1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

pr2 alexa 680.000 followed Dmoz rules submitted 4times/3years still dead link

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by nadia.rashwan.33, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi\Everyone we are travel agent based in Egypt our web site [snip] we tried to submit our website details nearly four times in three years following all the rules carefully after reading them for one week .But still we cannot see our website listed in our niche As category Egypt travel services sub-category travel agent.We asked some web developers they said your link is over there but it's dead link .on the other-hand we don't knew what is the meaning of dead link and active links. wish if any body can help Nadia

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    nadia.rashwan.33, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  2. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do you use google's webmaster tools?

Zoti Media Group, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  3. nadia.rashwan.33

nadia.rashwan.33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I have an account but what's the relationship between google webmaster tools and Dmoz Thanks for your help

nadia.rashwan.33, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  4. StormVZ

StormVZ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is almost dead to, it's never updated so you can wait many more years before even getting in there and you still would be lucky if you did.

StormVZ, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

Did you notice any other listings with a 427 word description :)? No, so what was the point in suggesting one?

jimnoble, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And you read the rules so many times but sort of managed to miss this one
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Anonymously, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  7. mione

mione Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion would be to try and get a local DMOZ listing rather than a general one - as there are moderators who deal with the main directory and ones who will deal with particular areas. Hope this helps!

mione, Oct 23, 2012 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Erh......wrong again, Editors do editing where they wish, within the scope of their permissions.

My suggestion would be as you have heard before, "Submit & Forget" because ANYTHING you do can only be detrimental to your cause. Take the advice.....move on and just forget about it and see what happens in time to come.

snooks, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  9. mione

mione Member

Best Answers:

Actually no I am not wrong, I have had a lot of success by submitting to a geographic area as the editor with permission for reviewing that geographic area will be receiving a much lower number of submissions than an editor who has permissions to review the entire generic area. Therefore, they will get to your submission much quicker for a local listing rather than a general one.

I do this for all my sites and often get my listing within a matter of months.

If you keep submitting, it will cancel your previous submission and go to the end of the queue again so this is also a bad idea.

mione, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you are wrong. Yes sites can get listed faster in some areas, but my name appears on a small geographic regional site, but I am also an editall and sites suggested to the small geographic site don't get listed any faster than any other categories that I am listed as a named editor at the bottom of the page, infact when I think about it I do more editing in my topical categories these days than in regional. And I can show you some topical categories that are well looked after, depends on where an editor's interests or sometimes duty lies.

Anonymously, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As you can see mione, personal experience counts for NOTHING to editors, either do their own rules (unless of course they can use them against you). MANY people have said that regional is often easier to get into than the rest of the directory, and from what I have seen, it simply depends on the region. One area that is VERY difficult to get into is travel and/or real estate...so that might be the trouble here.

And the trouble with the editors may be that they enjoy working in regional, and don't want it spammed like the rest of the directory, so that could be telling you what they are, but no one really knows or even understands them most of the time...

Keeping doing what you are doing if you are getting listed.

Qryztufre, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  12. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand is how you editors actually provide advice straight faced about anything related to DMOZ?

Its like you are parents telling a 6 year old about Santa.

"if you write your letter and you are real good, and you pray real hard, Santa will give you what you want"

When the reality is THERE IS NO SANTA and even if there was, he is giving you what you want because Santa has letters from 42 million children and only 12 elves and of the 12 elves, 6 of them can't read, 4 of them won't read and 2 of them are drunk 24/7 so that leaves 2 elves to read your wish list.

You aren't getting a DMOZ listing for Christmas kid!!

Merry Christmas HO HO HO!!

joeventura, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im afraid that you definately have mental issues....you really do:(

snooks, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If an Editor enjoys editing in Regional, whats wrong with that? Its his time and he is free to spend it editing where he wishes, asuming he has permissions there.

Do you really think he has to edit somewhere he doesnt want to, just to please you or some other Webmaster wishing to improve his SEO? You dont have the right to tell anyone where he should or shouldnt edit, you should know that, given you are an ex-editor with vast experience (4-6 edits ) :)

snooks, Oct 26, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.