1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Proxy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Business' started by antman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. tom11011

tom11011 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, I'll stick with adsense, but thanks for the info, didn't realize CPM was so bad.

tom11011, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  2. darkbasement

darkbasement Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Special Offer
    Featured Listing on tigerproxy.net
    $6.00 for 6 months/paypal gift.
    send PM to buy.

Limited Time!

darkbasement, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  3. vahing

vahing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just made a new proxy list. Please submit your proxies to Daily Web Proxies.

Thanks,
    vahing

vahing, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  4. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anybody here using embed proxies? Sounds good. I got about 30 domain lying around and I thought it would be nice if I turn them into proxies. But maintaining a VPS is too much hassle for me(also costs money). Embed proxies seems to be answer to my prayers. I will try them out today. If anyone's using them please share your experience.

newbie191, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  5. UncleP

UncleP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's a name I haven't heard in a while, embed proxies, I didn't know they were still going. From what I've seen though from using them, you don't have a lot of control once anyone starts surfing with them. They use an iframe to their own proxy site so once the user is on their site they don't return to yours so you've lost them. They also link to their own proxies (I would) on the proxified page too. They might be OK but I don't think it's the best solution or very practical these days.

I think a better way would be to use freeproxyhosting.net, I have a few dozen of my proxies there and they work really well. You use your own domain with it's own proxy page and when people click 'home' they go back to your site, so keep the visitors at your proxy. They have their own interface rather than installing Glype, which they use, so you just put your info in boxes in the admin panel for your account, adsense id, meta tags, content, visit counter/tracker code etc. It couldn't be easier tbh, make a free account, login, add domains, add content and change nameservers, job done. You get the home page ads (adsense) and they get the proxy page ads. They have quite a few themes built in as well, although you can use your own (or mod theirs) if you don't mind editing some basic code.

And they're now US hosted too, they were UK based but changed at Easter (early April) this year to US servers. Give them a try, it's free so you've nothing to lose, if you can do wordpress then this is even easier so you won't struggle. If I can do it anyone can. There's no limit on domains or traffic either so you can have as many as you want, and as busy as you need. I know I sound like an ad for them (sorry) but I would recommend them 100%. I use vps's and proxy hosting too, this is just another resource available, and it's free. Country blocking is also possible using javascript, not perfect it but works, PM me if you want the details.

UncleP, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  6. trafficpromo

trafficpromo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does anybody have hosting with dualrack? I'm running their hybrid VPS 2 with 8 low traffic proxies (around 5000 uniques a day combined according to aw stats), 1 low traffic proxy list, and a couple of non proxy sites with minimal traffic.
    Server loads are usually around .3 for cpu load and around 30% RAM usage.
    If I shoot out a cheap email blast via proxy.org for a bit of traffic the server crashes.
    I've seen cpu usage over 9 and RAM in the high 90%+ range. keep getting lfd failure emails and eventually end up with 500 error messages until I reboot it to bring sites back up.
    Does anybody know what could be wrong? Or is this something that sounds normal?
    They know what I'm using the VPS for, and they have optimised it for this purpose. All proxies are glype, using country blocking, downloads are limited to either 50Mb, or 100Mb (about half of each).
    Server runs fine with the normal traffic I get but as soon as I try and make a go of it everything crashes.
    The earnings do not warrant an upgrade of hosting, I don't make money out of it now.

Any tips? Anything would be appreciated, whether it be your ideas on rackspace VPS, server tweaks, optimisation ideas to get more money from existing traffic to earn enough for hosting upgrade, anything at this point would help me.

Additionally I've had a great response from proxy.org email blasts in the past, been well worth the 5 bucks. But this time I barely got any clicks to adsense :(

trafficpromo, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  7. tom11011

Best Answers:
    Well a vps is one of many virtual servers on a single physical server, you are competing with all the other users of the server for resources, sometimes those resources are not available depending on what else is going on with the server. How much memory does your vps have assigned? Many times the vps is configured to never allow you to go over a certain limit of physical cpu/memory resources as to not jeopardize the experience for all the other users, but it doesn't sound this way. It may simply be the server is oversubscribed. If you are in the neighborhood of 5000 unique visitors per day, you are right at the border of needing a physical dedicated server, I've been there. But having said that, 5000 uniques per day should be netting you about ~$200-$250 in adsense each month so you should be able to afford a dedicated server. Just my .02 cents.

tom11011, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  8. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input tom

According to the claims on the website (and in WHM) my VPS has 2Gb memory available and the server has 24Gb so by that I can assume that if all VPS accounts on the same server have the same plan as me then there are 12 VPS accounts on the server. (They have different VPS accounts available ranging from 1Gb to 6Gb memory)
    Server runs 4 x 2.27Ghz xeon CPUs according to WHM, on their website it says dual quad core intel processors.

