1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to remove old urls it shows 404 errors in sitemap

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by action script, Aug 8, 2012.

I use my site url about us page like this "www. site name . com / about-us.html" and changed like this "www. site name . com / aboutus" i remove "-" and .html and i create new sitemap.xml also but when i check in google webmaster tool it shows 404 error for this "www. site name . com / about-us.html" but i did not have like this url page in my website.. how to remove this url

Solved! View solution.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    action script, Aug 8, 2012 IP
    From my experience with 404 errors or any errors, if you login to your hosting panel, normally there is a builtin script there, and all you have to do is put checkmarks in the boxes with the re-direct URL, so any pages that come up 404s they are just pointed to alternate pages.

GameGirl1979, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  3. action script

action script Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your nice reply Gamegirl.....

So 301 redirection is only way to solve 404 error pages or other any way is there ?

action script, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  4. GameGirl1979

GameGirl1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't know if 301 redirection is the ONLY way, but it fixed my problem by making all the 404 error pages go away and have them re-directed to the index page instead.

GameGirl1979, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  5. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    I myself came across this type of errors with my site.correct the urls which have errors and re-submit the sitemap again.it will take time to show the update .

unknownpray, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  6. freeadstime

freeadstime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do a 301 redirect and you can check the fixed error option in Google Webmaster Tools. This is a newer feature they have in webmaster tools.

freeadstime, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  7. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As others have suggested, you should always redirect your old URLs to the new ones. You transfer link juice and avoid users and crawlers seeing errors

websitetools, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  8. GameGirl1979

GameGirl1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats what I was thinking, a re-direct is better then losing a visitor, he could also just make new pages and re-name them, he might have duplicate pages but thats better then errors also. BTW website tools, your site is very nice and I am downloading the evaluation of the analyzer tool right now..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    GameGirl1979, Aug 12, 2012 IP