1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which web hosts to AVOID?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by electroze, Aug 19, 2012.

People are in constant need of a good webhost and testimonials from real, unbiased users who have been with them a while. But since so much of the info is rigged, like 'top 10 web hosts' websites, along with comments by hosting companies make on this web forum about how great their company is...

Can someone at least tell me the hosts you recommend people to AVOID?

electroze, Aug 19, 2012 IP
  2. WebCare||360

WebCare||360 Member

Best Answers:
    Well, before choosing a web hosting company, you can Google about the Reviews.!

WebCare||360, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  3. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    why search for those you need to avoid? search for those with best reviews instead.

atxsurf, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  4. pete.prestipino

pete.prestipino Peon

Best Answers:
    Reviews in my experience - particularly in the hosting space - tend to be quite biased so I stay away from them. I have not switched web hosts in a few years but if I were to, I would measure their availability and performance first. There are a few free and paid services out there which make it easy to monitor the availability (uptime) and the speed of sites for free.

pete.prestipino, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  5. Noticed

Noticed Active Member

Best Answers:
    EIG owned Web Hosting site's are providers you should stay away from. They oversell and don't make a point to please their customers.

Noticed, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  6. cool_ghani

cool_ghani Member

Best Answers:
    Avoid Godaddy Hosting as their support sucks to the core. I have faced many problems with Godaddy and Blue Host. The best hosting provider I have used is Hostgator.

cool_ghani, Aug 21, 2012 IP
  7. InnovusHost

InnovusHost Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything owned by EIG and GoDaddy are good ones to avoid. Also 1and1 is really crappy.

InnovusHost, Aug 21, 2012 IP
  8. IamPower

IamPower Peon

Best Answers:
    Things you should know about before you search for a host:

- Most review websites are affiliate commission based sites that rank the best host if they pay high commissions; so look for reviews on facebook and twitter and social media sites like this.
    - Look for good customer response (email them with a question you already know the answer to - so you can see how long they take to respond).

Other than that - going for the "most well known" hosts is not always the best idea - as they try to provide for everyone, which always causes a reduction in service quality.

IamPower, Aug 22, 2012 IP
    I, Brian likes this.
  9. findoutfast

findoutfast Peon

Best Answers:
    Although there is much hype, GoDaddy is very poorly rated with hosting and should be avoided.

findoutfast, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  10. PromptSpace-Kushal

PromptSpace-Kushal Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy, EIG Hosts, 1and1, Up2VPS, LusoVPS are a few

PromptSpace-Kushal, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  11. electroze

electroze Active Member

Best Answers:
    This input is useful. As stated in the above, knowing which ones to avoid has more credibility than review sites- random people pushing their own affiliate-tagged hosts, or them selling the listings, or the owners themselves. Review sites are mostly crap and rigged.

I have a 1and1 account and I agree, it sucks. Mainly because they don't use cpanel and they don't let me add any domains to it, unless I completely transfer the domain registration to them, then pay them $. So, I hate it. And they don't allow crons either. Basically not worth messing with them.

Here's my list to avoid, from my direct experience in the last 15 years of using numerous hosts:

AVOID:
    1and1
    dreamhost
    infinology
    ipowerweb - major billing hassles
    GreenGeeks - untrustworthy practices
    webhostingpad - slow server, bad support
    hostnine - bad support
    3ix - cheapest, but only use them if you want viruses and want to be hacked all the time. Plus they sometimes shut down your server for random reasons and forget to restart it.
    LiquidWeb - they scammed me out of about $10,000 over a 5 year period, by saying I was buying a 'managed server'. I paid $200/mo for a pentium 4 box with a corrupted backup drive, which never changed and after 5 years of paying ($200/mo = $2,400/yr *5 years = $12,000), I learned the server wasn't managed at all! They said it was software 'managed' because of a stupid monitoring web app they made, but it was very different than a real human being managing and installing updates, fixing errors, maintaining, etc., which is what I was led to believe they were doing the whole time (but they weren't). So, the service they provided for about $10,000 should have costed about $300 or less- similar to a cheap shared hosting account. My $2/mo shared host was actually faster than this server.

Also beware of 'free domain for life' scams.

electroze, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  12. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone notice what most of these companies have in common? Unlimited everything for a few bucks a month. I don't know when people are going to learn that you get what you pay for, and going with companies that offer "unlimited" everything, or oversell the heck out of their servers, you're just asking for trouble.

Yet people keep looking for the cheapest possible hosting they can with unlimited everything. Just check out the forums here or WHT, and you see it constantly.

WSWD, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  13. webmaster555

webmaster555 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the reviews of some company are not good then one should avoid them.
    But first have to check thoroughly about the feedback of people.

webmaster555, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  14. 7Host

7Host Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well I agree with this point

7Host, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  15. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'd be avoiding every host if you search which is to avoid. No host is perfect but I sure some of the best reputable ones aren't overselling and do their best for your convenience.

etc, Sep 19, 2012 IP
  16. Natcoweb.

Natcoweb. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think any company have both good and bad reviews. And one can decide to avoid this or that company just having a personal experience.

Natcoweb., Sep 19, 2012 IP
  17. angelesc

angelesc Peon

Best Answers:
    HostSo...... it limits the database connection to 15 at a time, so if you have more than 10 user online, look for another company

angelesc, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  18. Hoster1983

Hoster1983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get reviews from real users, not just some "fake" review sites. For instance, check for reviews on Web Hosting Geeks.

Hoster1983, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  19. Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The ones that claim to say they have unlimited disk and bandwidth.

Spetsnaz, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  20. Collateral

Collateral Member

Best Answers:
    Hostgator..?

Collateral, Oct 9, 2012 IP