1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

social media consulting??? help?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by quatto, Jul 3, 2012.

Ok, here is my situation, I am hoping a few of the folks here can help me out.

I train brazilian jiu jitsu. I have been for the last 5 years. My school (who have become like family to me) needs someone to handle their social media/marketing issues.

Faceboook page, likes, ads, events, photos, posts

Twitter - build a targeted following, share videos, news, etc...

Blog - articles for their blog, share them, etc...

That is the obvious stuff and the basic stuff they need right now. They don't have the knowledge or time to do it themselves.

There could be a ton of other things I could do but lets keep it simple for the moment. And assume they will need the 3 things above with all the things that come along with it. Gathering photos, posting, getting followers, marketing their school, etc...

Since they have seen some of my sites and profiles for FB and Twitter (I mostly do some affiliate marketing for myself etc.) they asked me if I could do the above for them.

It would be my first social marketing client and on top of that I don't want to rape them. what is a fair fee? What could I charge for lets say working on their stuff 2 hours a day or something?

Of course their word of mouth will help me expand as well. But lets assume this is the only client I take on...

what is a fair asking price for this?

quatto, Jul 3, 2012 IP
  2. SteveBar

SteveBar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you want to give them a break for your work - in that case it might be unfair to offer a suggestion. Sometimes - there is an advertising budget - if it is a good school and you want to do it for a fee - I would ask them what they might have available for doing the work - then you could decide from there. You could also see what other social media consultants etc are charging - check out ODesk that will have outsourced jobs - and you'll get a good idea of prices for services....if you dont want to be into it over the long term you could do the kickoff and then suggest they get someone at Odesk to update it on a regular basis. It seems once you know how to do something with Social Media family and friends want to take advantage of your skills and that's understandable - like Can you do a page for me? and then you end up doing everyone else's business but your own. You need to write up a business plan - with fees for services and stick to it - unless you decide to do it for friends and family for free.

SteveBar, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  3. 99sanni

99sanni Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You could also see what other social media consultants etc are charging - check out ODesk that will have outsourced jobs - and you'll get a good idea of prices for services
    try this may be right

99sanni, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  4. rubeljoy

rubeljoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Better with the same offer you talk with another few such service providers and ask their rates. Then you will get a good idea regarding the price and you charge a fair one.

rubeljoy, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  5. Marco Casario

Marco Casario Peon

Best Answers:
    for 4 hrs a day work and for 5 days a week, it can be done for $300 a month by an outsourcer in the Philippines. If you charge more then just outsource it. I outsource to the Philippines.

Marco Casario, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  6. Watkins

Watkins Peon

Best Answers:
    My thoughts are fairly similar, do some market research and understand what other companies are charging. I would also talk to freelancers as rates between freelancers and companies can vary hugely. Unfortunately I do not think you will get much information from this sort of question on the thread unless freelancers local to you give you some advice as I can imagine the rates here in London are very different to the rates where you are.

Step 1 - Talk to freelancers and companies to figure out the 'market rate'.

Step 2 - Decide if you want to be price competitive or 'high quality - high price' or somewhere in between.

Step 3 - Get the ball rolling, get the school on as a client and look at potential new clients (if this is something you want to do). The school will most likely be more than happy to pay you what you want. This is because, if they are serious about social media, it is much cheaper to pay you than to hire a full time employee. Plus since you already work with them you are now a known quantity and a trusted member of their team. Obviously you do not want to rape them of all their funds, but yes try to see what their budget is and adjust your rates accordingly.

Good luck, you are in a strong position to get your social media freelancing career off the ground!

Watkins, Aug 3, 2012 IP