1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you Still Using Image Next to Ads?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by jackburton2006, Nov 24, 2006.

?

Will You Stop Using Image-Next-to-Ads?

1. Hell No. I'm a risk taker, baby!

29 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Hell Yes. Me scarey Google take accounty away!

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Um, I'm thinking about it...

27 vote(s)
    29.7%
    Google is getting antsy about publishers using images next to ads to draw visitor's attention to the ads. Publishers are hesitant to discontinue this gimmick because they're getting more clicks because of it. But considering the current "it might be coming soon" vibe Google is giving off about cracking down on publishers who uses this method, and knowing this yourself, do you still plan to "take the risk" and leave your ads as is (if you are using this method), or have you "reformed" your ways?

I'm curious to find out how many publishers out there are willing to risk their account, and how many would rather not take the plunge.

Vote!

jackburton2006, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    Cheap SEO Services likes this.
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Google's enforcement of the Program Policy and ToS are totally capricious, and they also dynamically invent and enforce rules which are not mentioned in either the Program Policies or the ToS.

Recently, I discovered that the same erratic behavior extends to AdWords advertisers. I have two AdWords campaigns pointed at the same web site, one was rejected because the web site was deemed to be objectionable.

Yes, we all live with the risk of being kicked out of the AdSense program -- but there is only so much you can do to ameliorate that risk when the rules of the game are unknown, dynamically changing, and capriciously enforced.

Will.Spencer, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  3. pulsa

pulsa Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't tried this yet although I've seen and read about it. Well, I don't like it when I visited site with this "image next to ads" technique, it look like a MFA site and for me it's a MFA because all the webmaster care about is ads clicking not the visitors.

So I think sooner or later Google will ban this technique.

pulsa, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  4. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Too true! I never used it but I did ask Critters a lot of questions about it. It's a pain in the butt trying t get it looking right though I must say.

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  5. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I removed mine...

Jarodboy, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  6. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    Always had better results without ads

Kaptain Kangaroo, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  7. ian_batten

ian_batten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had great results with images next to my ads. Although, I still have not seen any evidence that google disallows this method?

ian_batten, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  8. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Just ensure the images do not promote the ads a simple border of line doesnt do this, ive been taking to a Google represetative about this matter...

bacanze, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  9. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I forgot all about Critters. As I recall he was the first one to ever try it, or in any case, made it popular by introducing it on DP. But as I recall, even Critters got antsy and stopped using this a mere weeks/months after he did it (after some muddled warnings from his Google rep), but by then the genie was out of the bottle as it were.

jackburton2006, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  10. pixads

pixads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still using it but thinking about removing the images
    at lease i made the line between the ads and the images bigger

pixads, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  11. Antz

Antz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still using them, I think Google loves me, they've sent me warnings about content on my site a few times, and never complained about images :)

But it's probably just a matter of time.. not that hard to get a new AdSense account anyway.

Antz, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  12. check

check Guest

Best Answers:
    I just removed mine which; now that I think about it, was a fantastic idea. Although they cut me a nice $300 check last month without saying a word, this month is a bit different now that I'm almost at $1000. I have been thinking about removing them at the end of the month, every month since I hear that is when you are most likely to get banned.

When I had my images on I used to have dreams that they sent emails :( . Talk about paranoid.

check, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  13. ian_batten

Best Answers:
    Well, I removed the line from the image, and actually have a line separating the image and the ad. But I don't know whether this is still "legal" :(

ian_batten, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  14. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't put images with the ads, and am not going to.

kh7, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  15. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL. Another guy who thinks he's smarter than Adsense. I'm always amazed at such hubris.

jackburton2006, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  16. Halobitt

Halobitt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Antz - not one to get antsy (see post 1).

Never did the image thing myself.

Halobitt, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  17. Amoy

Amoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    i read somewhere that its ok to have image but the image must not be what the ads about
    like i had debit cards ads i had some debit card images next to the ads
    i moved the debit card image just put cartoon icons nothing to do with the ads so i think thats ok

Amoy, Nov 26, 2006 IP
  18. ian_batten

Best Answers:
    Interesting, that sounds fairly believable. Where did you hear this?

ian_batten, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  19. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He is right. You can get multiple accounts, one for each business....Dont use your SS# Use a tax ID number....

superrichguy, Nov 27, 2006 IP
    PayItForward likes this.
  20. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never did the image thing. When I've seen it implemented, it always looked a little misleading to me. For example, having images that are almost the exact same size as each Adsense block makes it look as though they are connected.

I think it can be even more misleading if you put unrelated images next to the Adsense, such as cute cartoons. Because then you will be getting Adsense clicks due to people thinking they are something to do with your images, when it's something to do with the images that they want, and not anything to do with what is being advertised.

If Adsense does come up with some guidelines about this, they should say something about the size of the images, as well as the positioning.

I can see why they might be hesitant to act on this issue, though. Everyone has images on their sites. Once you get Google trying to dictate everyone's layout, you will get a lot of legitimate publishers saying "screw this" and signing up with the competition.

Obelia, Nov 27, 2006 IP