1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about Website Redesign - Should I use Wordpress???

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by jonas, Sep 18, 2012.

I am looking to have a website redesigned, it was originally done in frontpage and looks its age. It is an informational site that does not sell any products. The designer I spoke to believes I should be done using wordpress. I always thought wordpress was for blogs, not static websites.

My questions is, is this the best way to do it? I have basic html skills and plan on maintaining the website myself after its been updated. If there are better options out there, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

jonas, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  2. pavanparasa

pavanparasa Member

Best Answers:
    If its not a heavy website, i suggest using concrete CMS Or ModX is awesome too. Wordpress is great for simple sites as well. But since you have the basic HTML Skills, i suggest MODX, Its a learning curve that is worth it :)

pavanparasa, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  3. theivo

theivo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not so hard to use and administrate Wordpress site. Yes, it's a CMS not only for blogs and I must say that the platform is easy to use for my clients.
    For now - you may just use ready template , from wordpress.org site.

Ask if you have more questions.

theivo, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  4. mccomf

mccomf Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is very easy to use and has lots to offer.There are tons of themes and plugin either free or premium.WP forum support is great as well.

mccomf, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  5. abusschaert

abusschaert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i like using wordpress simply because you have the admin panel. if you have more then you working on the site, it is perfect. Just when using wordpress, be carefully you don't look unprofessional and cheap.

abusschaert, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  6. premiumwordpressthemes

premiumwordpressthemes Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should try Premium WordPress themes in 2012 to save time and money. Just purchase a theme about , install and go!

premiumwordpressthemes, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  7. adil2013

adil2013 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi jones,
    you can use joomla to get better design.

adil2013, Sep 19, 2012 IP
  8. TheCause

TheCause Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It helps to know a little HTML. Some WordPress themes look extrmely progessional though.

TheCause, Sep 19, 2012 IP
  9. arunt

arunt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, use wordpress. It's user-friendly and easy to use.

arunt, Sep 24, 2012 IP
  10. HBz

HBz Peon

Best Answers:
    NO!

No no no no
    NO! Use Wordpress if you want to start a blog. Not a static website!

Is this your website?: http://www.mirror-mirror.org/eatdis.htm

It is a small collection of pages which is going to be served so much better by remaining what it is - and not slapping a content management system and database, etc, behind it. Apart from poor, outdated code generated by Frontpage, there really isn't anything too wrong with it. The underlying code is not good, but you have something very simple here, and it works. Stick with that idea!

I don't mean to be rude or abrasive, but reading all these other replies just has me throwing my hands up in bewilderment. What could they possibly be thinking? I have no idea. The designer you're speaking to - I have no idea what he's thinking, either.

HBz, Sep 25, 2012 IP
  11. sophiec016

sophiec016 Peon

Best Answers:
    WordPress is an Open Source software which means it is free! It can be used on any personal, and/or commercial projects without any restrictions (cost, legal etc).

Why would you want to pay a company, a yearly license fee that does the same job as WordPress with a difficult user interface? Why not just hire one developer if you are willing to spend the cash and pay him/her as you need their service. Many high-end CMS requires “Seat Licenses” which means that you have to pay them per user who will be using it. On the other hand WordPress is free of such restrictions. It does not even require backlinks which many other scripts do. However many supporters like us, link back to show our appreciation.

sophiec016, Sep 25, 2012 IP
  12. HBz

HBz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a static website with 5-10 static pages. Why would you need any database or admin interface behind that at all?

All that is needed for the maintenance of this website is a text editor.

HBz, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  13. Joss Board

Joss Board Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is very easy to use, even a non technical person can handle it very well. So if you are planning to switch your site, I think it is a good option.

Joss Board, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  14. jonas

jonas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm looking to do more with the site, improve user experience and hopefully sell more advertising space on the site. I need a more professional appearance to do so. Looks like most of you favor wordpress, so i'm going to try that.

Only other problem is all my pages end .htm, and you can't do that in wordpress. I'll have to do redirects for all the pages.

jonas, Oct 2, 2012 IP