1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Directory.ac is not on first page of Google?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by lapidus, Oct 11, 2012.

Hello folks

I have one very interesting question and maybe strange.

Why Directory.ac is not on first page of Google? Directory.ac have PR 6 and is not on first page on Google for keyword: Directory. How is that possible?

lapidus, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  2. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "directory" is a hot keyword.

for eg, make a website called "hosting.ac", no matter what pagerank you have, you might not rank high for "hosting"

xc06, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  3. lapidus

lapidus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hm i not understand.

Monthly searches for Directory is 13 mil. just in USA,and keyword Directory have low competition.

I think Directory is perfect keyword and i still can;t get it why he is not on first page. Ok let's say that Directory.ac not have PR,and because of that is not on first page,but he have PR 6.

Is that little strange because is not on first or maybe second page, for keyword Directory which have monthly search global 100 mil. and in US 13 mil ?

lapidus, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  4. sophiec016

sophiec016 Peon

Best Answers:
    Monthly searches for Directory is 13 mil. just in USA,and keyword Directory have low competition.

I think Directory is perfect keyword and i still can;t get it why he is not on first page. Ok let's say that Directory.ac not have PR,and because of that is not on first page,but he have PR 6.

Is that little strange because is not on first or maybe second page, for keyword Directory which have monthly search global 100 mil. and in US 13 mil ?

sophiec016, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  5. jaamama

jaamama Banned

Best Answers:
    you have a large number of back links that's why your site have good pr. I think your opponent sites have good content and great kinds of back links better then you. make quality back links for your site you get defiantly your site on google first page.

jaamama, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I get neither your site or the other you mentioned within the first 4 pages of results. (I stopped looking at that point.)

Their site is a blog. Google likes blogs. The article I checked was unique to them. Google likes unique content.

Your site is a directory. Google likes blogs better - they see them as more content, fresher content and for some strange reason often rank a junky blog ahead of a good static site (for the record, I'm not saying the other site is junk). The article I checked on your site appears on many other sites. Google's not a fan of duplicate content. You haven't posted an article since January. Write or hire someone to write some stuff just for you. If your site is legitimately a PR6 (I didn't check but it would seem to be), you should have plenty of great SEO advice to share with your visitors, i.e. lots of potential articles for you to write.

I must admit I thought your site would have PR only on the homepage and not be as nice as it is. I do think you should make your descriptions longer and get rid of the keyword clouds. Your info pages seem quite stuffed with the name of the listing.

All that said, what would you gain by ranking high for "directory"? How many of the 13 million searchers do you think are looking for a business directory? Probably very few. That's the problem with the one word keyword phrases. Someone searching for a directory could be looking for DMOZ, Yahoo Directory, a phone book, a student directory, list of employees, a pet directory, a software directory, a definition of the word directory etc. It might get a lot of searches but it's really a vague term. That's why Google shows it as low competition.

Think about the last time you were looking for information. Did you type a single word into the search box or 2, 3 or 4 words?

YMC, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  7. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Having keywords in your domain name doesn’t hold the same weight as it once did, the competition for that search term is very high.

Thanks to Google’s recent EMD update, ranking exact match domains is much higher.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  8. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Thanks i got it now. Then i must have rich content to reach a first page. I was think that is enough to just have one main top keyword to get first page,of course with some seo.

Ok now tell me did Directory.fm make mystake because he not put to users must pay to be listed? I mean is better to have web directory(not blog like now) and earn some money from listings. What you think about that? Because he is now on first page and monthly searches is very high.(excellent job for paying directory)

lapidus, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  9. lapidus

Best Answers:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    lapidus, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about anyone else but I didn't see either of your sites within the first four pages of results.

YMC, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  11. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Sry if i ask.You not see Gallery.dk on first page on Google? How is that possible because i see? Now i am confused.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    lapidus, Oct 12, 2012 IP
  12. stinker

stinker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. you did not mention what keyword you used when you searched and saw Gallery.dk on first google page.

2. we see different results because we are on different sides of the planet (different website priority in different countries), also even being in the same country 2 people can see slightly different results on google search on same phrase (not sure but imho it depends on your search history on google - they (google) slightly adjust it for everyone personally (based on browser cookies - your search interest))

stinker, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  13. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not easy get 1 page on Hot KEyword. that need huge Link.

suwandichen13, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  14. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You have the domain portion down..But you probably need more backlinks if you plan on ranking for a term with high competition like that one. I would suggest doing some more link building and then you should see it start to move.

FPForum, Oct 29, 2012 IP