1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Press release distro companies: PRWeb vs. MarketWire

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by telephone, Dec 7, 2006.

Hi everyone,

I recently posted asking forum members their thoughts on using PRWeb's services. I got some great feedback and was excited to try them out until coming across MarketWire today.

Does anyone have experience out there that would help me choose which service to use? Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

telephone, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  2. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Go with PRWEB. It has 4 times the reach marketwire.com/ does (according to alexa). However, I do not have personal experience with marketwire.com/ Good luck and post back with which one you went with and your thoughts.

drig, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's probably pretty inaccurate trying to compare the reach of the two, especially based on Alexa. There's going to be an obvious discrepency, b/c webmasters predominantly use PRweb... just look at the difference in news quality between the two.

If you mostly care about backlinks and reaching bloggers or small online media, use PRweb. If you're more concerned with geotargeting, getting in front of larger publications on a larger scale, etc., use a service like Marketwire or PRnewswire.

jhmattern, Dec 7, 2006 IP
    drig likes this.
  4. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Good quality post. Good points. Rep added.

drig, Dec 7, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  5. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    I attended a webex yesterday put on by PRWeb. Their services seem like a good fit. I think I will likely put out two releases over the next month or so, and at least one will be with PRWeb. I will let you guys know how it goes!

telephone, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  6. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, just wanted to update you with my experience. I went with PRWeb and their $120 offer. I am really happy with the customer support they provided. As a first timer with their service, I had some questions and was able to call and both times spoke with very helpful people without waiting on the phone for long at all.

I kind of wish that more inquiries related to the press release itself were making their way back to me but it's tough to know if it's due to the content of the release or due to using PRWeb that not a lot of reaction has come of it. Tough to know. I'll probably do another in a couple of weeks. I may switch it up next time around just to experiment with another company's service.

telephone, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Well if you want feedback on the release itself, post it here and I'll happily give you some background on whether it might have been a likely problem or not.

There's not often a huge media response from typical PRweb distribution. $120, if you didn't at least outbit that group at $121, 125, etc. probably didn't give you top 30 placement (possible, but better chance it didn't).

Real newswires can be an improvement in that they'll let you directly target niches and regions, and your release goes directly to the journalists. Better yet though, at least manually distribute to a couple of primary publications, and be sure to email it or fax it to someone as AP.

jhmattern, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  8. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give kudos to jhmattern for her assistance with my press release. I forwarded her the press release I mentioned in the beginning of this thread as she asked in the post right above this one. She did a terrific job of constructive criticism for me, and gave me some tips I'll use the next time I put together a release, which I'm looking forward to now!

Thank you Jenn! :)

telephone, Dec 15, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  9. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    JEnn of course is one gem of an Internet Marketer, I have no doubts on that one :) Glad to see her helping out people.

Thanks on telephone's behalf J!

IT

Correctus, Dec 15, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  10. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    so are you guys saying while some may use prweb as a source most REAL news sources, wirters, shows, etc never see any of that stuff and that yu need to use more of a real newswire service? if so any examples of a service/company?

MountainLife, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Yes. It's not that none do... I've had clients get picked up in some great outlets that way... but you have to be visible to have much of a chance (which means getting a top ten spot preferably; top 30 at least). You also won't likely get too much response from broadcast media or even print media... if you get good coverage, it will most often come from online outlets.

If you want a better chance of reaching traditional media, yes, you'll want to use real newswires or services that are better (usually also means more expensive) at getting news directly in front of appropriate journalists for your region or niche. A free option is to submit to Associated Press (www.AP.org). But there are plenty of paid services that can get you good results, including:

www.prnewswire.com
    www.businesswire.com
    www.marketwire.com

Jenn

jhmattern, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  12. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    outstanding reply thank you

MountainLife, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  13. TG2006

TG2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    PRweb are ok but there are far better press release sites

TG2006, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  14. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you please direct me to your ebook which explains these "far better" press release sites?

Brandon

brandondrury, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I already detailed several of them in this thread. PRweb is fine for some things, but yes, there are far better options if you're serious about any kind of coverage; even if using it to build high quality backlinks on authority sites versus low quality backlinks in simple news feeds and distribution sites themselves.

Jenn

jhmattern, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks Jenn that was good helpful information you shared with us.
    So what do you think about ClickPress?

I think the best solution for this is to hire you to help me with our press releases. Please PM me I would like to discuss to you our current projects.

GrillMaster, Aug 31, 2012 IP