1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Targeting more keywords with a longer anchor text.

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by kevinn, Nov 23, 2006.

I've been doing some research as it seems to me like if i build links with the anchor text: "Big Loud Powerful Speakers" It's the same as building links for "loud speakers" or "big speakers" or "powerful speakers", it's just makes it easier to target 3-4 of your keywords instead of 2 and you'll get the same results when you search for loud speakers or powerful speakers in "G".

So my question is - Is it the same if i build links for "big speakers" and "big loud powerful speakers"? Does "G" count the exact anchor text phrase or just the words in the phrase?

I hope i make some sense with what i just wrote.

Speakers is just an example, im not building links for speakers..:D

kevinn, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  2. Roxyyo

Roxyyo Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good idea to use different variations in anchor text anyway, looks more natural. I'm experimenting with longer anchor text strings as well, as there's a good chance there's a benefit. For example, if you're linking with "Apple Computers" there must be value for searches for "apple" and "computers."

Roxyyo, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  3. Warkot

Warkot Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, using long keyword phrases is definitely beneficial. Not only is it the only option for a new site (because long phrases are much less competitive), if you have a huge number of long keyword phrases, in my experience you'll also benefit from:

(a) getting to Top 10 in SERPs for these exact phrases when someone actually types them (and yes, people do type them);

(b) getting much more targeted traffic. When people search for "speakers", they might not be your customers. When people search for "big load vintage speakers" (and you sell exactly that), the conversions will be super.

(c) amazingly, over time, you'll rank well in Google for the numerous shorter combinations of keywords contained within your long phrases -- many of which you couldn't have imagined in advance.

Warkot

Warkot, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  4. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    long words for sure works, as it makes 2-3 combination of searches and helps more to find the site for related keywords.

like 3-4 words can be very important ..

i am myself working on few keyword tests.

forumrating, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  5. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done both, long phrases and shorter phrases. They both seem to work well. However, when I decided to key in a one competitive phrase using only the two word phrase I was looking for, my site jumped from nowhere in google to page 2 within a few weeks. (with mostly free diretory links and exchanges). So, I *think* that the exact phrase as opposed to a longer string containing that phrase, will help you climb the serps faster. I still change it up at times, but I have decided to concentrate on one phrase at a time. Once that phrase gets to the top 5 in google, I will start concentrating on another. That is my current plan of action. :)

Janet, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  6. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess to rephrase the issue,

Does a link with the link text One Two Three

benefit your rankings for "One" just as much as for "One Two Three".

I'm inclined to say "yes"

adamjthompson, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    kevinn likes this.
  7. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    I would tend to disagree. In my experience, making the decision to use the two word phrase instead of three or four word phrases around the two word phrase I was targetting, got me the results I was looking for. In three weeks I jumped to page 2 in google for this phrase. Before I wasn't ranking at all. Again, this is just from my experience. I believe using the two word phrase carries more weight than using a three or four word phrase.

Janet, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  8. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. Interesting. I tend to use the shorter link texts with more variation, to make it look more natural.

I have notuiced though, that links with One Two Three seem to get me just as good of results for the keyword One Two.

adamjthompson, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using multiple keywords and have not had too much success, for the next three months I am going to try cutting them down and see if it helps. For some reason I think it will.

jg123, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  10. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a follow up, my site has now jumped to #5 in google for the keyphrase I spoke about above. Now, I am positive that using the shorter phrase has helped my site more than using a longer string.

Janet, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  11. Warkot

Warkot Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

As a side note, I always go for longer phrases first with a new site, since they do bring significant benefits in terms of rankings, and are MUCH easier to rank for well with a new site. Especially in Google.

Warkot

Warkot, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  12. Swordfish

Swordfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have found lately, that the surrounding text of the link is becoming important. Such as an article that is well targeted with different links within it. You can accomplish this by submitting to blogs and articles sites, etc.

Swordfish, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  13. Warkot

Warkot Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, the context around the link is important. But, the best way you can create good context is by creating lots of good content, e.g. on your own blog.

And, if submitting to blogs means abusing blog comments, I'm sure everyone knows that not only is this spammy, it'll also bring no link love because of nofollows.

Warkot

Warkot, Nov 28, 2006 IP