1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have several questions about Chinese Alipay,Tenpay and Russian Yandex.Money

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Davidhend1, Oct 13, 2012.

Hi,

I'm studying about the payment processors in Russia and China (countries where Paypal have a weak presence), focusing on Alipay, Tenpay, and Yandex.Money.
    However, it has been difficult because not much material is available in English.
    So, I'd like to see if there are some Chinese or Russian people in here who are knowledgeable in this field who could give me some help.

The questions are focused on growth strategy, e.g. how did Alipay grew to become the largest payment processor in China? What strategy did it use?

I realize this might be a lot of work, so if some people are willing to take some time to explain and do a bit of extra research to answer my questions, I'd be willing to compensate for your time.

I've posted these questions as a job in this thread:
    Alipay,Tenpay:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2574132

Yandex.Money:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2574170

Apart from the job, if people just want to share their ideas and start a discussion on how the local payment processor can beat giants like Paypal and grow to become the no.1 gateway in a specific country, feel free to share your ideas here. :)

Thank you!

Davidhend1, Oct 13, 2012 IP
  2. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a bit idea about alipay but not Yandex.Money
    The way alipay get success in China market is similar as paypal because more than 90% of the shopping/service platform in China are using alipay.

lifeplayer, Oct 15, 2012 IP
  3. Davidhend1

Davidhend1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So, the method to gain lots of users is similar to Paypal... which is how exactly? Thanks.

Davidhend1, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  4. cfcoo

cfcoo Peon

Best Answers:
    alipay Rely on taobao.com

cfcoo, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  5. sousen

sousen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alipay is reliable compare all above said method

sousen, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  6. Japemonster

Japemonster Member

Best Answers:
    I know a lot about Yandex.Money. But in Russia and other countries from USSR people use Webmoney more. It's bigger and more popular.

Japemonster, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  7. cashx

cashx Peon

Best Answers:
    China uses their own payment companies for everything. For example the govt has a total monopoly on foreign credit card networks called union pay (http://en.unionpay.com/) so when you get a chinese card it's a multi-card meaning it will work as an American Express, Visa, MC, Discover ect all with one card. So there's never a problem of using your card overseas it will always work regardless if they accept MC or just Visa.

Alipay is basically a clone of paypal. It got popular because the biggest commerce site on earth alibaba.com uses it, same with all the other giant Chinese auction/sales/wholesale and game sites. It's special feature is an escrow system, which made it popular because in China there's zero consumer protection laws. That's why people use it instead of Unionpay because you can do chargebacks if you get scammed online by junk goods. You can do chargebacks with Unionpay too but due to state corruption good luck getting your money back from a state backed sales website or service.

Alipay however has now hiked fees so high that in order to sell in their mega online shopping malls like Taobao you have to pay $9,400 instead of the usual $900 fee. So small businesses have started switching to Tenpay and others. Alipay also did some shady restructuring where the CEO of Alibaba took it over screwing the rest of the partners and no foreign company trusts it anymore it's far too deep into state corruption. I expect to see a huge rise in Bitcoin use in China because now every payment network has been centralized, is corrupt, charges high fees and all foreign companies like Paypal aren't allowed in to the market they have to operate by restrictive foreign rules, whereas Alipay has protected domestic rules.

cashx, Mar 12, 2013 IP