1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to block Private IPs

Discussion in 'Security' started by richu.mfs, Oct 10, 2012.

Hi all,

my website hosted in a dedicated server, I am overage of bandwidth every month. When i checked my website log, I could see more than 600 visits of my home page from an IP address ( 10.175.49.135 ) in a day. Also other ip address like 10.1.71.23 , 10.0.0.7 do the same . all these are private ips. I want to know whether all these are real visit? if I block Ip range from 10.0.0.0 any problem?

Please reply

richu.mfs, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  2. SolidShellSecurity

SolidShellSecurity Banned

Best Answers:
    You need to talk with whoever manages your network. That is all local.

SolidShellSecurity, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  3. richu.mfs

richu.mfs Peon

Best Answers:
    I contacted Rackspace, where my site is hosted ( rackspace cloud sites ). I did not get good support from them regarding this issue. I just got replys like ' You can google search' ' not much sure about blocking these IPs' etc. They did n't answered very well. is it doing by them to overage bandwidth to earn extra money? As far as I know they are very decent web hosting company.

4. Affiliatin

Affiliatin Peon

Best Answers:
    You should contact support

Affiliatin, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  5. richu.mfs

richu.mfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Affilian I contacted Rackspace Support, where my site is hosted ( rackspace cloud sites ). I did not get good support from them regarding this issue. I just got replys like ' You can google search' ' not much sure about blocking these IPs' etc. They did n't answered very well. is it doing by them to overage bandwidth to earn extra money? As far as I know they are very decent web hosting company.

6. zacharooni

zacharooni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is most likely some sort of HTTP monitoring from Rackspace. Do you have the raw access logs, to see if maybe someone was visiting your website inside of their network?

zacharooni, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  7. richu.mfs

richu.mfs Peon

Best Answers:
    I have got lot of Internal traffic from Rackspace. From one Internal IP itself there had more than 600 visits. Within 20 days my excess bandwidth usage cost was 380 $. rackspace Cloudsite actual cost is 150/month fro 500 gb bandwidth. I cancelled my Rackspace account and bought Hostgator Standard Dedicated Server for 219$/Month with 10TB bandwidth. That is big saving money. rackspace is just sucking.. Rackspace cloud site hosting is very expensive.

richu.mfs, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  8. adspace

adspace Member

Best Answers:
    ya its so easy call your service provider and change your i.p...... or search on Google....

adspace, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  9. arwen54

arwen54 Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all to find out the location of an IP, I use this handy website tool:
    http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp

2nd: it is quite easy to block an IP - if you have cpanel- login into it and scrolll down to the "Security" section and select the "IP Deny Manager"
    enter the IP address you want to deny access to and click "add"

what this does is create an entry in what's called the .htaccess file - This file is very powerful - you can do a lot of things with it -

Learn more about .htaccess on the askapache.com website :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    arwen54, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  10. infinitnet

infinitnet Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see any other way to resolve this, except to contact RackSpace. You could of course block these internal IP ranges and see what happens, but it would be up to RackSpace to resolve this issue, as it's most likely one of their monitoring applications going crazy.

infinitnet, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  11. radium

radium Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you have root access, and csf(firewall) is installed, block the ip from firewall setting.

radium, Jul 4, 2013 IP