1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

directory listing or proxy

Discussion in 'Apache' started by suy, Aug 16, 2012.

Hi,we have a departmental web site on a Apache server. recently someone made a request about listing of files. basically this group of people share files through a afp server with mac machines. they want to make some files under one specific folder publicly avaialbe through the departmental web site.the afp server has address such as afp://................................/public. they want the files in the public folder listed on the departmental web site.someone suggesting using proxy to channel a url to the afp server. are there any examples around I can see how this could done?but i'm also thinking about directory listing on apache. I know it is a security issue. The top level web site directory listing is disabled. But I can enable a single subfolder directory listing by inserting .htaccess file into that subfolder.I'm not sure if directory listing is a good way to do this. Is it a big no-no in terms of security? Do I have to go down the proxy route?directory listing just seems much easier, no need to mess around with .httpd, is directory listing acceptable in this case?manythankssu

suy, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  2. bestemployer

bestemployer Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you create a VirtualHost for the files listing? You can disable file listing for the whole server and enable it for specific VirtualHosts. +the VirtualHost's ServerRoot does not have to be where the example.com/ ServerRoot is, so it all fits your requirements well. (I can't post links, so just try Googling "disable index apache2" and "setting up vhosts apache2")

bestemployer, Aug 17, 2012 IP