1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any one moved to a Mac recently?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Andy Lippis, Nov 24, 2012.

Iv moved away from windows to Ubuntu but im soon looking at getting a new computer and iv been thinking about getting a Mac book pro or a iMac. Iv never had a mac before, only played around for a few minutes.
    I want it for photo, movie and sound editing, which i heard its good for but also, webdesign/coding, and managing websites and servers.

Do you think its worth the money? or just buy a really good desktop and run windows 7 or ubuntu?

Please let me know your opinion but also want to here from people that have made the switch recently..

Andy Lippis, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    The last Mac I owned was an SE :D
    Buy a decent desktop, run Windows 7 + VirtualBox, and run OSX whenever you need to. You'll get over any desire to own a Mac pretty quickly.
    ---
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Kerosene, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  3. Andy Lippis

Andy Lippis Member

Best Answers:
    Nice Set up, I was thinking about spending between $2000AUD to $3000AUD on a custom PC But Than i thought about a mac and how it compares today Rather than a few years ago.

4. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Unless you desperately need to use an application that can't run on anything else, it doesn't matter if you're running Windows, OSX, Linux, or anything else.
    And even then, with a decent system you can run just about any OS/application using virtualization.
    Having a box that says Mac on it won't make you a better designer, coder, or anything else.
    ---
    Nobody cares (*especially your clients) what equipment you use, whatever comes out the pipe at the other end is all that matters.

If you want a Mac, just buy one :D

Kerosene, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  5. mmm555

mmm555 Member

Best Answers:
    I've used Ubuntu before. I likely won't go back. But I might. I will likely never switch to using Macs. Not me personally, anyway.

mmm555, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  6. casdir

casdir Guest

Best Answers:
    No I haven't, but I have eaten a Big Mac lately if that counts :)

casdir, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  7. Andy Lippis

Andy Lippis Member

Best Answers:
    lol yeah it does.

has anyone thats owned one had any problem with the software and hardware?