1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seinfelds "Kramer" and his racist comments...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AngelaR, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Rick_Michael

Rick_Michael Peon

Best Answers:
    What I meant was: The media doesn't focus on the racism of other races as much (and a lot exists).

Richard is neligible to what I'm talking about....he's a spoke on a wheel.

Rick_Michael, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  2. syed123

syed123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am really tired of people comparing Michael Richards (atleast use "" while saying "Kramer") to Chris Rock. What Chris Rock does is completely different and in a completely controlled environment. His audience do not go out on him as they know what they are coming for. With Michael Richards, it was completely different as it was appreared to be more like anger.

However, I personally think he just wanted to hurt that person and did not want to offend all African Americans. Notice when he says "those words...those words.." - shows he used "those words" to anger him ..while unfortunately he offended many more.

syed123, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  3. jc_yusuke

jc_yusuke Peon

Best Answers:
    he's out of his mind..saying allthose things in front of everyone?!
    man, he's one hell of loser! ricist biotch!

granted he apologized already, but what has been said has been said...no one can change that!

jc_yusuke, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  4. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it was part of the comedy routine at first...there are so many comedians that say racist things while everyone knows they are not racist...Lisa Lampanelli comes to mind...I am almost certain that this was what Richards was trying to do...he was trying to say something so totally outrageous and so opposite to what is conventionally believed ...even though he doesn't necessarily believe it...it just got too out of hand Richard's himself wasn't sure what he was doing...

While I don't want to downplay the effect this kind of "humor" has on the feelings of black people...who I believe act as the needed racial conscience of our country...I do think we should recognize how being on a stage can alter and warp a person's behavior and, in turn, our perception of that behavior...I wouldn't characterize this as a Mel Gibson kind of tirade which occurred beyond a stage where one can be much more certain it wasn't an act...

I think, when it comes to racism and objecting to offensive behavior, it's important to pick ones battles carefully...Objecting to racial profiling by police or the racist policies of a country is a far more crucial battle for civil rights than trying to determine whether somebody on a stage really believed the offensive comments he or she just made...

That said, I understand the request of the black community for further confirmation and explanation from Mr. Richards...one does not want to ignore , for example, the racist comments of, let's say, a neo nazi, just because he gets on a stage and calls his rants a "comedy routine"...

mike323, Nov 24, 2006 IP
    timsdd likes this.
  5. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps 'nigga' is not the most appropriate term of endearment for young black men considering the historical context of the word.

Hon Daddy Dad, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:

If this is the case, then why was the first thing out of his mouth the next morning an abject apology - not for a joke gone wrong, but for the earnestness behind what he said?

Nope. It seems to me this is what leapt to his mind when his routine went to hell. As Paul Rodriquez said (and I paraphrase), this wasn't a sitcom - it was standup. He had no business doing it if he couldn't handle the lion's den it can become.

northpointaiki, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I agree.. There is no comparison. Chris Rock is a dick on purpose and all the time... He is damn funny though...

Mia, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Update: I saw an interview on MSN with the two guys Richards addressed his rant to...if we are to believe their account, seems it was a group of 20 people, mixed race, coming in after his act started. Waitress was taking drink orders, when Richards looked at one of the two, flipped him off, saying "F%$# you, NI$$#@!," apparently as they were too loud; and it went south from there...

That said, I think it is utter bullshit Gloria Allred has her hands in it, now, and a lawsuit is likely. I'm so sick of our litigiousness.

northpointaiki, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  9. Duality

Duality Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I watched it and I'm disgusted but what is going to happen if you guys complain about it? Absolutely nothing.

There is no point in talking about it anyway. Why feed more bad news on top of the bad news we see on TV, newspapers, magazines, etc.

Kramer or whatever his name is, isn't going to change unless he decides to do so himself so there is no point in trying to change it.

I obviously don't approve of this since I am black myself but it's better off just left alone.

Duality, Nov 25, 2006 IP
  10. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree there is a grey area where even Richard's himself is confused by his own behavior...Of course, it makes sense to go by the official statement of Richards' ...and, after some thought, if he himself concludes it wasn't part of the act, we should take his word for it...and conclude he didn't know how to express anger without having a racial component to his words...

mike323, Nov 25, 2006 IP