1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Delete pages affected by panda updates?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by joepipe, Oct 3, 2012.

If i have pages that were affected by google panda updates should i just delete them and start over again with new pages, backlinks, etc. ? Im getting no rankings for them and wondering if its even worth trying to fix them? Thanks everyone.

joepipe, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  2. gonzalod34

gonzalod34 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want can be deleted, but what you have to do is stop promoting that page. Create a new page & promote the new one for getting better, faster results.

gonzalod34, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  3. Maka22

Maka22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    sounds about right

Maka22, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to first determine whether you were hit by Panda, Penguin, or some other algorithm change like the Exact Match Domain change that just went live a few days ago with the last Panda Update.

Panda went after sites with low quality, duplicate, or thin content. It is a site-wide filter, not a penalty. Penguin is similar to Panda, only it went after sites with low-quality back links. Similarly, Penguin is also a filter.

Filters are applied to sites automatically when their algorithm detects violations of their guidelines or in the case of Panda, when their algorithm determines that your site's content is of low quality. Filters get automatically lifted when the algorithm detects that the problem which originally caused the filter to be applied has been fixed.

Penalties on the other hand are manually applied to a site when a Googler manually reviews a site (typically as the result of a spam report) and detects a violation. Penalties, because they are manually applied, must be manually lifted by a Googler, typically as a result of a Reconsideration Request that triggers a manual review by a Googler.

If you loss traffic across most of your URLs for most of your keyword phrases on a date corresponding to a Panda Update then you can have the "filter" lifted by fixing the content across your site so that it is no longer thin, is no long duplicate, and/or is no longer low-quality. Once you fix the content... the next time the Panda algorithm is run and detects the problem has been corrected, the algorithm will automatically flag your site to have its filter lifted. It will then get lifted the next time Google publishes a Panda update.

If you loss traffic across most of your URLs for most of your keyword phrases on a date corresponding to a Penguin update then you can have the Penguin filter lifted by removing the low quality, unnatural links that you have likely "manufactured" or "planted" across the web through article submissions, directory submissions, blog comment spamming, forum signatures, etc. Once the Penguin algo runs again and detects that the low-quality links have been removed, it will automatically flag your site to have its filter removed. It will get removed the next time a Penguin Update is published.

Canonical, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  5. joepipe

joepipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think its a combination of links that were obtained over time and content. Just thinking maybe its best to start these pages over again with new urls as some of these links I cant get rid of as the owners wont remove them or have disappeared so i cant contact them.

joepipe, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  6. parkeremily10

parkeremily10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you have to re-optimize your web page according to the Google guidelines and remove any bad neighbor, if found in webmaster tools

parkeremily10, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  7. Deepak_Kotian

Deepak_Kotian Member

Best Answers:
    One thing i need to suggest here is, remove all poor quality contents, avoid adding poor quality contents to the website. Avoid keyword stuffing in a webpage, so you can recover from Google Penguin update.

Deepak_Kotian, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  8. raisuddintch

raisuddintch Peon

Best Answers:
    Make change on page in such a way so that con not detect someone is doing seo on these page. And work with a constant speed, quality and make mix links.

raisuddintch, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  9. joepipe

joepipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info everyone. Is there any way I can know for sure if links to the specific site page are harming the rankings?

joepipe, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  10. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The place you need to start is looking at your analytics. If you don't have Google Analytics or something similar, then you're just out of luck. But no webmaster in his right mind would own a web site and not implement analytics. Doing so is analogous to driving while blind.

Your analytics should tell you if the traffic just slowly dropped off over a long period of time or if it dropped drastically on some date (or possibly event multiple dates).

Then determine if the traffic dropped primarily for one keyword, or URL, or keyword/URL combo... or if it seems to have been a global drop for all keywords and all URLs.

Then if you noticed a huge drop on a given date, look at SEOmoz or Search Engine Land. Both of them have pages that log the dates of ALL Panda and Penguin updates. See if that date when traffic dropped corresponds with some known update.

Until you have done some deep analysis like the above of your traffic patterns and tried to attribute the change in rankings/traffic to some particular algorithm change, you are wasting your time "guessing". Make informed decisions before you go altering you site on some wild guess.

Canonical, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  11. joepipe

joepipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do have analytics and it was a drastic drop around April 26, 2012 and the panda update was April 24th according to SEOMOZ. Many keyword phrases I had steady traffic for dissapeared . Traffic dropped about 70%. Im assuming it was this update that started the collapse . If I do try to clean up the site and pages that I think were affected, how long will it take for google to notice and for my site to get traffic back? Not necessarily all of it but at least some. For example , if I clean up some pages and dont notice any change in traffic for a week lets say, does that mean my clean up efforts didnt work ? Are bad incoming links affecting it still ? I dont know how long to wait to see if my changes have taken effect. This is my money site and I am losing income every month because of these panda updates so this is urgent for me to fix. Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    joepipe, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  12. Clad

Clad Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't delete it. Instead, try to find the problem and to fix it. Just play with it, you can't do much worse. Test and repeat, and when you find the right formula, use it for the rest of your sites. :D

Clad, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  13. SEO Haven

SEO Haven Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    NOOO! Just fix them

SEO Haven, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  14. Mega Mind

Mega Mind Member

Best Answers:
    nice information.... thanks

Mega Mind, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  15. joepipe

joepipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cleaned up the pages best I could and did 301 redirects from the old URL to the new pages , then deleted the old ones. I did this because I didnt like the old urls as they were a bit too kewyord over optimized. We'll see what happens.

Another user just mentioned this strategy, any thoughts ? http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2570778

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    joepipe, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  16. jeterboy

jeterboy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Deleting won't help I believe, webmasters tool will pick it up as an error. Better to just optimize it.

jeterboy, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  17. joepipe

joepipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used 301 redirect for pages that were affected by panda updates, made new url and used 301 redirect to send old url to new url in my htaccess file.

joepipe, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  18. TM-aslad

TM-aslad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Update the content of your target pages and submit the website for reconsideration in webmaster tool.

TM-aslad, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  19. nsquareit

nsquareit Member

Best Answers:
    i suggest if you are starting from new pages than start with the new domain

nsquareit, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  20. urbanite

urbanite Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say don't delete them but improve and add content to those pages and then build some quality links to them.

urbanite, Oct 9, 2012 IP