1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you pay $500 to buy a domain to potentially re-sell it to a this company?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by eritrea1, Aug 12, 2012.

There is a domain name, someone purchased it long ago and does not need it but wants to sell it for no less than 500$. Let's say this domain name is called ACANA

On the other there is a HUGE company with 32 Million dollar capital who manufactures sells products called Exactly ACANA and since they or their designers could not locate or ask the person who owns ACANA.com ( the site does not have a file and gives a 404 page ) they chose to register a domain under ACANAproducts.com

So, logically it makes sense that the company would be willing to buy the domain name ACANA.com and I have already reached an agreement with the person, for the sale of the domain for $400.

So, my question to you is, would you take a chance of buying the domain name even without asking the company will purchase it later? And, if so for how much would you re-sale it?

eritrea1, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  2. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Only if I can afford the risk, namely of the company possibly going after me for potential domain-trademark infringement. A Google search might give you clues on the company in question.

Dave Zan, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  3. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, the company ACANNA does not appear to be put off by cybersquatters at all. This is evident in the fact that they went and bought a different domain. Also, the fact that the company never contacted the current domain owner and made an offer, also the fact that the current domain owner never received any legal threats from the company. In all likelihood, this company spent a lot of money in marketing their domain and may not be interested in buying the .com version at all.

Just something to think about...

Rian, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  4. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    While I understand some people don't appreciate others reselling domain names, that's not necessarily wrong or scummy. Others do that on other stuff every other day: cars, land, paintings, etc.

But, I guess the people complaining are those who just can't have their way over things that don't belong to them. It's fine to complain all you like, though, and cheers.

Dave Zan, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  5. eritrea1

eritrea1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How can the company sue me, or even ask me to give the domain just because it relates to their brand name? I don't understand, doesn't all TLD accredited registrars give a period of month, so corporate establishments can buy their domain names before making them available for the public. Even, recently it was the case the .tel and .pro names. But, after these corporates miss the time frame, ANYONE can own and resale the domain name. And, most can even refuse to sell it. like the case of mj.com

Anyway, the company couldn't buy it because, the domain gives 404 page, and whois does not have adequate information about the owner, that is why I think, they will be interested. Besides, I have sold them 2 domains before, which they currently own ACANA.me and ACANA.net they paid, 400 for both cash, without argument ( These domains are not real, it's just for example )

Anyway, even if you don't think so, please tell me how much you would ask for it.

and ignore the troll please

eritrea1, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    While domain-trademark issues aren't always black and white, an idea behind that is you're potentially "riding" on someone's trademark
    to make money off of them should you try to sell them a domain name bearing their mark. Anyone can register any domain name even
    if it bears a trademark, but not everyone uses that trademark-bearing-domain for financial gain.

If you mean you actually sold a domain name or two to that same party, be aware that they can always use that against you in the near
    future. There are cases where one seemingly buys a domain name innocently, then changes their mind and holds someone liable after.

That's why I suggested you do a Google search to at least give you some hints as to how likely they might, say, change their mind. One
    can only hope for the best, yet try to expect the worst and be ready to deal with it.

Heh, if only life is as easy as we all want it to be. Good luck.

Dave Zan, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  7. eritrea1

eritrea1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think your logic concerning the line above is highly flawed upon. Let's say someone I know, owns facebook.ir because, at the time of his purchase facebook was owned probably by an individual and his registrar simply agreed to sell it to him just like any domain name. Now, that facebook is a huge company, do you think it makes sense that, if the guy wanted to sell that domain to facebook, he could/should be sued? That, is outrageous and blatant disregard of any practical law of whatsoever.

The same goes for the domain name. It was purchased in 1998, even if it was purchased yesterday the same law is applied.

eritrea1, Aug 13, 2012 IP
    RAND0M1ZER likes this.
  8. myownself

myownself Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nothing wrong with it. If you can afford the risk, do it.

myownself, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  9. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    Ah, you mean the case where the domain name is registered before its trademark namesake existed. Generally you're safe if that's
    the case, although there are certain exceptions.

The problem with attempting to sell a domain name bearing a trademark to its mark holder is you might be seen as profiting from it
    because you recognize its potential worth and acknowledge its existence after. You might be safe if they approached you rather
    than the other way around, although there have been disputes of trademark holders still pursuing domain owners even after being
    rejected anyway.

Now, maybe you won't mind paying $500 if you're a trademark holder and someone tries to sell you a domain name bearing that at
    only that price. Alas, not everyone thinks that way and may try to leverage whatever laws or administrative processes they can.

At the end of the day, it boils down to who you're potentially dealing with. Unfair or not, just be aware of what you're getting into.

I wouldn't say there's nothing wrong with it, albeit I agree it's the OP's call if he can afford the risk. It's his behind, after all.

Dave Zan, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  10. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    If there is a trademark involved, you should not buy the domain.

If the company is the only company that sells that product or with a similar domain, then they may feel no pressure to buy it.

If there are several companies or websites that sell the same product, and there is no trademark involved (i.e. the domain is for a generic product or service or a common word or phrase), then you might be justified in taking the risk.

ImageAuthors, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  11. Johnamc

Johnamc Peon

Best Answers:
    Not always, but a good guide for starters.

Johnamc, Aug 18, 2012 IP
  12. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    it would be much safer for you if you'd act as a broker for that company and would have agreement with them to acquire that name for them for a fee because of:
    1) no investment risk
    2) no lawsuit risk

atxsurf, Aug 18, 2012 IP
  13. eritrea1

eritrea1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the responses.
    But the company is based in Northern Africa, and generally companies / people in these regions are not as active in lawsuits as in sue-happy people in the US. Anyway, when I bought the domain names and proposed to sell them, they did not even argue, they just told me to name the price and after having purchased the domains for $12 each, I sold them for $200 each and they just bought it. And, I know for the fact, that they are interested in buying the most important domain name for business. It is like just as much Nike.com is as important it is for Nike. And, imagine, if Nike we not able to buy that name, and you bought it from someone else.

Nevertheless, I have established, they are filthy rich corporation and was only wandering how much you would ask for it ( assume there were no risks ) ?

eritrea1, Aug 18, 2012 IP