1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newbie .htaccess AuthType Digest Help

Discussion in 'Apache' started by confusedguy, Oct 9, 2012.

Hi, I've recently been playing around with websites, trying my hand at a few things. I had an idea for creating a webpage that I could access from any computer, provided I had a password. I had a existing account with x10hosting and decided to see what they had in place for password protecting. I decided to use their "Password Protect Directories" service. Now, keep in mind I had no knowledge of .htaccess. I followed all the forms and came up with a working page that asked you for a password using AuthType Basic. However, I noticed that my computer complained about the connection now being secure. I'm a sorta stickler on these things, so I looked around and decided to try to change it to AuthType Digest. So far, I've went through a bunch of tutorials but have yet to get Digest to work. I've tried using their support service but none of their users have any idea what I'm talking about. I've renamed the password file to .htpasswd but still no results. I guess I'm basically looking for a set of instructions I can follow to change their password protection to Digest. Just to give you an idea, here's the usual output .htaccess file. AuthType Basic\nAuthName "Secret Stuff" AuthUserFile "/home/secretho/.htpasswds/public_html/SecretStuff/passwd" require valid-user And here's the output passwd file. adminy:$apr1$rDVSxv_v$qHkRJslYQJASI3WbBZYGk. How would I go about changing this to Digest? PS: No matter what I did, I couldn't get my new lines to appear, sorry everything's blended together!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    confusedguy, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  2. pr0t0n

pr0t0n Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've been using and testing standard apache authentication via mod_auth_basic module (AuthType Basic). What you are asking is AuthType Digest which is supported through mod_auth_digest (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_auth_digest.html) and which will work ONLY if your hosting provider has compiled apache with mod_auth_digest module. Otherwise it will not work.

Cheers.

pr0t0n, Oct 9, 2012 IP
    confusedguy likes this.
  3. confusedguy

confusedguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, for pointing that out, it never occured to me that the server didn't have full Apache support. After doing a few searches I found that my server runs LiteSpeed, which has some but not all Apache functionality. Looks like I'll have to try a different more round about way. Thanks again!

confusedguy, Oct 9, 2012 IP