1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain already in use - tips for alternative names?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Bekijker, Nov 18, 2012.

Hello,

What can we do if a domainname is already in use? How to find good alternatives?

Please add your tips. I've collected some already:

• Choose a brand name
    • Make use of domain suggestion tools
    • Add a hypen between words
    • Add XL behind the name

Bekijker, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  2. dhamaniasad

dhamaniasad Member

Best Answers:
    Just a few tips for you :
    1. Never add hyphens between words in a domain name, it looks extremely unprofessional and causes a loss of traffic
    2. You have already chosen a brand name, thats why you searched for a domain name for it, so your point makes no sense there.
    3. personally, I would never use domain suggestion tools, because they only suggest domains based on keywords, and the names are not catchy and easy to remember, which also causes a loss or traffic and recurring traffic.
    4. Wow, brilliant idea. how about making googlexl.com? Or googlexxl if xl isnt available?

dhamaniasad, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  3. Bekijker

Bekijker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tips, dhamaniasad. I completly agree, actually. XL is something that someone can add behind their domain, but are there some other creative ideas?
    We as webmasters can also add a particular word after the domainname (can be XL, but also something else).

I don't know, something like "thelargest[domain goes here].com" of "thebest" or "numberone" or synonyms, another domain extension, or just be creative and brainstorm. Domainsbot.com is a good tool. Or we can use a dictionary also. Or we can use a .co www combell.com/en/domain-names/co-domain-name

Anyone more tips? Please add them.

Bekijker, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  4. dhamaniasad

dhamaniasad Member

Best Answers:
    The best tip I can give in such a situation is either buy the domain from its current owner or look for another name. Go for quality, dont be so obsessed with a name. Or else, just use some other extension until you have the funds to buy a .com

dhamaniasad, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes: come up with another brand name, due to the other one you want being taken. If it's a legitimate website/business you're starting up, then you want to avoid domain and brand confusion.

Yes, it's hard to come up with a unique business (brand) name, but worth the effort. It's something to uniquely identify you in your market. To help avoid any confusion when customers refer someone to you. (Especially via word-of-mouth, someone might need to manually look for you - are they going to know if it's thebesthotdogs.com or thebesthotdogsxl.com? As an example.) There are so many reasons to have your own unique brand and I feel lazy to mention any more. :p (But, I figure you're a smart individual and can work them out for yourself.)

Good luck, mate.

ryan_uk, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  6. dhamaniasad

dhamaniasad Member

Best Answers:
    So you see op, everyone has the same opinion.
    your original tips are pretty hilarious.

dhamaniasad, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  7. abhiquick

abhiquick Active Member

Best Answers:
    Adding xl, x look somewhat odd? Isn't it?

abhiquick, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  8. dhamaniasad

dhamaniasad Member

Best Answers:
    X doesn't look odd, but it is xl that looks odd. It sounds like a vintage name, like maybe Macintosh XL, and its a really really bad idea for a domain name.

dhamaniasad, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  9. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    • Choose a brand name
    • Make use of domain suggestion tools
    • Add a hypen between words
    • Add XL behind the name
    These are mostly bad ideas. I'm not sure what you mean by "Choose a brand name". But domain suggestion tools will almost always yield junk. Hyphenated domains almost always appear 3rd-rate to an American audience. And adding "XL" or some extra term will also damage the value of your brand.

What you should do is simple: Put aside some money to invest in a domain name that makes a good brand. Otherwise, you're just making it harder for your website to succeed and appear credible with customers / visitors. I personally own over 10,000 domains; so it's possible that I have something that might work for you. If I don't, I can at least tell you which options to avoid.

ImageAuthors, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  10. linksolution

linksolution Member

Best Answers:
    It is creative term, no one tells exactly, it depends on you what kind of domain names you like..

However, if you avoid, hyphen between words and too long domain names.

If your domain name is related to services then you can use 24, 247, 24x7 at the end of your domain name.

there are some prefix like:

a1
    first
    1st
    best
    leading
    unique

linksolution, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  11. luckypunjab

luckypunjab Member

Best Answers:
    what about adding a single i or e at start or adding s at the end of name i.e. imybarnd.com, emybrand.com or mybrands.com

Regards

luckypunjab, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  12. Hydha

Hydha Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you to use domain name suggestion tools. Nametumblr is good one. I will be adding some one or max two alphabets after the real name.

Hydha, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  13. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    Choose a brand name
    Make use of domain suggestion tools
    Add a hypen between words - definitely not
    Add XL behind the name - definitely not

your best choice is to find 2 somewhat related available keywords and make it the brand. no hyphens or junk words.

atxsurf, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  14. instant-automation

instant-automation Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    instant-automation, Nov 30, 2012 IP