1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's sales copy is more effective, personalized or non?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by martman, Sep 26, 2012.

I hear different things on the matter. I'm working for a company in house seo and one of my jobs is to optimize landing pages for their PPC campaign. I read a lot of marketing books and they seem to say two different things. Some say the best copy is one full of colloquialisms that make the visitor relate to you.

Other books say copy should never be bloated and be direct and to the point. Which one is it?

By the way, the copy will be for registry cleaners and other system utilities.

haha as I'm reading this I realized I effed up the title of this thread. I apologize, I just woke up. It should say which sales copy is more effective.

martman, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  2. TalentedContent

TalentedContent Peon

Best Answers:
    Sales Copy is a fickle thing. The way to think about it is like this. Think about walking into a party and there are 30 people in the party. 29 people are talking about themselves, into themselves, bragging about themselves, trying to prove themselves, talking negatively about others, lack substance in their speech, ultimately providing no value in a conversation. The one person that is not all of those things is charismatic. What makes them that way, they asks questions about you.. Have you ever had this kind of problem/situation. Have you ever tried to address it, How has that gone? Did you address it? What would it be like if you could address it.. It starts with Attention, Can I have your attention by asking you a question about yourself and a problem you may have encountered? Interest, Would you be interested in learning about a solution that I've found that could help you solve that problem? Action: Here is what you need to do to fix that problem. Keep it simple AIDA Attention, Interest, Desire and ACTION. Hope this helps

TalentedContent, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  3. martman

martman Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I think that is pretty good advice.

martman, Oct 1, 2012 IP
  4. Legacy1

Legacy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think for that niche I'd avoid a lot of colloquialisms, but one or two strategically placed may work well. As far as personalization, it's not about bloated (definitely avoid that) vs. direct (almost always good) but rather personal as in, relate the product to their experience. Don't talk about how it does this or that in general, like your talking to a crowd of 1,000, talk about how it's going to affect me individually.

Use "you" and "your" and make me think you're talking directly to me.

If I wanted to buy your product and I asked a few simple questions (and you should know from market research what the main questions might be) then sit down with me and say, OK, let's you and I discuss this. What would you tell me? How would you speak? What would you say?

Then tell me THAT in written form. So when I get to the page, it's like, man! This guy is answering the questions I had in my head and he's touching on all the important points I wanted to know AND he's highlighting all these things that pushing my "buy" buttons inside my head and my heart.

I need to get this thing NOW. I want this! Imagine "me" or whoever your ideal customer is in your head and write a landing page that speaks directly to him or her. That way, even though tens of thousands may be seeing and reading that page, they will feel it's personal. It's for them. That you "get" them and they will most likely get your product.

Legacy1, Oct 1, 2012 IP
  5. digitalwebman06

digitalwebman06 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's the best tip ever. I think you can go for it and then you will get success for sure.
    thanks

digitalwebman06, Oct 2, 2012 IP
  6. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, I too didn't get this "personalized" / "non-personalized" thing here.

traxport121, Oct 3, 2012 IP