1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[SOFTLAYER] is there any method to get support from them?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by trichnosis, Nov 20, 2012.

Hi;

I'm a Softlayer customer over 2 years . My server is crashed because of the memory problems.

It does not boots because of memory crash . I can not access to my server with ssh , whm ("IPMI console" which is SL tool like ssh)

I've created more than one tickets that my server is not booting correctly. They say me that's my problem and i need to configure my server but how can i configure a server that i can not access?

They reject providing support . Is there any method that i can not get support and my files from them (They do not give my web site database and files)

I'm confused what to do?

any help is welcome

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    trichnosis, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  2. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you get access to the box through IPMI console, or perhaps a KVM over IP? If you can, try running a memtest on it. Is this a dedicated server, or colocation? If it's dedicated server, and you're having RAM/hardware issues, then they would be required to support the issue and swap out the bad RAM modules/hardware.

ironcladservers, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi;

it's dedicated server . I can not access the server. no ssh , no IPMI console . They are suggesting me to manage a server that i can not access . That's the main issue. I can not access the server and they want me to fix the ram problem

4. ironcladservers

Best Answers:
    That doesn't make any sense. Request a temporary KVM over IP setup for the server so that you can troubleshoot "out of band". Then test the RAM and collect the results for proof to provide to SoftLayer. If it's a hardware issue, they are required to fix it, nothing you can personally do about it since its a physical RAM module issue.

ironcladservers, Nov 20, 2012 IP
  5. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i totaly agree with this. it does not make any sense. my server is currently down (it has been nearly 1 days down time) because of hardware problem . they are still trying to blame me

6. AdamUK89

AdamUK89 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Ask them if they can reboot it, to see if it will boot back up. if not and the issue persists, ask them to replace the memory. Or ask them for your money back because that isn't acceptable.

Regards,
    Adam

AdamUK89, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  7. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you told them that this is hardware problem and they MUST honor their own written hardware replacement guarantee?

Source: http://www.softlayer.com/dedicated-servers/hardware-upgrades

Anyway, how do you know it is memory problem? I thought it was only viewable during kernel loading session during booting with either IPMI / out-of-band access.

VinCme, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  8. blockdos

blockdos Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to say I always been able to at least figure out whats up through ipmi/kvm. If nothing happens, no boot message or anything board or chip is fried. Otherwise you can get some useful info

blockdos, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  9. ironcladservers

Best Answers:
    @trichnosis, please advise how everything works out in the end :)

ironcladservers, Nov 28, 2012 IP