1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Enough about Alexa Rankings... Inside on WHY!

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by V_RocKs, Sep 18, 2007.

An Alexa Ranking is NOT the means to making money, it is just a measure of your websites traffic. In no way will having an Alexa Ranking of 10,000 make you money unless you intend to fraudulently sell the website to someone who is taking Alexa's word that the website does have a lot of traffic.

Installing the toolbar and reloading your website will indeed add to your ranking in a small amount. But doing so is pointless! You will be focusing your energy and time doing NOTHING to help your business grow.

Your Alexa ranking will GROW when you increase the hits to your website. How do you do this? SEO, link trading, etc...

Reloading your page to increase your rating is about as pointless as reloading it so you can feel good about an extra 1000 fake visitors a month that bought/clicked on nothing.

Discussing it just makes you look like a kid. A twit. Someone who surfs but doesn't webmaster for crap.

V_RocKs, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  2. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol, your'e discussing it mate! Now what did you say people who discuss it are again? :D

qazu, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  3. argothiusz

argothiusz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, backfired??..xD

I smell some jealousy because someone Alexa Rank is in the millions.
    Anyway, I don't want to be a kid and discuss it.:p

argothiusz, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  4. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I had a good laugh thanks for that !!

Having a high Alexa Ranking does give people some idea of your websites reach and popularity and can make you money,

what do you think people look at when buying ad's on sites ?

what do you think the leading Ad' networks include in stats and figures related to websites ?

a lot of people and businesses will and still use Alexa when valuating a sites worth ....

So yes a High Alexa rank can have some bearing in making money online.

thsadmin, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  5. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Is anyone using the Alexa tool bar anymore?

I had to remove mine because Norton saw it as spyware...

So if no ones using it where are they getting their stats from?

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  6. syed123

syed123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    syed123, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  7. cookiemon007

cookiemon007 Banned

Best Answers:
    But some online advertisers are looking at Alexa ranking... only webmasters and SEO do not focus more on Alexa ranking. They should focus more on SERPs ranking... As they say you can manipulate alexa ranking. ;)

cookiemon007, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  8. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have more traffic than I could ever dream of. With over 3000 domains it isn't hard to figure that out. I didn't get my traffic and the money that goes with it by reloading my website with the Alexa toolbar installed. I did it by working on getting traffic.

V_RocKs, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  9. Geekim

Geekim Active Member

Best Answers:

Well, it's being integrated into FireFox and there ARE some people who still use it on IE and other browsers - indeed it's not a proper mesurment tool, but high ranking with alexa will still count on Blog Related sponsors (PayPerPost,TLA and others...)

Geekim, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  10. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    the problem is, these days every KID thinks that he can install alexa toolbar and improve alexa ranks, but it is not so! yes you can be anywhere arround 250k alexa rank, but getting into 100k is pretty much impossible if you don't have real visitors!

this link may help you clear your views!
    http://www.yfs1.com/2006/manipulating-alexa-isnt-what-it-used-to-be.html
    :)

uttoransen, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  11. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the purpose of many ( most ) toolbars is to communicate between the surfer's browser and the toolbar-server. hence that in mind every professional knows that sending back URLs visited is NO spyware activity but the INTENT of such toolbars.
    that is valid for all toolbars that may save a history of your visited URLs or most frequent search terms, etc.

I use alexa toolbar ( firefox version ) and offer a site-version of alexa toolbar for download and many others use alexa toolbar as well. if you know the use and benefits as well as limits - then you make your choice and decision.

I use alexa ranking to determine whether or not a site is worth to spend some time for free reviews or adsense optimization tips, etc NO ranking = no generic traffic = no time to be wasted.

like with (all) stats - alexa also knows how many surfers approximately are
    - using alexa toolbar
    - are totally out on this www world surfing the web
    the % then is used to compute approximate data displayed in their stats and rankings.
    the same principle is used for polls about popularity of politicians, products etc. a few thousands or ten thousands are used as a data fact bases used to compute data approximately valid for millions or hundreds of millions of actual users/ppl.

hans, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  12. Cryspatus

Cryspatus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Alexa rank is good for other reasons than making money that most people overlook. When I come to a new blog that has a really good Alexa rank I see it as more credible, especially if that blog is talking about making money online, SEO, traffic tips, etc. Maybe its wrong of me to do that - but its just a natural reaction. Popularity builds on itself. There are a lot of people who go to a certain blog because its popular and they want to know what that blogger did to come so far. If someone could fake a good Alexa rank they would be able to get traffic from those readers. They would also appear more credible on subjects such as building traffic, therefore get more readers.

Cryspatus, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  13. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    well, you are actually correct!
    blogs with good alexa ranks get's more comments, forums with good alexa ranks get more members!! directories with good alexa ranks, get featured links rather than regulars!! good alexa ranks helps, it dosenot matter you get the good ranks by manipulating or not!

people usually give importance to alexa ranks, but some people who have poor alexa ranks, get frustrated easily and say that alexa ranks are easily manipulated and start stupid threads and posts! very sad!

uttoransen, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  14. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong, wrong and wrong...

It isn't the Alexa ranking that is getting comments, rankings and other stuff. It is the TRAFFIC that is getting that for the blogs and directories. Alexa ranking is just a gauge of traffic.

I am simply stating that people should target getting more traffic and not specifically an Alexa ranking which will come along with the traffic once they get it.

V_RocKs, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  15. DaveRh

DaveRh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said, OP. I agree with you completely.

DaveRh, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  16. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    OK ok! i know traffic is important, but it can't be proved. You can have traffic but you can't show the proofs, but a good alexa rank will prove to most that you have nice traffic!

remember: if you have good alexa ranks, that dosenot means that you have more traffic, but poor alexa ranks, sure proves that you don't have any webmaster traffic!!

when someone sees a forum with 5k alexa rank, or a social bookmarking site or a blog with 5k alexa rank, they sure try to use it! and if the site has a PR5+ then am sure that people will think it's a huge site!

there are a lot of sites pr5+ but they don't have good traffic, so there alexa ranks are poor, outside 100k! and those sites don't get much members. but if those sites improves there alexa rank then they will sure get a lot more exposure.

getting a pr4+ site is easy, but a alexa rank of 5k or less is very hard to get, and if a site has that rank, then it will sure get members, comments etc!

uttoransen, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  17. djackz666

djackz666 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i can make your alexa rank increase :)

djackz666, Nov 4, 2012 IP
  18. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    faking your own alexa rank is like shooting yourself in your own feet!
    ppl earn from organic human traffic and never from pretended fake traffic.

google adsense pays per traffic you have 19 times more your revenue maybe around 10 times higher
    if you have an online store and ten times more traffic = you are likely to make 10 times more $
    faking alexa is just like faking values at wallstreet - sooner or later the soap bubble bursts

faking others alexa rank is of no use as a site owner knows his precise real traffic

the honest way in life still is the only lasting way to success

hans, Nov 4, 2012 IP