1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Actions Taken When Clients Don't Pay

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ViolentAJ, Nov 12, 2012.

What do you do when your clients don't pay you and ignore your PMs requesting payment? I understand if a client has to pay later, but they should at least keep us informed or give an explanation. I want to give these clients a negative rating, but I don't want them to retaliate (it has happened before). They have to be reprimanded somehow though.

ViolentAJ, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  2. potentialeight

potentialeight Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something that everyone has to figure out for themselves, but here's how I approach it as a writer. Until I have established myself that someone is reliable when it comes to payment, I don't do more than $50-75 worth of work for them. With new clients and orders of $50 or more, I generally require that they pay me half upfront. If I have a client that I have acquired through forums, then I will not hesitate to leave them bad feedback. If I'm doing my job well, then they will not be able to hurt my overall reputation with a single false report.

potentialeight, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  3. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good tactics, potentialeight. I generally have new clients pay half upfront for large assignments or pay for assignments piecemeal. These were forum posting assignments though; smaller sums of money, but it still took up a lot of my time. I think that I'll just go ahead and deal with the bad ratings if they retaliate. It has made things harder, but it seems like things are drying out anyway.

ViolentAJ, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  4. MobileInternet

MobileInternet Active Member

Best Answers:
    With web development, i always ask for 50% payment upfront and then once the site is completed i ask for the remaining 50%. I always keep the domain name and hosting account in my name until i have received all the money... and only then will i transfer this over.

Always make sure you have some control over the project.

MobileInternet, Nov 13, 2012 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  5. zeesales

zeesales Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Just look at the feedback or reviews received to the buyer. Search the buyer's identity on google. you'll find much more information than you require. Don't go for any buyer who has no feedback or reviews, especially if the buyer is new on the forum. It might be the case that the buyer created a new account solely for the purpose of cheating the freelancer. So you have to be capacious even before applying for the jobs.

zeesales, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  6. Nawshale

Nawshale Active Member

Best Answers:
    Clients not paying for the service are really a pain in the neck after an excellent output. There's a lot of way to deal with this kind of issue, one is to ask for atleast 30%-50% upfront, that is depends on the scope of the work. You may also do what I am practicing with my other clients, sometimes I write an article and when I submitted the article to them, I put a water mark in my document in pdf file. Once I got the payment, I resend the article in clear document.

Cheers!

Nawshale, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  7. Lovelysms94.blogspot.com

Lovelysms94.blogspot.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HI friend,
    I am a Paid links sell, and if any client not pay me after links alive then i just send a massage (if he not pay me then i will remove his link on my site and give him negative Rating and also start Negative SEO on his site, when i start this then his site will down in few days.)
    Then client must reply and send payment,

My this trick always always help me in my work....

8. joshua12346

joshua12346 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is important that you should make sure that someone or client is reliable when it comes to payment. If you don't have any idea if your client will pay, you need not to do more than $50-75 worth of work for them. Best thing to do is to pay you half upfront.

joshua12346, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  9. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would leave them negative feedback and gather your proof (conversations, etc.). If they in return leave you negative feedback, what proof do they possibly have? Any competent person reading your reviews will realize the negative review was not valid.

r3dt@rget, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  10. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right. I might have to do that. They just left me a negative review, but their claims are false.

ViolentAJ, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  11. Matthew Anton

Matthew Anton Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is why you should always get payment upfront for your services. But if you choose to do the work, then get payment, or someone does a Credit Card chargeback (wow that is just plain stealing!) then it's probably best to chalk it up as a loss.

Matthew Anton, Nov 17, 2012 IP