As for earnings I'm not making anything near that. If I was I'd happily grab a dedicated. I guess it's time to start working on optimising adsense a little. I'll also check to make sure crap traffic is blocked on all sites however I do believe I went through and did this a month or so ago. I must admit I never did go back through to make sure it was working. Perhaps that is my problem.
    I have one adsense unit about middle of the page in the text on main page and 2 side by side just above the url bar.
    Other ads I have are a yahoo group box below url bar and adfly on prox page of one site and traffic revenue on other sites but this will be removed this week and adfly included instead.

9. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    U.S. is the top traffic on 4 of my sites,
    2nd on 3 of my sites,
    3rd on 1 of the sites.

So the majority of traffic is U.S. based traffic which I believe is the way I want it?
    Germany and Saudi Arabia would be 2nd and 3rd There is some very small amount of China getting through but it's very minimal.

10. qwerty6666

qwerty6666 Member

Best Answers:
    what web server you use on your vps ? If you use apache id sugest you move to lighttpd . i would also suggest you to block/redirect traffic from iran .

Yup sound normal lot of user acces the proxy at the same . As example even with lighttpd when a user surf a vid on youtube it use 100MB ram on my server .

I dont use awstat i use histat for my proxy i belive it have more accurate stats for proxy . I got 1600 Unique visitor per day on homepage around 3000 Pageview and 20'000 proxified page surfed and i rarely get over 1.5GB ram used and cpu 1

those hybrid vps are almost server . 4gb ram with guarenteed cpu share they cost 85$ a month id expect from them the same than from a regular server

qwerty6666, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  11. tom11011

Best Answers:
    Ok, let me ask you a few questions. What is your click % on those 5000 daily visits for this proxy? Ideally you should be seeing at least 1%. What is the link to your proxy, feel free to im it to me if you want. Also, this may be counter-intuitive, but I found that advertising your proxy on proxy lists is sometimes a bad move, it attracts the worst traffic that doesn't pay much in adsense. When I started my proxy up, I did the proxy.org $5 dollar thing the first month but after that, the site just kind of took off on its own and I have never advertised since. I just checked for the first time the other day and can't believe it, but after a year now, my site is a PR3. I can't really say what the best thing to do is but I have done a little experimenting to see what works good for me. Today, I own just one large proxy that brings in about 8-10000 visits per day. This keeps the server pretty busy.

tom11011, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  12. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    Qwerty, server is running apache, Iran doesn't feature in the top 25 countries on 7 of my proxies, it is responsible for a fair amount of traffic on the 8th one though.

Tom,
    Click thru is very low.
    Fist month I started ctr was just under 1% and it was a worthwhile month, I actually made some money lol. Apr, May, Jun, and July are all below .5%
    One of my sites is dominated.info It's just using the default template, I have been meaning to change this on all my sites but never really got around to it. I am planning to do this soon. I just have to get motivated. Up until last month I wasn't too concerned. Now it's up near the top of my todo list.

13. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    Oh, and the promotion I've done was submitting to around 100 toplists manually, gold packages on proxynoid, and an email blast from proxy.org for each site. All this was spread over the first month.

14. tom11011

Best Answers:
    ok, here is my opinion for what it is worth.

Loose the top banner.
    Change your Large blocks to text only. This will give 8 choices to click instead of two.
    Place a link unit underneath the text box.

Also, lose all the links at the bottom of the page, all of them. Why give your users something to click other than an adsense ad? If you want to have a link or two on your site fine, but why not charge for them? You have 5000 unique visitors, that is worth $5 a month or more to have a link placed on your page.

Tom

tom11011, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  15. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    Thanks Tom, I will try that on another site and send out another email blast and see what happens :) (I sent out a blast for that site 3 days ago so will try on another site)

Most of those links at the bottom are for proxy toplists, with a couple of small exceptions (ie my own sites) I do see your point and I will drop them from one site to see how that will end up affecting my long term traffic. (most of the toplists will drop my site once I remove the backlink)

I have 8 sites to experiment with so I'm more than heppy to change if there is even a small possibility of coming out better off.

16. tom11011

Best Answers:
    Maybe move the links to a sub page instead of the home page. The proxy list probably just wants the back link and may not care about its visability.

tom11011, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  17. turntablist100

turntablist100 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you getting any traffic from similar proxies ?

turntablist100, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  18. trafficpromo

Best Answers:
    Na not in the top 30 referrers turntablist.
    Most of my traffic for last month actually came from proxynoid.
    The rest came from blogs and email clients mostly.

trafficpromo, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  19. WebEvader

WebEvader Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might have seen these templates before, but over at the WebEvader.org blog you can now find two brand new Glype templates for free. Both are also compatible with the latest version of Glype.

We are planning on releasing a few more soon, if there are any styles etc of template that you would like to see just PM me and we will hopefully get it made :)

You can see the previews of our two currently released ones below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WebEvader, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  20. megadeth199

megadeth199 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey guys,
    I want to return in proxy business and i wanted to know where are the best hosting price ?

megadeth199, Aug 4, 2012 IP