1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Counts and What Not in Bounce Rate?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by Mr.Dog, Jun 11, 2012.

Hi,

I've asked myself several times how Google Analytics calculates bounce rates... We know the general rule, but what is your opinion in the next cases:

1.visitor comes in and clicks on an AdSense link - clicked nothing on the site, so I think it counts in bounce rate (makes bounce rate higher)... or not?
    2.visitor plays a video after entry, stays 3-4 minutes, as long as the video goes, then leaves by hitting the "back" button - does this add to the bounce rate?
    3.visitor arrives, stays on page and views a JQuery image library, then hits the "back" button - does this inflate or reduce bounce rate?
    4.visitor arrives, fills in a form and fills in a form, hits "submit", but this happens without directing the visitor to a new page - visitor remains on the same page after submission - how does this influence bounce rate?
    5.visitor enters page, then a popped-up/floating "window" appears for signing up for newsletter, visitor sign up and leaves site - how does this influence bounce rate?

Many thanks for sharing your opinions :)

Mr.Dog, Jun 11, 2012 IP
  2. Cybercon

Cybercon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe a bounce only occurs when a user comes from Google or another site and visits a single page on your site then hits the back button and returns to the original source. A user which watches a video embedded in the page and then hits the back button likely would be counted as having bounced.

Cybercon, Jun 11, 2012 IP
  3. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am afraid just about anything I enumerated counts as a "bounce".
    I still think if a visitor clicks AdSense or if they type in a new URL, without hitting the "back" button, it would still count as a "bounce".

Mr.Dog, Jun 11, 2012 IP
  4. TheCreator

TheCreator Banned

Best Answers:
    I think people landing in a single page in our website and not close it for so long time (?) will also be counted as bounce ?

TheCreator, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  5. gregorypeter

gregorypeter Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate increases because of several reasons like inadequate content or information related to the previously browsed content, or it may be due to some technical reasons.

gregorypeter, Sep 21, 2012 IP
  6. Mispero

Mispero Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think, bonus rate its calculate with each request to the analytics code. low time is bounce. A only request is a bounce.

Mispero, Sep 23, 2012 IP