1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Asking for reputation in signatures...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PayItForward, Nov 26, 2006.

I've been seeing it a lot lately and it is really annoying. I've been giving red rep to anyone who asks for it or has a signature that asks for it. We don't need reminders from your signature. We already know how the reputation system works, and if we think your post is useful we might give you reputation for it.

Is this the general opinion or am I alone?

PayItForward, Nov 26, 2006 IP
    Smyrl and Crazy_Rob like this.
  2. Nithanth

Nithanth Banned

Best Answers:
    What's wrong in that? Not like they beg for the rep; they just ask others to add rep if their post was liked/helpful. IMHO, there's nothing wrong or annoying in that...

Nithanth, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  3. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, something IS wrong with that, because we don't need reminders to give you reputation. The whole purpose of the reputation system is to give reputation to useful posts, so why do you need to put "If my post was helpful, please rep me" in your signature. You are basically being obnoxious by telling us how the reputation system works when we already know. It was always my opinion that the reputation system should be seen and not heard.

I gave you red reputation in another thread because you are one of the people who had this in your signature. I noticed you removed it before posting to this thread, which is very interesting. If you believe nothing is wrong with it then why did you remove it from your signature?

This post isn't a personal attack against you so I'll end that paragraph as it is, just trying to get see what people have to say about the subject and didn't expect you to go "covert op" in my thread ;)

4. DodgyAnt

DodgyAnt Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is right for people to put it in their sigs, but I don't think it is right for you to red-rep them for having it in their sigs either.

Maybe just PM them telling them it is not allowed, as most of the times they don't even know.

DodgyAnt, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  5. chatmasta

chatmasta Peon

Best Answers:
    How about you just ignore it? They aren't begging for rep to be added, and you definitely have no valid reason to give them negative rep for it. If it really bothers you, ask them to remove it. But they probably will not comply, and in that case don't red rep them.

There's nothing wrong with it and there's no reason you can't just ignore it. It isn't hurting anybody. And of course, not everyone knows how the rep system works..

chatmasta, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  6. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes they are begging and yes he does have valid reasons to throw them a red. Its the same as the threads by people crying about rep by asking for green and for the most part eveyone slaps them with red.

Green reps is used as a trust factor by many so if a member has gained their rep from begging they cant really be trusted, can they?

cormac, Nov 26, 2006 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  7. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Giving red reputation to people who ask for it is the only way to ensure its integrity and reliability.

If I don't give red reputation because of someone going against forum etiquette and popular opinion then when can I give it? Red reputation is basically alerting someone that their actions or words are not approved, which is exacly why it gives you the option of "I approve" or "I disapprove". If we never gave red rep then the system would not work.

8. Duality

Duality Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. When you think about it, they are just reminding them. Some people don't know how to give rep. I didn't know how to give rep when I first came here either.

Just let them be. It's not as if they are taking the rep away from you.

Duality, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  9. Rage

Rage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really dont see anyone who ask for rep in signature or post...

I dont know if you are telling about other forums?

Rage, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  10. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, Signatures are not the place to teach people how to use the reputation system. How would you choose who gets to do that and who doesn't? When is too many? When is there not enough?

You do realize that signatures were originally created to look like this:
    Forums have evolved to allow variations of the above, but I don't think it will ever evolve so that signatures become a forum teaching tool, that's what the FAQ/Rules link is for.

11. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Yep, they should not put in signature.If someone likes your post he will rep you.No need to remind others..:) :)
    Saad

saadahmed007, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  12. Duality

Duality Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's as simple as this:
    If the post doesn't deserve a green rep, don't give it one. If it does, give it to them.

I don't see why such a big deal is made out of this.

I have 'Join BestSOTW.com!' in my signature but I don't see anyone getting angry at me.

If it really bothers you, then turn off all of the other people's signatures.

Duality, Nov 26, 2006 IP
    Bean likes this.
  13. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    The creation of this thread caused atleast 6 people to remove it from their signature so far. I pointed out one of them in one of my previous posts.

Asking for reputation in posts has become a little bit more complex though. For example, instead of starting a post that says "Let's rep each other!" it says "Let' have a reputation war! FUN!" with some elaborate reason for everyone to give each other reputation, but the post starter usually gets harassed and ends up admitting he was just angry about getting red reputation and was trying to trick everyone into giving him green reputation.

14. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    We are talking about asking for reputation, not putting a link in your signature. You fail at life.

It's not a big deal, no one said it was. I would like to point out that the only people who think asking reputation is acceptable are the people who don't have any reputation, and the people who think you shouldn't ask for it have plenty of reputation(excluding myself, I'm the only one without a lot of reputation so far in this thread that thinks it is not acceptable)

15. DodgyAnt

DodgyAnt Peon

Best Answers:
    Well then, if we are able to give reds out so freely, we should also give out greens freely. If it is like that then I think it is alright.

16. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not a question of giving them out freely. The debate in this thread is regarding asking for reputation through posts and/or signatures.

It is a totally different scenario if you are giving out greens freely, but they are not asking you to do so. Instinctivly you will give greens to those who deserve them, because in all of our minds the reputation system is a measurement of trust.

17. DodgyAnt

DodgyAnt Peon

Best Answers:
    What I mean is, if people are giving out reds so freely as this, and if this is enough to deserve a red. Then what is considered to be acceptable to get a green should also be lowered.

18. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Giving out reds to people who ask for green is widely accepted amungst the veteran members of this forum.

Anyone with a lot of rep want to confirm or deny my above theory?

There is no way to change what does or doesn't warrant a green reputation. There are a few things are that are known to maybe get you some reputation, such as posting large lists of quality directories but nothing is set in stone and I havn't seen members talk about it.

19. Not_My_Style

Not_My_Style Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm almost glad this thread was created in a sense. It seems that people are almost "afraid" to talk about rep like its some sacred vow or something.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to put "give me rep" in your signature, but what that says to me is, "I'm in desperate need of green rep and can't get any the normal (harder) way." If people concentrated on writing helpful posts that stuck on topic, I'm sure positive rep wouldn't be too hard to find.

Not_My_Style, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  20. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything you just said is exactly how I feel. Reputation can be talked about, although if talking about it you shouldn't be asking for it because you'll look desperate.

The reputation system is nice because it makes you watch what you say and motivates you to write more useful posts.