1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to block .pdf or any documents from google bots apearing in search rankings

Discussion in 'robots.txt' started by gaush007, Oct 9, 2012.

The big mistake I did was not to implement strategy for the .pdf files on my website. Google has crawled and indexed these files. The main concern is the title of the .pdf page is related to my keywords of the product page. This has lead to reflecting the .pdf page in the ranking as compared to the product page.

Please help me with this situation. How should I remove these pages from the google indexing in future and this should help my rankings of the product page.

gaush007, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  2. palme

palme Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi
    1 - you make a directory in root of your site with name PANEL (f.example)
    2 - put all file that you want bots can,t se them in that directory.
    3 - you must have a text file with name of robots.txt in the root ,if you have not , then make it.
    4 - open this text file and add

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /panel/

5 - close it and send it to your server
    that's it

palme, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  3. gaush007

gaush007 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply. As you said make a separate folder or directory. That I can understand, but what if google has already crawled my .pdf files and now I realize that I do not want these files in the search rankings. So help me now how to remove these .pdf's from the SERP's. Your reply is correct but this will be applicable in the first instance when the google has not indexed and crawled your pages. But this instance is different. Now what to do with these indexed pages. There are more than 400 pages and I cannot submit url removal query from the webmaster accounts for each page.

gaush007, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  4. gaush007

gaush007 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Any further help for this issue to be sorted. Please help me with this problem.

gaush007, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  5. doktu

doktu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once google has crawled these pages, I don't think you can remove them. Just continue working on your website. Add relevant, SEO'd content, and eventually, the ones you won't need will be outdated.

doktu, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  6. -[z]-

-[z]- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Remember that putting that in robots.txt means that people can still get to your files and bad bots won't obey it.

Maybe protect a folder with a .htaccess and use a php script to download the files for the users, I have done it and google hasn't touched the files.

-[z]-, Nov 7, 2012 IP