1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to test my website using lynx browser?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by geeks4share, Sep 17, 2010.

Hey Everyone,

Now, I am fight with google to get my adsense application approved.For this I was reading webmaster guidelines, google has mention to verify website with lynx browser. I downloaded that text only browser, but don't know how to use it.

I would to like verify my website http://www.geeks4share.com with it

Can anyone help?

Thanks

geeks4share, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  2. Cash Nebula

Cash Nebula Peon

Best Answers:
    What are they objecting to? Your site has a few errors but it's no worse than other sites they have accepted.
    It seems to be working in Lynx but I only checked it with Browsershots

Cash Nebula, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  3. mario212

mario212 Peon

Best Answers:
    Lynx is an old program,with commands like MS-DOS,in console. Skip this step,only Flash sites can have some problems,not your site.

mario212, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Lynx is still under development and has thousands of users. If people developed sites properly, surfing with lynx would be very enjoyable.

To the OP, I don't know how you installed lynx on windows but normally you could just enter 'lynx site.com' from the command line.

drhowarddrfine, Sep 17, 2010 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  5. zuchrivious

zuchrivious Active Member

Best Answers:
    if your're on windows, use cygwin to run lynx

zuchrivious, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    It's disappointing that Lynx is so difficult to get running for the 'average user', because once it is running, it's a great little browser.

Here's the simplest way to get it working on Windows:

1> Get a Windows binary here or here
    2> Unzip it
    3> Start lynx.exe
    4> Press "g" to type in your url
    4> Done.

[​IMG]

---

As far as validating your site for Google, the W3C validator or this Firefox addon are probably going to be of more use than Lynx.

Kerosene, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  7. dheeraj.prakash1

dheeraj.prakash1 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Guys For Your answers.

dheeraj.prakash1, Oct 19, 2012 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Also, 99% of the time what LYNX will show you is basically the same as the site without it's CSS applied -- which is why it's often just as good a test to load the site in Opera, and go into view -> style -> user mode, which basically kills all the CSS stuff... and why when I make a page I start out by semantically marking up the content with ZERO concern for what it's going to look like styled for just that 'single' perfect width screen target the typical dodo crapping out pretty pictures in photoshop are under the delusion is the be-all end-all of web 'design'.

Which to be frank, your page kind-of suffers from with it's fixed width too big for netbooks, too small for real desktops, fixed metric (aka px) fonts, complete lack of semantic markup, and little if any graceful degradation for scripting off, css off, and dozen other things that make it a complete accessibility train wreck.

Naturally that's par for the course when dealing with the fat bloated rubbish markup that is the default output from Turdpress... and most off the shelf CMS for that matter; what with the endless pointless stupid classes, redundant and pointless use of the TITLE attribute, endless pointless DIV for nothing, completely nonsensical use of heading tags, tables for layout, and countless other things that basically prove the folks making the default Wordpress output don't know enough HTML or CSS to be writing jack.

deathshadow, Oct 19, 2012 IP