1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is ASP the future or not?

Discussion in 'C#' started by simplythewebst, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Audiomad

Audiomad Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking of picking up a programming language to learn, its been between either PHP, Ruby on Rails and ASP.net from a designer stand point I like the simplicity of Ruby but trying to set up a development kit just to test it has thrown up a lot of issues on windows and linux, PHP is its self is a lot of learning to do big things but from the looks ASP.net seems to remove the need for a lot of coding and at least from my view seems to be going for simplicity with a lot of power.

I want to work on a simple cms that I can use for my sites instead of working with Joomla and others that are very bulky. ASP.net from the development kit has lots of demo's and some basic scripts ready to use and very little coding in them compared with the same as PHP.

It would come down to both PHP and ASP.net because the scalability of each, PHP is very popular and most hosts support it, then ASP.net hosting is that little bit more expensive but if big sites come around using it that could change giving that it would increase its popularity.

I was looking around for ways to install asp.net on a linux server and came up with mono, microsoft released cre "or something like that" on an open source bases so development into linux has already begun.

Just my view from a designer stand point.

Audiomad, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like it. It's definitely not from a programmer's point of view since you are comparing apples, oranges and basketballs.
    Say what?
    Simplicity, yes. Non-standard, broken markup and far less power? Yes.
    Yes. The bastard child trying to infect *nix with their disease while staying two versions or so behind the current release. There's a reason true *nix developers shun Mono. You'll be alone and on your own and no one will talk to you.
    I can tell.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  3. Audiomad

Audiomad Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep see I'm not looking for the next big trend / site, When I say designer stand point. I'm looking for a language that has a good structure and easy to follow examples. Have you looked at the examples on the asp.net site of the Twitter app it uses very small amounts of code "good few lines" but the method in which the api is called is very simply and displayed.

I've done C programming before in college for computer programming but did not like it, I'm looking for something with flexibility for a newbie and when I've picked up enough of it it would still be worth using and a larger scale.

Audiomad, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Then you should be looking at Python but I don't know if a designer can pick it up. However, you said you looked at Ruby. ASP.NET is not anything I would tell a newbie to learn as a first language.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  5. aisyaziz

aisyaziz Guest

Best Answers:
    i'm actually a little unsure myself. but it might be. it has a lot of new features and do update with the latest technology.

i'm looking at mvc. they are growing and changing but who would know for sure. :)

aisyaziz, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  6. DerickThomas

DerickThomas Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely, ASP is the future, because of it's developing dynamic, interactive and specially user friendlier interfaces.

DerickThomas, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  7. varrav

varrav Member

Best Answers:
    ASP .NET is popular among large companies (with MVC growing). It's probably not the sole "future", but its a popular technology.

varrav, Jun 6, 2012 IP
  8. bragg

bragg Peon

Best Answers:
    ASP is quite easier in comparison to java

bragg, Jun 14, 2012 IP
  9. bragg

bragg Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone of you tell,whether i should choose ASP.net as developer or PHP as a developer??because some people say php has no reputation

bragg, Jun 14, 2012 IP
  10. TasteOfPower

TasteOfPower Peon

Best Answers:
    The future?

FUCK NO!

I had been doing .NET my whole life. I recently switched to PHP a few years ago.

TasteOfPower, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  11. TasteOfPower

TasteOfPower Peon

Best Answers:
    Go with PHP. Youll be happier in the long run.

TasteOfPower, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  12. dylanrodriguez2012

dylanrodriguez2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Guys.

ASP.NET is not limited to script languages, it allows you to make use of .NET languages like C#, J#, VB, etc. It allows developers to build very compelling applications by making use of Visual Studio, the development tool provided by Microsoft. ASP.NET is purely server-side technology. It is built on a common language runtime that can be used on any Windows server to host powerful ASP.NET web sites and technologies.

All your comment for programming development are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

dylanrodriguez2012, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  13. quotemeremovals

quotemeremovals Peon

Best Answers:
    most person choose asp and better future asp.

quotemeremovals, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  14. DaveInFL

DaveInFL Peon

Best Answers:
    Asp.net is great, the ties to and quality assurance of Microsoft mean that government and banking institutions use it. (Good jobs) Also a great point is that virtually the same code can be used for desktop applications.

DaveInFL, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  15. Dynamo_M

Dynamo_M Guest

Best Answers:
    ASP itself has been dead for quite some time
    ASP.NET WebForms is a joke where it is more suitable for intranets
    ASP.NET MVC is massively underrated but likely (along with ROR) dominate

Sadly MVC only seems to get attention outside the .NET world when ROR is mentioned, if you ever did web develop I would (as would MS and every other .NET programmer) suggest avoid WebForms unless its an internal intranet, MVC has a very strong future ahead, unfortunately the only way to prove that here would be really to compare it to say PHP and that really would only start a pointless flamewar.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    Dynamo_M, Aug 5, 2012 IP
  16. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to say you have no idea about asp.net.
    If you use c# your demand is always increasing day by day.
    C# is going to most popular for windows phone and win-8 programming.

lolpasslol, Aug 12, 2012 IP
    DaveInFL likes this.
  17. dylanrodriguez2012

dylanrodriguez2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Guys.

Along with RAD, Microsoft could truly enter into the space of Enterprise applications by getting into the world of OOPs (Object Oriented Programming), as before .NET Microsoft's best bet was Visual Basic (VB 6.0) for windows applications, which supported a variant type and using procedural programming practices. Though VB 6.0 was popular, but could certainly not penetrate in enterprise application space.

All your comment for programming development and mobile solutions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

dylanrodriguez2012, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  18. SitesTen

SitesTen Active Member

Best Answers:
    There will be always .NET, Java, PHP, Python, Ruby and Perl (and a lot more) fans but you cannot tell that one or other technology is the feature of the web development. Actually right now PHP is the most used. .NET and Java may be better for a larger scale applications.

SitesTen, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  19. Max796

Max796 Guest

Best Answers:
    I personally much prefer PHP, the servers are all GNU free to use and I think it's both quicker and easier to create stable growth capable systems.

Max796, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  20. ronitmathurseo

ronitmathurseo Member

Best Answers:
    ASP is not future but if you use ASP.net then it is future of WEB. Do you know more than 50 % of web server are on IIS server. ASP.net provide most feature than any other web language of framework. If want to develop a light website then you can use PHP and ASP.net but if you are planning to develop a heavy load website then you must have to use a hard code technique like ASP.net. Here PHP is not working good except FB. Evan Google and Yahoo also develop some part in ASP.net. And also there are version available for Linux, Android, iPhone etc. So you can think future of ASP.net.

ronitmathurseo, Oct 26, 2012 IP