1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Page load issues on wordpress - please help!

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by Creature, Sep 4, 2012.

Hello everyone

My blog running wordpress at studentstech.com is really slow at some times.
    I have tried everything, gzip compression, image optimization, I have installed and configured correctly the W3 plugin and every single tip I have found on the net.
    I am about to start using a CDN but I am not quite sure if it will fix the problem.

You see sometimes it needs more than 10 sec to load and the tool at http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ shows that the most time is spent on Wait on my domain.

Some other times it loads as fast as 1.5 secs.

I am really confused and cant seem to find the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I didnt see the wordpress forum, please a mod move this!

Creature, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Have you tested the super cache plugin? Once I installed that on a high traffic site I had no issues. If it takes 10 seconds to load your site it sounds like you need a new web host.

dcristo, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  3. Creature

Creature Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was told that the W3 cache plugin is better than super cache and I am using that. I am really confused since the most time is spent on waiting for data from the server. What exactly does that mean? A problem with my host? I am on godaddy

Creature, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  4. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you hosting on a shared host plan? If so, request they move you to another server with less use. WordPress is also database intensive - make sure you keep your database optimized.

I also see many of your posts has Amazon ads embedded in them - this will most certainly slow up the loading of your site.

mizaks, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  5. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like you have a really terrible server or one that is misconfigured.

I can't tell if it's the server itself, or the connection to the database.
    http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120904_85_H0V/

It's taking forever to start delivering content. Try replacing the wordpress index.php temporarily with a static index.php or index.html page that delivers something simple like "hello world" to see if the latency goes away. That will tell you what to complain about when you call tech support.

Also, make sure you always refer to the http://www.studentstech.com as it adds about 10 seconds making the switch from http://studentstech.com

RobinInTexas, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  6. Creature

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips

I replaced the wordpress index with a simple html index and it loaded almost instantly. So I guess the problem isnt with the server after all.
    So it might be a problem connecting to the database? How can I test it and fix it?

I cant thank you enough so far guys!

Creature, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  7. RobinInTexas

Best Answers:
    That would indicate that there is a problem with the connection between the webserver and the MYSQL database. If the tech support at your hosting company can't (or won't) fix it, it would take less than an hour to move to a new server.

RobinInTexas, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  8. nufox

nufox Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try cloudflare to optimize your page speed. I think there's a free version of cloudflare if I am not mistaken.

nufox, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  9. Creature

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your help.

I have contacted godaddy and said they would review my hosting account.
    I have also tried cloudflare although it doesnt really fix my problem it helps my site load even faster when the connection is established of course.

Creature, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  10. PrinceofPersia

PrinceofPersia Peon

Best Answers:
    Use w3tc, cloudflare, CDN. That fixes your problem also I suggest to try WPWebHost they provide great services, Lightning Fast Servers, Amazing Security, Expert WP Support and free CDN per package. We also provide money back guarantee in case you didn’t like.

You can Read More at
    techbuzznews.com/wpwebhost

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    PrinceofPersia, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  11. indiaholidaydiary

indiaholidaydiary Member

Best Answers:
    You need to make sure cache is clear and try to avoid using too many plugins in word press. Make images are not that heavy in size..hope this help!!

indiaholidaydiary, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  12. RobinInTexas

Best Answers:
    The fact that it took 10 seconds for the site to deliver the redirect from http://[COLOR=#111111]studentstech.com to [/COLOR]http://www.studentstech.com brought me to the conclusion that the webserver is taking that long to establish a connection with the MYSQL server.
    The browser establishes the connection to the server at http://studentstech.com, gets the redirect after the webserver talks to the database. Then it creates a new connection and starts the 10 second delay again.
    Once that second connection is established and content starts getting delivered things happen at an ok speed.
    The CDN, cache and other solutions cannot solve that problem.

RobinInTexas, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  13. Creature

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your help.
    I also concluded that the problem lies on the server and since godaddy was starting to get on my nerves I moved to bluehost.
    Everything works like a charm now!

Creature, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  14. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We won't fix back end server problems (we'll still help take server load off and help site load faster in general, so it is probably helping more than not having us on).

damoncloudflare, Sep 7, 2012 IP