1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Confusion about meaning of Bounce rate

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by SF2, Oct 2, 2012.

Hello all - im hoping you can help:

I know bounce rate means single page visits, ie, people who visit the site and then leave without clicking any other pages. However, my analytics shows bounce rate for some pages is 80% but the pages per visit is 4. if most people are leaving without clicking, how can page per visit be 4?

Thank you

SF2, Oct 2, 2012 IP
  2. spursrule68

spursrule68 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you are looking at the rate for specific pages. Therefore if someone clicks that page as the last page before they close the browser, it will have ahigh bounce

spursrule68, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  3. zingzing

zingzing Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically you have two metrics: website- and page bounce rate. The website bounce rate is calculated as the rate of people that left the website whithout browsing a second page regardless of their entry point. The individual page bounce rate is the rate of people that leave that specific page without continuing to browse your website. This is an important metric for conversion funnel pages. For example you might have a website with a decent bounce rate but your subscription page may have an unual high bounce rate which signals a problem with that specific page not your entire website

zingzing, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  4. gregorypeter

gregorypeter Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is a factor which is calculated wrt how much time the visitor stays on to the site, if he is moving immediately from the homepage then the bounce rate will increase.

gregorypeter, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  5. ParadigmAU

ParadigmAU Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It would appear some pages have highly engaged visitors and they are pushing up the average page visits for the rest of the site. Of course these numbers are largely meaningless if your dataset is too small.

ParadigmAU, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  6. nadia miller

nadia miller Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is actually people visited your site.................within a second bounce back or close the page.....is called bounce rate

nadia miller, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  7. Saif Rizvi

Saif Rizvi Member

Best Answers:
    Basically bounce rate is that -

1 How many visitor visits the site and leave the page without clicking on it ?
    2 How many visitor stay on your page for more than 10 sec without clicking it anywhere ?

It totally depends upon the content of your site. If the content of your site is good enough to attract the visitors then automatically bounce rate will go low. In my opinion try to optimize your web content in such a way to attract web visitor.

Saif Rizvi, Oct 19, 2012 IP
  8. janeeyer

janeeyer Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah absolutely right........

janeeyer, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  9. veryhappy

veryhappy Peon

Best Answers:
    A good trick is to put an auto-play video that builds an enormous amount of curiosity for at least the first 30 seconds, HAHA! Works on my New style lander sites!

veryhappy, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  10. abcpune

abcpune Peon

Best Answers:
    In my option Bounce Rates can be applied to decide the efficiency or the resourceful performance of the entrance page. If you want to reduce the bounce rate of your index page, I would suggest, you optimize the architecture of your landing page which can help you to fetch more conversions. In my option Bounce Rates can be applied to decide the efficiency or the resourceful performance of the entrance page. If you want to reduce the bounce rate of your index page, I would suggest, you optimize the architecture of your landing page which can help you to fetch more conversions.

abcpune, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  11. seo-first

seo-first Member

Best Answers:
    In that case, may be your other 20 percent users visited more pages of your website such that your average pages/visit came down to 4.

Hope its helps :)

seo-first, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  12. angeljakes

angeljakes Peon

Best Answers:
    I am totally agree with you. Content on a page is most important for SEO purpose and bounce rate totally depends on content.
    If your page content is good then you'll get more visits and less bounce rate.
    So concentrate on page content.

angeljakes, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  13. interactivemaxmarketing

interactivemaxmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi SF2,
    The people that did continue on, saw more pages so when the calculation happens, Google takes the total number of visitors and the total number of pages per visit.

Interactive Max Marketing

interactivemaxmarketing, Oct 29, 2012 IP