1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How You Got Into Webmastering

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Achilles-, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Not_My_Style

Not_My_Style Peon

Best Answers:
    Got interested in HTML, that's how I initially got started. I also took a CIW class a little after I understood HTML.

Not_My_Style, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  2. -Achilles-

-Achilles- Banned

Best Answers:
    Keep 'em coming. Everybody here is a webmaster so everybody here has a story!

-Achilles-, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  3. -Achilles-

-Achilles- Banned

Best Answers:

^^What he said.

-Achilles-, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  4. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i started when i was 18 i guess in 2002, probably found some computer classes leaflet and decided i would join classes ,i dint have net connection nothing always used to practise in the lab, worked hard, got contacts and made my way till here, now looking to convert hard work to bigger success :)

forumrating, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  5. Duality

Duality Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I got into webmastering because of my sister. I always saw her making these awesome layouts but she never made them for profit.

From then, since I wanted money badly for big things ;), I started to learn to design using Photoshop. After trying to sell my first template to somebody on Yahoo Chat (before it closed down) I realized I had no way to receive the money.

I then when searching for payment processors. The number one choice was Paypal. So I signed up and asked my mom to get a bank account. We got one and I hooked it up to my Paypal.

After this, I successfully sold the template and withdrew the money from my Paypal to my bank account. 'My first sale ever!' was what I said to myself. It made me feel good so I wanted to do more.

I started learning about coding HTML and CSS through a good site called www.htmlgoodies.com and started webmastering from there. I made my own forum but it was on a subdomain. ;)

After this, I started searching for webmaster forums and came across DigitalPoint. That is when I first decided to join but I never made any posts. I read threads about different people making money doing different things like SEO, PHP coding, selling links on their websites, selling their websites, selling domains, etc.

This was a breakthrough for me because I was so happy that designing wasn't the only way I could make money. Don't get me wrong, I love designing but I wanted to try different things.

From that day on, I started posting on DP and established many different websites through reading different threads on here.

If it weren't for DigitalPoint, I wouldn't be a webmaster right now.

Thank you DigitalPoint for being awesome!

Duality, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  6. -Achilles-

-Achilles- Banned

Best Answers:

Yep, DP got me into it too. Searched something about making money online and came across DP. Asked anybody if they'd talk with me on AIM, and found someone who is currently now my partner :).

-Achilles-, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    could find a programming job out of college

turns out it is probably the best thing that ever happenend, if I got a job I would probably be in NY freezing , working in cubicle

ferret77, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  8. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    Me, hmmm, just 1997, I became curious on how the websites are made. What are the concepts, how they are done.

parusa619, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  9. kpwnd

kpwnd Peon

Best Answers:
    In middle school, our school decided to add an Internet Technology insitiute. Though it was small, it was a breakthrough for middle schools. I took robots and whatnot, then intro to computers (teaching you to type and whatnot). In eight grade, they decided to release a Web 1 class. It tought you how to do web design, and work with programs such as Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

When i got to Highschool, I decided to continue with this web design thing. It gave us a chance to get "ceritifed Internet Webmaster" certifications. I was the only person to make a 100% on the exam. That was last year, so now here I am, trying my hand at Seo'ing. I've made a few websites for myself. I havent made much money, but, it's a start. If anyone would want to help me in any ways with tips or whatnot. Feel free to message me. Or message me on AIM - Jaredleemorris. Or e-mail

CIW Jared Morris

kpwnd, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  10. druzilla

druzilla Guest

Best Answers:
    i started mucking around with websites using microsoft publisher.. when i was 9 haha, i didnt even know how to upload it to a server so for about a year I made sites that only i could see.. they were soo lame..
    then i made one with tripod! haha..

always been interested in webdesign.. only this year I started internet marketing and im 22 now

druzilla, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  11. mindiam

mindiam Member

Best Answers:
    I designed a clan site for runescape, then stoped and played games for a while, then after that made a game site, which i copied, and nearly got taken to court half way accross the world.

I then started making my own web sites, for fun, when my computer couldnt run games anymore.

I am still here making sites.

mindiam, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  12. Trisha

Trisha Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best job in the office was coming up for grabs and they needed someone with web editing skills. I said "I can do that." Before I started the job I quickly set up my own website as I hadn't got the slightest clue as to how to be a webmaster. I really enjoyed the experience and now I have quite a big website. I managed to stay just one step ahead at work and thoroughly enjoyed getting up in the morning to face the day's challenge. No-one ever guessed that I hadn't been a web editor before.

Trisha, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  13. Bisje

Bisje Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, now they know :) ;)

Bisje, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  14. mikeg_seo

mikeg_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    I got in to it where I work. I was in sales and out performed beyond company expectations and was about to move to a different company offering to pay me a little extra, went to the boss and told him i was leaving. But i always wanted to work from home and asked about the SEO position. I knew and he knew I had no expierence, but he gave me a raise, and let me learn seo from ground up. I enjoy doing it now because of 2 things. I like challenges, and I like to make money. Working from home is a perk too. I will say that my first year in webmaster work, was all about learning what not to do. I also worked more hours playing catchup so I could stay ahead of the curve, but now that time has passed and I am very capable of it and would not want to do anything else. I know this sounds corny, but I can not thank my employer for taking a chance on me, it was a gamble that paid off for him, and me :)

mikeg_seo, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  15. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    The best thing about this business is that you can start out for free, you can start with a small blog and then grow with time.

KingofKings, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  16. -Achilles-

-Achilles- Banned

Best Answers:
    Yep I started with $8 :).

-Achilles-, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  17. DomainWorks

DomainWorks Peon

Best Answers:
    In my case AOL is to blame. I was working as a professional journalist when I logged on for the first time in 1994, and immediately realized that the Web could be an amazing publishing medium. Then I surfed around the Web and found a bunch of free tutorials about HTML. I started building web sites and haven't stopped yet.

DomainWorks, Nov 26, 2006 IP