesn't hurt to choose a niche that you enjoy and are willing to learn as you go. Personally I have also one more choice it is the language, because I speak french fluently, way better than english anyway. So I've chosen 2 niches in french, one is weight loss, very competitive but less than in english of course and the second one is traffic generation / earning money. Both are something I'm into, the weight loss is more recent of course otherwise I wouldn't have to do it :)

In english I've started a general site about health, got the whole site up and running, bought dozens of crap articles, and nothing happened.. Of course.. I'm not interested in health with all the category I've put on my site.. So no traffic, no sales, etc.. But it is still here with the mailing list form and all.. I know I HAVE to get it off the ground as it can become profitable. But really I can feel I'm interested in it only for the potential for money, not to help others, so that's going to be hard to make it work. So in english I've decided to act mainly as a VENDOR in the traffic and conversion niche. I am setting up a paid membership system based upon a free membership site I have already.

So that's my chosen niche and I feel I should not try to go into anything else right now, I need time to grow them first.

After in the future I have something else that I could get into it is about harmonica. It is very niche. I think it is too much a niche, that's why I don't get into it, but it is a big passion, at least it was for years, so I can play the harmonica, many songs, I made lots of videos, etc. That's something I keep in mind for later, first I really need to get the other things going as there is a bigger market.

JamesColin, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  17. MinimalBlog

MinimalBlog Member

Best Answers:
    That's awesome, and it's right. Lets apply it to another area, for example - learning an instrument. There's absolutely no special eBook, or product that will make you a professional guitar player overnight, it's just not possible (yet), learning an instrument requires muscle memory and practice.

Making money online is all about experimentation and failure. Definitely failure. Focus on one thing, get it going, once it's going and you get some consistent income, then capitalize on it. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for sharing

MinimalBlog, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  18. coolmadaux

coolmadaux Member

Best Answers:
    Solid advice, at first i thought that it eats into my profit but then i realized that it keeps me free
    to add other new sources of income.

coolmadaux, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  19. rallenk

rallenk Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice. Two very important things:
    1. Focus
    2. Always take action. Failure isn't failure if you try again with a different spin. Learn from it.

rallenk, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  20. jamescanz

jamescanz Peon

Best Answers:
    Great advice. I wish someone had told me this many months ago

jamescanz, Dec 3, 2012 IP