1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal as only payment option, would it put you off making a purchase?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MobileInternet, Sep 5, 2012.

I am building a store to sell digital downloads and want to use PayPal to process credit/debit cards or take payments from PayPal balances.

My question is would PayPal put you off, even though you can pay via credit card without having a paypal account?

MobileInternet, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  2. affishare

affishare Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion is that 99% are using PP, so you can go for it. ;)

affishare, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  3. freelancerIT

freelancerIT Peon

Best Answers:
    You could use Payoneer also. But PayPal is very common.

freelancerIT, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  4. Dean_Saliba

Dean_Saliba Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely not, I personally like dealing with companies that accept PayPal as the money I wish to pay with is in my PayPal account most of the time. :)

Dean_Saliba, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  5. MobileInternet

MobileInternet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great. Thanks for all the feedback

MobileInternet, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  6. Lewey Lu

Lewey Lu Guest

Best Answers:
    If you're doing good volume, then don't use Paypal. If you have a business and you sell digital product, connect with a Paypal rep and sign up a business account.

I hope that helps,

Lewey

Lewey Lu, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  7. BuxSplash

BuxSplash Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that Paypal is the most popular payment processor.

but, i would recommend you to use plimus/2CheckOut (they accept PayPal)
    because many dispute intentionally though the product gets delivered to them. so its safer to use them.

BuxSplash, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  8. tyteen

tyteen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think not, if you are an online business should you use paypal

tyteen, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  9. alexoscarew

alexoscarew Peon

Best Answers:
    You must put PayPal as an option because it is hassle free than Credit Card.

alexoscarew, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  10. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    You should also provide different option of payment but it is true that most of the websites are using Paypal

MikeQ, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  11. Lewey Lu

Lewey Lu Guest

Best Answers:
    Some people here don't really understand the risk of using Paypal. Well, if you really want to learn it in a hard way, then go. :)

Lewey Lu, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  12. nickberry

nickberry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never had any problems with paypal, and I only accept paypal payments with PatriotBarter.com. I signed up for a micro-payment account since the majority of our payments are under $5 I have loved it so far.

nickberry, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  13. Lewey Lu

Lewey Lu Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe because you're not doing that much volume yet. Once you hit 50k to 100k or more a month. Naah, you will get these weird series of an unusual emails from Paypal. :)

Lewey Lu, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal is widely known and practically a household name thanks to eBay. As a payment processor it would not put customers off. PayPal gives the option to pay as a member or directly with your card.

Personally I don't like to use PayPal as the payment processor. The service is confusing to those who DO NOT have an existing account. There are MANY things that can DELAY your customer from making a purchase on your site. You also running the risk of customers giving paypal the run around by trying to get their money back on digital goods. PayPal will NOT fight for you. They will simply issue a refund to the customer without even bothering to "investigate" properly.

I also believe PayPal looks unprofessional and consumers view web sites with PayPal as a processor as a "personal" site or higher risk site. I think you should process credit cards directly. Consider services like Charge.com, Authorize.net or 2co.com.

You also have to TRUST the PayPal service to get your money. If they suspect "foul play" they may just hold your funds. An eyebrow can be raised at the smallest complaint from an angry customer. Imagine making $10,000 legitimately and finding out your paypal account was frozen because a 13 year old kid made a ridiculous dispute to get his only $5 back after receiving the virtual item. You would be at PayPal's mercy and subject to opening support tickets PRAYING and HOPING the overseas minimum wage worker for paypal actually knows a thing or two about the internet and/or your business.

One time I accepted $15k to my PayPal account for a vehicle I sold. The customer came from PA to NJ. Inspected the car and sent the funds from his BlackBerry. Paypal froze my account because the customer signed up with a PA IP but the transaction was made from an NJ IP (same state as the receiver). Upon their "investigation" they returned the money to the Buyer leaving me without my car, the title, and the money. I opened a dispute and paypal tried calling the Buyer but their phone number didn't work because it was an old cell number. PayPal told me there was NOTHING they could do about it. I contacted the buyer and had the buyer contact Paypal. THEN the funds were re-transferred... Do YOU want to go through that bullshit???

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    NetStar, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  15. Lewey Lu

Lewey Lu Guest

Best Answers:
    Hahaha. You hit the nail netstar. If you want to learn it in a hard way, then do it.

Lewey Lu, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  16. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not strictly true, paypal very rarely gives refunds to the purchaser on digital items, I sell scripts and get scammers attempting chargebacks on an almost daily basis and paypal have always denied the claim and returned the funds to my account.

malky66, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  17. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless your affiliation with PayPal is as a MEMBER which is the exact same level as the consumer. You are BOTH customers of THEIR service and must comply with THEIR terms. As a direct merchant any disputes made on the consumer end MUST be resolved between You, the Credit Card company, and the Consumer. It's a no brainer... if you are looking to make a few bucks you can afford to go with PayPal because it's free and the risk will be minimal. If you are looking to deal with money on a larger scale your business cannot afford to be subjected to PayPals own holy bible.

NetStar, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  18. fruzzlies

fruzzlies Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all since you're able to purchase with a credit or debit card through PayPal as well.

fruzzlies, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  19. jayleeh1989

jayleeh1989 Peon

Best Answers:
    It wouldn't put most people off because PayPal is very popular however - some people think they need to have a PayPal account to purchase goods from your website and sometimes wouldn't bother with that not knowing they can just make a card payment via PayPal.

jayleeh1989, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  20. markinternet

markinternet Member

Best Answers:
    i love paypal, easy payments, quick.i prefer merchant account like powerpay

markinternet, Sep 8, 2012 IP