1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the Risks involved with paypal as a seller ?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by poseidon, Nov 22, 2006.

Hi, I have heard some real horrible stories about paypal and how your money can get stuck for months. Now as a seller, I can only accept paypal to accept the amount. So what are the things I need to take care of to keep myself on the safer side ?

Should I only accept from CC verified paypal users ? Also how much money should i keep into my paypal account at any time as I only ask for check when I need money.

Regards

poseidon, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have had a lot of money held in paypal and I have experience in risk management for payment processing and whatever system paypal uses in not a normal system.

A few things that I have found that will set off flags in their system:
    Huge increases in processing volume or transaction amounts.
    Large withdrawals.
    Increase in returns or disputes.

Sometimes it is really easy to get your account frozen, and sometimes it is not. I have seen paypal ask for anything from supplier contact information, to individual tracking numbers, so make sure you keep any documentation related to the transactions.

jestep, Nov 22, 2006 IP
    Cutting Edge likes this.
  3. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    so what willl you advice a seller ? My concerns are after selling something I don't want the buyer to put charge back and get money from my account.

poseidon, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  4. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What type of products are you currently selling? Is it all virtual, or are you selling physical products as well?

jestep, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  5. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The buyers always have the right to charge back.
    The less,the better IMO.
    I couldn't find any safer ways...To me,it's just LUCKY or UNLUCKY.

Richie_Ni, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  6. SubmitShop

SubmitShop Banned

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with Richie.Since no other good option is there we have to go with paypal.For us the main issue is that withdrawal amount is limited.

SubmitShop, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am very afraid of it as I have a directory I log in to my admininstration only at weekends

as if any body paid me for featured links they may charge me back if I did not approve them within a few days

Freewebspace, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  8. Seph

Seph Peon

Best Answers:
    Automate it then? Paypal offers instant payment notification, I have that on my site and it's working sweet, never had a complaint from any customer and the random checks I've done has checked out fine.

Seph, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  9. Cutting Edge

Cutting Edge Guest

Best Answers:
    jestep, thanks for some good advice here. I too have heard plenty of stories about PayPal and your advice is useful to me as I plan on using it for transactions in the near future. Thanks!

Cutting Edge, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  10. symmetric

symmetric Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I have heard some real horrible stories about paypal and how your money can get stuck for months.

In my experience, one really important factor is to just paying attention to detail when setting up your account. For example, when entering the address for a credit card, make sure that the address matches the one on your credit card statement. Also, when you go through the verification steps, do it in a timely manner. These are all really easy things to do, of course. But if you don't do these basic things right, they can be a red flag to PayPal.

I have experience working with a few hundred customers that use a PayPal integration service we offer. The only ones that had trouble were those that didn't pay attention to detail.

symmetric, Nov 24, 2006 IP