1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a tshirt company

Discussion in 'General Business' started by wckd, Oct 22, 2012.

Recently both myself and my cousin have become unemployed so we were trying to come up with ways to make money. We decided to make tshirts and sell them. Both online and locally. More locally for now until things start to get rolling. We already have requests from people wanting bulk orders of shirts. I recently purchased some materials the other day to start building a press to do silk screening with. I have saved those receipts and i am assuming I should keep track of all expenses and write them down somewhere. Correct? We have already worked out roughly how much it is going to cost to make a shirt and a decent average selling price. Only thing not sure of is where to get the blank shirts cheap. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Now since this will all be done in my home what things should i need to know? What kind of things would be a tax write off etc. No one would ever come to my house for the shirts as we will be selling at flea markets or street fairs and shipping out with flat rate boxes. This will only be for now until we can see where the business will lead to. If it takes off we will eventually rent a store somewhere.

Any advice you all can give us? Maybe something I haven't thought of.

wckd, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Find a community based business mentor service - preferably Government funded so you can have a real person to deal with.

The US has some funky insurance rules so check that you aren't voiding your home insurance by running a small business from it.

Find someone who knows accounting who you can meet for coffee to talk over tax claims to get an idea of what sort of paper trails you need in place. I have a friend who owned a soppy, small spaniel and all food, vet bills etc were tax deductible under the heading "Guard dog".

I'd forget ever getting a retail shop... stick to the fairs and ebay and online sales. You'll be able to respond quickly without the overheads.

As for buying the blank shirts... look around the light industrial areas ... there are quite a few businesses with signs out by the road in NZ who sell blanks for $3 each (US$2.50), and I bet if I bought in bulk that would come tumbling down.

Good luck!

sarahk, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  3. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good quality T-shirt, blank with different colors, are Hanes...

Codythebest, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  4. Drent123

Drent123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Initially we have to contact to a cloths company.

Drent123, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  5. wckd

wckd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am going to be speaking with a tax rep tomorrow about this. She is an accountant for her job that also does taxes for them. Pretty good at what she does so hopefully she will point me in the right direction. I think you are right about a retail store. It would be much easier to sell online and other local places. As for where to get the shirts I think we have it narrowed down to either SanMar or S&S Apparel. Both offer case pricing and are pretty reasonable.

Was originally going to go with gildan 6.1oz but I'm hearing bad things about it. People say after a few washes it feels scratchy. But at the same time people are talking highly about the Hanes Beefy Tee's. So I think we are going to go with them.

wckd, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  6. mariajames1

mariajames1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I anticipate you are appropriate about a retail store. It would be abundant easier to advertise online and added bounded places. As for area to get the shirts I anticipate we accept it narrowed down to eithe

mariajames1, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  7. kps

kps Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    T-shirt sales is a wonderful business. You could look for the latest trends in town, and design Tshirts around them.
    For example: Independence day, world cup football, t20 cricket, green IT, etc. You need to choose what works in your market. You could also hold a Tshirt designing contest and create that initial buzz around your brand. The contest can be announced through an email campaign. All you need to do is design and write a persuasive emailer. All the best.

K.P. Sasikumar
    Sabre Marketing Services Pvt Ltd
    Bangalore

kps, Oct 28, 2012 IP
  8. purpletentacle

purpletentacle Peon

Best Answers:
    Threadless and other t shirt businesses do really well online.
    But the biggest problem you're going to have is getting good quality printing on good quality clothing without the prices going through the roof.
    I had a go with Spreadshirt a while back, but once I'd created a good design, selected a high quality of printing and a good quality of tshirt, the cost was pretty horrendous!

purpletentacle, Oct 28, 2012 IP