1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my new website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by StreamingPapers, Aug 3, 2012.

Hi!

I would really like some feedback on my new website: Streaming Papers

Tell my what you think, if this is a website you could see yourself use at a daily basis or not, (please add why).
    If you like it, please share it! :)

Regards
    Streaming Papers

StreamingPapers, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not too keen on the appearance, it's an interesting idea.

What I didn't like: the appearance (it felt like from the 90s); the long list of papers (it's too much to go through); the layout (you could have a better placement for the newspapers and also allow the map to be closed once they have been selected).

What I did like - the idea of being able to select a country from a map and choose a newspaper. It would be nice to go down to city or regional level, to make it easier, or change the way the newspapers are listed.

Anyway, good luck, keep at it. With improvements, I might consider using it on a daily basis. Especially if there was a smartphone "compatible" way to view the news. (Just in terms of how the news is rendered, i.e. suitable for smaller screens.)

ryan_uk, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  3. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn, I was hoping you would not say anything about the appearence, hehe. I just spent a couple of days redesigning it because I wasnt happy with the looks. Can you please elaborate on what you mean with it feeling like the 90s? The way I see it this is the most efficient way to present everything I want on the page, but I am open for suggestions if you have some? :)
    I can agree with the long list of papers, unfortunately the html you can use in flash objects is very limited. When you mention the layout, are you meaning the placement of the list of papers in the map, or where the papers open when clicked? And if you have a good reason to why the map should be closed when the papers are selected, I would love to hear it? :)

The original idea was to drill down to regional level, but in the functionality of the map the drill down took some time, and it was complicated for the user to zoom out again. And since I am not locally known in every country in the world, it would have been difficult to pin the different papers to regions. Any tip on how to list the papers other than alphabetic?

I have considered a mobile version, but I have not figured out how to arrange the page. Open for suggestions :)

I really appreciate your feedback, it gives me something to think about and further develop the site!

StreamingPapers, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  4. a++

a++ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The domain name is really catchy.The design as said already is too old.Don't use frames.There are many CMS available that you can use with no coding required.

a++, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  5. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your answers. The loading time bugs me aswell, any tip on how to lower loading time?
    I have coded this site from scratch, I dont want to use any CMS, I prefer coding things myself.

I am not using frames, all is done with css. But I am curious to what you mean its looking old though? If you have any suggestions on a better layout you are welcome to speak your mind :)

StreamingPapers, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mate,

Sorry for the belated reply. I kept on meaning to, but my brain has been too tired for a reply that requires some thought (12 hour shifts).

Maybe you can have A-E, F-J, etc, and they are displayed collapsed by default and then expand those.

Also, do you need so many ads when someone's just choosing papers? Have them select papers, close the map, show the news feeds and ads. Do you remember iGoogle? Something like that, but with ads, is how the news is eventually presented. And can collapse the side bar navigation/instructions/search, just click to expand it when needed. (Similar to how sidebars work in Firefox, I think?)

By old looking... it just looks like a design from that era. Give it a more modern and blended look. Digg.com is now irrelevant, but it does have a nice appearance and clean appearance. The same with delicious.com.

Good luck!

ryan_uk, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  7. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi again,

Oh, how I would love to have the setup with A-E, but unfortunately its not possible to have such complicated HTML in Flash objects :( I will try to figure out a better solution using functions in the map itself maybe...
    I have considered your comment on ads, and decided to remove them for the time being, which drastically increased loading speed. Will have to consider until a later time where (and how many) to place them. I am also in the process of changing the color scheme of the site, with more open and bright colors. I might consider making it possible to collapse both the side bar and map. Will see how it goes. I never used iGoogle, but I hear they are closing it down?

Thanks again for valuable feedback :)

StreamingPapers, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  8. vickysharma513

vickysharma513 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your website a little bit slow while opening. So please make some change or do something there. Else i like your website.

vickysharma513, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  9. junepinto

junepinto Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, your web site gud .....

junepinto, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  10. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your feedback. I will try to make it speed it up a little when I release my latest changes. :)

StreamingPapers, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  11. todion

todion Member

Best Answers:
    Poor navigation and website are not making user friendly that way bounce rate of website is higher always and linking structure at index page is not visible.

todion, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  12. Jonathan en Oscar

Jonathan en Oscar Peon

Best Answers:
    i like the concept.

maybe you could make a more hyping and commanding title above it or on the left to maybe make more people use it.

Jonathan en Oscar, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  13. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not quite sure what you mean with this? Commanding title over what? :)

StreamingPapers, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  14. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Several changes today, completely changed the color scheme from red/gray to white/blue. Alot of small details trying to make the website look more fresh and modern. New fonts etc.
    I also tried compressing both css and javascript files, resulting in 78/100 performance grade on Pingdom Tools, faster than 81% of all tested websites.

StreamingPapers, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  15. vharee

vharee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    good site DPers......

vharee, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  16. jenyfarlopej

jenyfarlopej Member

Best Answers:
    The design is looking good but is too simple. Your design is great. I think your concept is very nice. Overall nice work.

jenyfarlopej, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  17. Bloggertricksbiz

Bloggertricksbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice and excellent looking site. i double like it:)

Bloggertricksbiz, Aug 9, 2012 IP
  18. lachzb9be

lachzb9be Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there. very nice idea, but as often said the design is awefull and the loading time is much to high. what server do you use and what do you used to code the flash plugins? flex?

lachzb9be, Aug 10, 2012 IP
  19. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)
    To those commenting on awful design, I am curious as to how you would approach setting up the design? Any ideas I could consider?
    Although I have improved loading time, I still want to push it down further, maybe load javascript last (or dynamically). How long does it take to load the site from your location? My browser cached it all, so I am not a reliable source.

Its hosted by aspnetHosting. The flash map is bought from AmMap, not flex version.

EDIT: Combined css files, moved javascript and dynamically load the largest ones. Reduced page and image size. Significantly improvements on PingdomTools :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    StreamingPapers, Aug 10, 2012 IP
  20. StreamingPapers

StreamingPapers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much :)

StreamingPapers, Aug 14, 2012 IP