1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bought Web Directory - Saying I Need MD5 Password - He Telling The Truth!?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by TeDWooD, Aug 8, 2012.

I'm hoping this is the relevant part of the forum as you guys are all so good with PHP.
    With no prior experience I've recently bought a web directory. However there have been a few issues.
    When I move the files over from his hosting to mine I get an error message.
    He then said that he would move the site for me if I gave him my cpanel and password.
    I gave him my FTP access instead but he said that he 'couldn't create mysql and install db'.

After that I asked for the access to the admin part of the directory as it's run off php link directory and he said that he couldn't login with his old password after the (unsuccessful) site move.
    He said that it's encrypted with MD5 and that I can use this link to create an md5 password - http://md5-hash-online.waraxe.us/.

Does this guy sound legit and are these proper reasons as to why the website isn't working properly!?

TeDWooD, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  2. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, he seems legit.

You cannot move a website with only FTP access; all serious web directory scripts host their data on MySQL or other database format, and thus access to MySQL is a must-have when you move a website.

You cannot just copy over files and have a website working - a site move is a more complex thing 99% of the cases, unless you purchased a website made only of static html files.

MagnetiCat, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  3. TeDWooD

TeDWooD Member

Best Answers:
    What is the best way to go about this without giving him my cpanel details?
    I don't want to give away my cpanel login details as I have numerous websites which could potentially be hacked etc...

TeDWooD, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  4. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that he will need to restore the MySQL backup - and it is unlikely he can do it without SSH access to the machine, as web directories databases are usually big.

5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've moved big databases (but not enormous) using sqlyog. Takes time but I'm concerned the OP has insufficient experience at website management of any kind to do this.

The admin login password shouldn't change just because of a server change. It may be encrypted with the domain name but that has stayed the same, right?

sarahk, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  6. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat Active Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly have no idea about the admin password thing - I do not understand what he is referring to. If he is referring to an htaccess protected area, then it is possible the corresponding password was stored elsewhere in the system in an htpasswd file and did not transfer.

If the Web Directory is even average in size, it is unlikely he will be unable to import it through a web based tool - but then again, it certainly depends on the topic of the Web Directory. Only the category structure file of a Web Directory like DMOZ takes nearly 1 GB; the actual data I think about twice as that.