1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google Pagerank still important

Discussion in 'Google' started by xtrashots9, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa? No, I don't, Indy. But I'll believe Google's copyright 2012 statements over any poster's contrary opinion.

Jim4767, Oct 14, 2012 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  2. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    lol
    Well maybe you will believe Google and their employee
    http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/webmasters/webmaster-tools/29GtmYDt8L0
    --
    OH!! AND Hey!!! It even has one of those '©2012 Google' things you like to share with us so much...
    ------
    PR is worthless and don't mean crap. It could be deleted right this second and nobodies SERP's would change. Come on man, let's get real now.... Google has known for a while now that people exploit PR, how much weight do you really think they are going to give it...? Seriously....

indyonline, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  3. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This topic has been argued endlessly on this forum. I've got better things to do with my time. I'll just go back and repeat the essence of my original post — "PageRank used to be very important. Nowadays? Probably not very important."

Jim4767, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  4. sekhar203

sekhar203 Active Member

Best Answers:
    page rank is very important if we want organic traffic...only adding quality content is not enough...generating quality backlinks also necessary...if you go for PPC then there is no need of page rank...

sekhar203, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  5. amtexcorp

amtexcorp Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google pagerank is very important. High pagerank helping you to getting attract visitors for website.

amtexcorp, Oct 15, 2012 IP
  6. gombile13

gombile13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    sometime important, sometime not :s

gombile13, Oct 15, 2012 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The key bit here is likely, not will. Google's words, mate. You can't deny those. The theory is, popular sites will have a higher PR. This is not always the case.

And surely you are aware (unless you've been living under a rock?) that PR is:

1. Easy to manipulate.
    2. Easy to fake.

Given these two important factors (and you can independently research them) it can be agreed that PR is a waste of time that a lot of so-called webmasters and SEOs get unnecessarily obsessed about. Higher PR does not mean something will rank higher. Higher PR does not mean something has good content that people read. Higher PR doesn't mean the site will make a lot of money. What does it matter if a site is PR8, for example, if the content is unpopular, on a topic that is now dead?

And surely your eyes have been open over the past couple of years? Particularly since Panda and Penguin PR has gone down for a lot of sites (but not all, of course, before you say it). Some as a direct result of manipulation, others are just a knock-on effect of other sites (that manipulated or were spammed) being hit by Penguin and devalued.

In the end, what is important for a site is traffic, conversions, revenue, engagement, etc, and not a meaningless number that, if a webmaster sticks by Google's rules, no one has control over. (Let's face it, people get into problems when they try to game the system, as demonstrated by all the webmasters/SEOs crying on forums and blog comments.)

ryan_uk, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  8. eyesight

eyesight Member

Best Answers:
    Google rank is to some extent important, not much. Even if your site doesn't have good rank but have quality traffic then it might be more helpful for you.

eyesight, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  9. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk, I agree that people who obsess over PR are wasting time that could be better spent elsewhere on their websites. By the way, I took my first computer course in grad school in 1965. I'm not new at this :) and have not been "living under a rock". No offense taken.

The only reason I post at all in these value-of-PR threads is to correct the commonly-held misconception of the many posters who declare that PR has zero impact on the search engine rankings. It does have some, perhaps very slight, perhaps more than slight (only Google knows how little or how much). And again, as I posted above, I base that on Google's own statement on their website that "Webpages with a higher PageRank are more likely to appear at the top of Google search results." — ©2012 Google — http://support.google.com/toolbar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=79837 That's pretty plain English.

Jim4767, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  10. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    @Jim4767, I remember a video from Matt Cutts and he talked about PR and how it's useful for a site. As far as I remember, he talked crawling, how PR can influence that (especially of new pages, i.e. if they are worth crawling).. However, as you getting a link from an authoritative/well-crawled site can also do the same (regardless of PR). Still, as it's written above "more likely" and not will. It's not needed to rank higher, it's not guaranteed to make you rank higher. And going by what a Google employee wrote (quoted above in indyonline's post), and a quote from what they linked to:

"Don't worry. In fact, don't bother thinking about it. We only update the PageRank displayed in Google Toolbar a few times a year; this is our respectful hint for you to worry less about PageRank, which is just one of over 200 signals that can affect how your site is crawled, indexed and ranked. "

Well, "one of over 200 signals" to me translates to the fact it is irrelevant and the abundance of other factors that influence search engine rankings far outweigh it. Just read through the updates on the Inside Search and Webmaster Central blogs to get an idea of what's relevant, and also the excellent commentary by Search Engine Land. It can't be denied Google has, with its Panda and Penguin updates, reduced the importance of the easily manipulated (like spamming for links, PR, autoblogs, etc) and put the focus back on content.

I would recommend viewing "What is Google's PageRank Good For? - Whiteboard Friday" on SEOmoz. Next move on to domain authority, trust, etc. (And I don't mean in the AD sense.) Sure, it's all not from Google, but it has been well-researched by SEOmoz.

ryan_uk, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with those who have posted not to get sidetracked by PR chasing. Other than occasionally joining in Digital Point threads on this subject, I frankly don't spend 60 seconds a month thinking about PR. I just don't care about it.

I do care about writing good copy, doing good keyword research, obtaining high-quality links (which links in turn result in higher PR), and the like. That's where I devote my time, and it has paid off with an average of 60,000 to 100,000 unique visitors a month to my nonprofit site (sig link #2).

Jim4767, Oct 17, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  12. sharmaseo

sharmaseo Peon

Best Answers:
    yes , its important

sharmaseo, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  13. hope2life

hope2life Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google page rank is not much important because i have seen even pr0 sites are ranking higher. Most import in seo is the popularity of your site. Your site should have direct and repeated visitors. If that is there your site will not need seo and it will come higher automatically. Just make sure to include your keywords in title. Make your site popular by having some useful information on the site. Like if your site offer the facility to show any television channel lot of people will naturally visit to it and they will watch it daily. Once google know your site is popular and lot of natural visitors coming to it, google will also rank your site higher in google. Still if you want to do seo then get high quality and relevant links to your site and that will also do the trick. If you trust me forget about seo. Just try and make your site popular among users by offiline or online advertising. And then watch your site climbing in google as well.

hope2life, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  14. HostMo

HostMo Member

Best Answers:
    Good PR means you have unique content that's a plus factor to leave good impression on your visitors.

HostMo, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  15. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Wrong...
    WOW... SMH @ the lack of intelligence around here...

indyonline, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  16. hollowmatt

hollowmatt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes it is still important, but google search now have a crazy algoritm, dunno what is it

hollowmatt, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  17. Esolution

Esolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is still effecting high PR is connected ..............

Esolution, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  18. Windzal

Windzal Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, Google pagerank is very important. High pagerank helping you to getting attract visitors for website.

Windzal, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  19. indyonline

Best Answers:
    How does page rank attract visitors...? I would love to hear this...

indyonline, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  20. George98J

George98J Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not reallly but it worth, keyword are most important! i think,

George98J, Oct 29, 2012 IP