1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can i improve my writing speed?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by TopNotchwrites, Nov 3, 2012.

I have been into freelancing for more than 3 years now, but still i can only manage to write 10 articles a day. Though my clients pay me well, but i want to improve my writing speed..Any suggestions/tips??

TopNotchwrites, Nov 3, 2012 IP
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Practice. Practice. Practice.

Challenge yourself. Use apps and online sites / games that challenge and encourage you to improve your typing speed.

TextServices, Nov 3, 2012 IP
  3. monsoondreams

monsoondreams Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming you're writing 500-word articles, I don't think 10 articles a day is all that bad. Anything more than that and I would think that you're not really paying close attention to the quality of your writing--and I'm not only talking about grammar and style here, but also in terms of depth, research, and insight.

When I worked for a magazine, it took me 3 days to complete a 2000-3000 word article: one day for research, a half-day to process that research, and 1 1/2 days to write the piece.

I understand that writing for internet marketing websites doesn't require the same rigor as for magazines, but if you want to create good stuff for your clients, you have to take your time.

monsoondreams, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  4. stevenfabian

stevenfabian Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more. Still, if you need more money for various reasons, and if you DO provide high-quality articles, then why not ask your regular customers to pay you a little higher? If they're satisfied with your work, I think they'd be more than happy to give you a little bonus.

Just an idea,
    Steve

stevenfabian, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I realize that this is a forum post and not a polished/finished article but I suggest you focus more on your grammar and punctuation than how fast you can churn out articles. Your post is far from the worst thing posted in this forum. However, it does suggest that you have bigger things to work on than your speed.

10 articles a day is actually on the high side...assuming they are well-researched and unique. Perhaps, instead of trying to increase your output, you should work on upping your quality and your price.

YMC, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  6. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with YMC... And I note that increasing your writing speed would be to also work on your typing. Find out ways to make your hands more comfortable typing and also take some typing test to make sure that your words are accurate and your grammar is good as well. I write can write 20 articles in a day ( 600 words each) but I can't do that 5 days a week because my hands get tired and my son needs my attention. 10 articles a day is great! Keep up the great work.

sweetcrabhoney18, Nov 6, 2012 IP
  7. MarkWMS

MarkWMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also suggest that you should practice more. Your typing speed would increase with that eventually.

Another suggestion is that if your articles relate to the same topics in some way, then you can have your research pre-saved, so that you can spend more time on writing your article. If they are on varied topics, then you should work on improving your reading and typing speed.

But even I think that 10 articles a day is a very good number. Its good that you want to improve that. Good Luck!

MarkWMS, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  8. TravisO

TravisO Peon

Best Answers:
    set a limit... let's say for example your ideal word count is 500.. keep in mind that you only have an hour to finish 1 article... then gradually decrease your time allowance...

TravisO, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  9. potentialeight

potentialeight Peon

Best Answers:
    Outside of the obvious suggestions like typing exercises, I would suggest that you look outside of the actual typing process to look for ways to optimize your output. For example, turning off your cell phone and/or messengers while you work could have just as big of an impact on your productivity as improving your typing speed.

potentialeight, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  10. warriorworking

warriorworking Member

Best Answers:
    You want to research and then plan out on paper what you want to write. Create a structure and know what you will say. Then the writing comes much easier with less pauses.

warriorworking, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  11. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Research is the hardest part for me and it takes up most of my time. When I write game reviews or about things that I know well, I can get at least 15 well-written 300-word articles done a day (I try to give myself more time though). If I have to do research, I can probably only get 5 done a day. At the low rates that people are looking for now, it isn't even worth my time.

ViolentAJ, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  12. TravisO

TravisO Peon

Best Answers:
    well, gadgets and games review are the hardest things to write (for me)... I had to go through details and specs, compare information from different sources, and the like.... i think i can only produce 5 300-word tech related articles per day...

TravisO, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  13. dnesiutre

dnesiutre Peon

Best Answers:
    Improving the speed of writing is rich with experience. So the more often you write and use your language skills and qualities you will feel from day to day, how your mind faster and faster rides. It remains only to "hunting". Rich vocabulary of synonyms, leading to success in writing. A, vocabulary is filled with reading fiction.

dnesiutre, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  14. Julzwriter

Julzwriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tell me how you got to 10 articles a day! I would like to get there too :)

Julzwriter, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  15. dnesiutre

dnesiutre Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on how many words the article is the number to talk about articles 200 words calmly write 10, but if an article is about 1000 words :)

dnesiutre, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  16. Julzwriter

Julzwriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you write 10 articles a day which average 400-600 words each,
    chances are that you will get burnt out within no time.
    Work smarter not harder! Why don't you subcontract the work to other writers,
    that way you will get more articles done and make more money!

Julzwriter, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  17. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I would be the same writing about tech. I have no natural interest in mobile technology for instance, and I still use and prefer old computers and software. Writing about Flash games or games that I play often is an easy task; writing about some of the new games and gadgets would require a lot of research on my part, to the point that it probably wouldn't be worth my time, especially with the lower payments these days.

ViolentAJ, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  18. timbonitus

timbonitus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Get used to formatting your articles. For example, introduction, body, conclusion.

timbonitus, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  19. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure you are writing about things you like or care about, then you'll be able to go faster. It helps if you 'do a sketch' of your writing first by listing the key thing you want said in each paragraph, then draft the first sentence of the paragraphs before you fill in the rest of the article. The path of your write up will then be more focused, and things will go quicker.

melprise, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  20. aamir.alvi3

aamir.alvi3 Member

Best Answers:
    10 articles per day is already a good figure. isn't it?

aamir.alvi3, Nov 20, 2012 IP