1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback DP Post Move To 'Cheap' Thread Inappropriate & Insulting

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by d-c-a, Nov 16, 2012.

This is simply mean and insulting.

I posted a thread recruiting writers for article writing in this section.

There are many posts in this section recruiting writers, I looked carefully to make sure it was the correct place for what I was posting.

But I just received an infraction and the post was moved to:
    Is this someone's mean-spirited joke?

I'm not buying or selling cheap stuff. I am seeking writers for content creation. If DP allows people to seek writers in the content creation forum, that is where my post should be. Like writers are going to look in the 'cheap stuff' section for writing jobs?

Is this a judgement on the offer I made to writers? Let me tell you, there are lots of cheaper offers in there.

Writers have much better benefits with me, both money-wise and with intangibles (bylines, bios, links to their sites, Google Authorship on an approved Google News & Bing News site) than they would with all those dollar or two per article jobs listed in that section. What I am offering is substantially better. It should not have been moved to the 'cheap' section.

This is totally inappropriate and insulting.

The post is here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2593434

I would like to request that it be returned to the content creation section and the infraction removed.

d-c-a, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How much are you paying article authors?

digitalpoint, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  3. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are not offering to pay the authors, you are offering a potential share of adsense revenue. Since there is no real offer, one can only assume the value is less than $5. According to the Cheap Stuff forum description, any products/services less than that only go in that forum. Thats what I got out of it anyway.

r3dt@rget, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  4. d-c-a

d-c-a Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn,

Thank you for considering this.

Our writers receive a 50% to 60% adshare using AdSense. I hesitate to get into AdSense details publicly for obvious reasons - I'll send you a PM. But our better writers do pretty well considering the work that is involved.

I also assist our writers in getting an AdSense account if they don't already have one (and if they don't have their own site, they can get it using ours), and I provide ongoing training in news journalism, seo, story research, dealing with press agents, adding value to stories. headline writing, and more.

Getting the post moved back into the content creation section won't make or break me, it's not that critical of a thing. But I have put a lot of value on my writers, and have worked hard to give them an outstanding package of benefits. Something they can use to really excel with, not just a temporary couple of bucks. Being put in the 'cheap' section and given an infraction just really erked me and felt offensive,

Chris

d-c-a, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  5. d-c-a

d-c-a Member

Best Answers:
    Hi R3dt@rget,

Sometimes articles do earn less than $5, sometimes they earn a whole lot more (usually if they earn more than $5, they do many times that).

But I am offering writers a partnership in the earnings, that doesn't necessarily make it cheap.

And if under $5 is supposed to go into the cheap section - there's a tremendous amount amount of posts in the content creation section that should be move there - pretty much most of them,

d-c-a, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  6. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! There are too many IFs in this. Writers aren't being paid with a promise.

Karen May Jones, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  7. d-c-a

d-c-a Member

Best Answers:
    I'm really stunned by y'alls reaction here.

People write articles and monetize them with adsense all the time.

I've done years of legwork to get the site positioned so that articles hit the search engines fast and with high profiles. Now writers can leverage all the work I have put into this, write articles, and get half the profit!

Is there a risk that some articles won't make much? Sure. And others will make a lot. And as writers become more experienced and learn the ropes, they earn more and more. (and the more research and original content they write, the better they do as well).

It's not like I'm promising some future payment, if a writer has an adsense account, they start getting the 50% adshare from the start.

It may take a writer with some entrepreneurial spirit, but I'm looking for writers that want to do more than sell articles for a buck or two and have them published under someone else's name. I want writers that are invested in doing some great reporting and reaping the rewards of their hard work.

I really feel this is a great opportunity for writers, but I get the impression you think I am cheating them or doing something 'cheap'. It's actually that I am trying to help writers be as successful as possible, but I don't know how to convince you of that. I've designed it so that writers and publishers succeed together.

d-c-a, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  8. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe this should have been posted in Partnerships. :)

browntwn, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  9. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're taking it very personally, really. Stand back for a moment and be objective: Your post doesn't state a rate. The mods aren't mind readers. No one can predict your rate, which could be zero or it could even be hundreds. It was placed in the correct section based upon what you wrote. If you don't like where it is, bump the post so that you can edit it again. State clearly a rate that you are (legitimately) going to pay your writers. A rate of more than $5 per article, then it would qualify for the content creation section.

ryan_uk, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think you are thinking of "Cheap" in the wrong context. In the case of the forum category, cheap means inexpensive, not junky. If it meant junky, there would be a whole lot more in there (like 99% of the eBooks section). :)

digitalpoint, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  11. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Look at it like this, if you hired 200 hundred writers from this gig, and a hundred and twenty five of them didn't make over a quarter, they could come back here and assault your Itrader (which may not be revelant in weeks/months to come, anyhow) with a BUNCH of negative feedback, basically rendering your account on DP as useless - and you as a promise breaker....... what would you do then? Abandon your DP account and Itrader score, then create a new Digital Point account? ----

Karen May Jones, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The other obvious point is that regardless of how much a writer earns from a third party (Google's Adsense program) the thread starter isn't going to pay them a dime.

sarahk, Nov 17, 2012 IP
    DaveInFL and ryan_uk like this.
  13. DaveInFL

DaveInFL Peon

Best Answers:
    "Our writers can write between 3 to 21 articles a week and earn a 50% adsense adshare"

That is the problem along with "package of benefits". The pay was not established, if your ad/post was allowed in content creation it would just devalue that section because others would think they could just barter.

To be frank, I think you should just average your adsense payouts and use that as a payment figure and pay up front. I say that because instead of getting the job finished and looking for new work the writers will have to depend on the performance of your blogs and check periodically to ensure their ads are even running.
    This presents what I would call a hassle.

In this economy people would rather get paid less immediately than get a little more with the hassles of waiting to get paid, hoping the ad performance is good, hope you didn't get hurt, hope you didn't go to jail on and on with more variables.

DaveInFL, Nov 17, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  14. d-c-a

d-c-a Member

Best Answers:
    Not really a concern, I have a great relationship with my writers, even the ones that have moved on to other things stay in touch -

d-c-a, Nov 17, 2012 IP
  15. d-c-a

d-c-a Member

Best Answers:
    And Shawn, I understand what you are saying about 'cheap'. But I would have liked the post to be a in a place where writers, content creators, would see it. That's who the post was written to, and it would seem appropriate.

d-c-a, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Understandable, but you could also make the same argument that any thread someone created should be stickied in every forum for maximum exposure. The reality is that we have certain rules and guidelines in place to help this place run smoother and we have a much higher interest in the site running smoothly than getting an individual thread maximum exposure as a favor to the thread creator.

If you *really* want exposure, you may want to consider the advertising system since you can run a banner ad in ONLY the forum section that is most relevant and only show it to people in certain countries if you wish. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/advertising.php

But changing our rules so that your thread gets a little extra exposure isn't something we are willing to do, sorry...

digitalpoint, Nov 18, 2012 IP