1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are site maps still a good idea

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by outsourcethis, Jul 30, 2012.

I hear differing opinions about the need or benifits of sitemaps. Is it still a good idea? I don;t know how that will help a forum type website. They seem to be more geared towards a normal website.
    All opinions welcome

outsourcethis, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  2. flotwig

flotwig Peon

Best Answers:
    They're still good, even on forums, but a good sitemap only supplements good SEO.

flotwig, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  3. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing that sitemaps are still getting new features by Google, I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon :)

websitetools, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  4. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is definitely still useful, even for forums, it can help balance weight and update frequency between different pages on your site so that Google can display proper links to the main sections of the forum in their results.

ironcladservers, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  5. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think a big benefit of site maps is that they keep us aware of how we have our sites organized. Just going through them may trigger ideas on how to organize the page hierarchy in a more logical and efficient way.

COBOLdinosaur, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  6. sueayinde

sueayinde Peon

Best Answers:
    yes site maps are very beneficial not only for user as well as for search engine also. Search Engine loves site map as they can easily crawl the every page of website.

sueayinde, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  7. oldben

oldben Peon

Best Answers:
    I use site maps on google and I have a better results. I tried without site map two months ago and I noticed that google didn't indexed some of the pages in my site.
    This never happens with site map.

oldben, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  8. 123Tax

123Tax Peon

Best Answers:
    Im surprised that this is even a debate, a sitemap is a fundamental part of a good site.

123Tax, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  9. Numenorean7

Numenorean7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although I definitely believe that a site map is an essential part of a forum board, I still read here and there that it may not be that useful. I have to admit that I never had a chance to test the "before and after" of the site map, as I always used to have one at any given time.

That being said, I think that search engines will likely take some time to go through all the new stuff being posted on your board, so there's no way a site map wouldn't help them update all the new info they need in order to properly index all the new content of your community.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    Numenorean7, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  10. damian_p

damian_p Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitemaps can help you optimize your site page hierarchy and structure. Sitemaps are useful for search engines as well but ever since people found out they can use sitemaps to get their pages indexed on google, they started abusing.

You could use a sitemap to index your pages faster.

damian_p, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  11. laney69er

laney69er Peon

Best Answers:
    One of many uses of sitemaps is submitting an updated one to Google Webmaster to improve SEO ranking. I also know some users that sometimes look at [DOMAIN].com/sitemap.xml to sometimes understand the layout structure of particular websites

laney69er, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  12. CafaMagician80

CafaMagician80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forums can do without a Sitemap, the pages will get indexed properly anyway, but if you got a good solution which submits Sitemap automatically, it doesn't hurt. As long as the Sitemap is accurate at any given point in time.

CafaMagician80, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  13. kradha707

kradha707 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes sitemap's they are always good, if we don't submit a sitemap to google how can google indexed our pages.

kradha707, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  14. Amir1313

Amir1313 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    А что делать если карта сайта будет состоять из 2 страниц? Как на этом сайте погоды в томске http://pogoda.nirvana.fm/

Amir1313, Mar 13, 2014 IP